Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm 

During September 2016 I got back into vinyl (after having sold all my vinyl, TT and phono stage about 5 years earlier). The main buyer agreed to sell me back my 250 or so favourite records and my former Belles phono stage -great guy. I've bought about a dozen new vinyl records since then.

For a turntable I played it safe and decided on a sure bet -the new Rega P3 along with the Nagaoka MP110 cartridge but, not the PSU. A little over a year later and in spite of having a limited amount of vinyl, I got sold on the new P6. After all, if I added the PSU and certain upgrade parts (sub-platter, arm counter-weight, belt, etc) to the P3, I would surpass or wouldn't be far from the price difference between the trade-in value of my P3 and that of the new P6. And, turning 70 in 14 months time, I didn't see the point of waiting, like when I was raising a family. So last Thursday Nov. 16th, the new Rega P6 found its way into my home Nagaoka cartridge was transferred from the P3.

Before I try to describe the differences I heard, let me say that, having owned a Rega P5 and two LINNs - Axis then the Sondek LP12, I was not disappointed with the P3. Really great for the asking price.
What I heard with the P6. First, I obviously expected an improvement but, I got much more than I had anticipated. Instruments were better delineated yet integrated into a unified presentation. Bass notes were better defined. From what I've read, much of this would probably be attributed to the PSU ( it probably would have helped the P3 also).

The overall feeling I had was that of going from a band rehearsing to an onstage performance. More locked-in, dynamic and real. Yet, I was very pleasantly surprised that it's more detailed and dynamic approach did not lead to a more forward and aggressive presentation. In fact, I was surprised by the body and fullness of the music/sound -something that I had been missing since my Linn Sondek days. Vocals also sounded more there, more chest and depth.

In addition to a more musical delivery, I also like the new two-tone look of flat grey and sides of glossy black. Except for upgrading the cartridge when the MP110 is done, I believe that is what I will leave this world with and with no regrets -in regards to vinyl!

To conclude, for the first time since I sold the Sondek LP12, I don't miss it. I can't think of a higher compliment for the new Rega P6.

After all, there are other parts of the audio system to invest in -like deciding on a hard disc based system -especially for the 400 or so CDs which I rarely listen to because there are only a few choice cuts per CD -for my tastes and which move me.

For what its Worth, Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

Thanks for the excellent write-up.

I too owned an Axis, LP12 and various Regas including a P5/TT PSU combo. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between the P5 and the P6. I think the P5 had the higher arm and a very different base. I loved my P5 and also settled on a Nagaoka cartridge after the initial Rega Elyse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:12 pm 

Thanks for feedback.

Its been a while since the P5 left but, after I sold it I felt that it was the Rega cartridge (Exact, I believe) which left me cold.

That's why last Fall I selected a cartridge which had a more acoustic/rounded old-vinyl sound.

Hope this helps, Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:24 pm 

I will echo what Bob said, I'm still letting my new Planar 6 run in, - about 15 hours on the ANIA - so, I'm still getting the measure of what the cartridge is doing. So far, I'm pretty impressed, and YES ! the new 6 runs spot on speed !! 8)
One thing I'm really appreciating is that like all Regas it has PRAT to spare, which I think also correlates to what Bob says about being close to his linn, but without the fuss of a linn.. colour me happy ! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
20171111_165006_HDR.jpg
20171111_165006_HDR.jpg [ 180.25 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:53 pm 

Good to hear. I switched from Rega to Clearaudio which is more neutral for classical music but it certainly misses the PRaT of the Rega and Linn.

I switched to Rega as well because the LP12 did not get along well with the crap floors in my house. That issue is now fixed and I have a low slung rack more appropriate for a Linn so a Majik might eventually find itself in my system. But I would want to try the RP8 first as well....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Double D wrote:
I will echo what Bob said, I'm still letting my new Planar 6 run in, - about 15 hours on the ANIA - so, I'm still getting the measure of what the cartridge is doing. So far, I'm pretty impressed, and YES ! the new 6 runs spot on speed !! 8)
One thing I'm really appreciating is that like all Regas it has PRAT to spare, which I think also correlates to what Bob says about being close to his linn, but without the fuss of a linn.. colour me happy ! :mrgreen:
Doesn't hurt that it looks so damn nice too :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 pm 

I have the new P3 ( 2016)and a RP6 ( 2014) Both of them have the TTPSU. Also I have the full upgrade Groovetracers Subplatters
. So I don't know if the P6 would be a big sound difference.... What to you think?

Attachments:
22688393_1863250190370196_3639013967766262848_n.jpg
22688393_1863250190370196_3639013967766262848_n.jpg [ 44.41 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm 

very nice Justine! What are your thoughts ont the differences between the two Regas you own.

Would also like your impressions of the Groovetracers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 am 

The new P6 is definitely better than the previous P6 out of the box. They've made a few key improvements it seems.

I originally bought my P6 in 2015, and found it to be quite good, but still miles behind my Oracle Delphi. Over time I have basically built a whole new deck out of the P6 and I think the only original bits are the bearing sleeve and motor/electronics. Probably the best improvement was a Lim Isolation base, which decouples the motor from the plinth and significantly reduces background noise. Once all the mods were completed, I gave it another whirl next to my Delphi and it has closed the gap to almost nil.

The P6 is a fine table, wether you want to just leave it stock or mod the hell out of it, it's a great way to spin records.

Mods to date include: GT Reference sub-platter, Lim Isolation base, Lim acrylic skeletal plinth, with top and bottom braces, Acrylic platter, Oracle mat, RB2000 tonearm, Dynavector 17D3 cartridge, Custom feet, Lim low slung counterweight.

Attachments:
RP6.jpeg
RP6.jpeg [ 67.79 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 am 

kb007 wrote:
The new P6 is definitely better than the previous P6 out of the box. They've made a few key improvements it seems.

I originally bought my P6 in 2015, and found it to be quite good, but still miles behind my Oracle Delphi. Over time I have basically built a whole new deck out of the P6 and I think the only original bits are the bearing sleeve and motor/electronics. Probably the best improvement was a Lim Isolation base, which decouples the motor from the plinth and significantly reduces background noise. Once all the mods were completed, I gave it another whirl next to my Delphi and it has closed the gap to almost nil.

The P6 is a fine table, wether you want to just leave it stock or mod the hell out of it, it's a great way to spin records.

Mods to date include: GT Reference sub-platter, Lim Isolation base, Lim acrylic skeletal plinth, with top and bottom braces, Acrylic platter, Oracle mat, RB2000 tonearm, Dynavector 17D3 cartridge, Custom feet, Lim low slung counterweight.

That's gorgeous. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm 

Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Groovetracer sub platter, I'm starting to believe a lot of the benefit is from their ceramic bearing and not really so much from the sub platter itself. The ceramic bearing seems to somehow reduce most of the sub platter issues IMHO.