Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overpriced imports
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 am 

It’s not news to anyone that imported products cost more outside than within their home country. I know Totem sell, in British pounds and US dollars, what they sell for in Cdn. Dollars.

I suppose there are duties, in some cases, extra shipping and of course distributor margins.

For us here in Canada, we typically pay for US goods at a straight exchange...no duty and marginal shipping differences.

But we really take a hit on stuff from the UK and Europe, sometimes.

Here are 2 examples...ATC SCM 19v2 go for about 2000 pounds at home, $4000 US, and US + exchange in Canada...well over $5k Cdn.

Another example. Dynaudio’s little powered speaker (x2) goes for under 1000 Euros at home, but $2500 Cdn.

My point is, in Canada, if we choose to buy these products, we are paying way more than they are worth. Would you pay $5000 for a $3000 speaker?

But it is not always the case. I recently bought the Hegel h90, which at home, goes for around 1700 Euros, $2k US and $2200 Cdn. That makes much more sense to me.

I always check home country pricing before considering imported products. Too bad, I would love to have a pair of ATC’s.

Post subject: Re: Overpriced imports
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

With the Canadian dollar usually being 65 to 80 cents US the exchange rate is a big hit on pricier items.
Every one and a while the Canadian dollar is close to or more than the US dollar.
That is when I convert Canadian funds to US funds and keep the US funds for when the Canadian dollar drops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm 
Premium User

All that matters to me is if they perform as well or better than the domestic offerings at the same price. We are already overpaying for everything in this hobby regardless of origin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

The heart wants what the heart wants. I paid ~$1000 in protective tariffs when I bought my maggies in pre-NAFTA days. Didn't get that money back either when I sold them post NAFTA when the tariffs were dropped.

Whadyagonnado?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

The other side of the coin, I find some of the Chinese offerings to be underpriced compared to the domestic counterparts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm 

James_W wrote:
All that matters to me is if they perform as well or better than the domestic offerings at the same price. We are already overpaying for everything in this hobby regardless of origin.

This pretty much covers my outlook on the subject. And I did buy a pair of ATC's and I've yet to hear a speaker I like better in their price range. You pay what you've gotta pay.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

My cousin in the UK drives the exact same make, model, and year of car that I drive here in Vancouver. Both cars were manufactured within 10 days of each other in the same factory in Munich (take a stab at the brand) and both were purchased brand new. The manufacturing and distribution of the brand is handled exclusively by the manufacturer in all markets of the world. He paid roughly 30% more for his than than I did (delivered price, before taxes and local contributions). I live 8340 km away from the factory, he lives 1050 km from the factory. Try to explain that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 pm 

europroducts wrote:
My cousin in the UK drives the exact same make, model, and year of car that I drive here in Vancouver. Both cars were manufactured within 10 days of each other in the same factory in Munich (take a stab at the brand) and both were purchased brand new. The manufacturing and distribution of the brand is handled exclusively by the manufacturer in all markets of the world. He paid roughly 30% more for his than than I did (delivered price, before taxes and local contributions). I live 8340 km away from the factory, he lives 1050 km from the factory. Try to explain that.

The last time I spent time in the UK everything I bought cost me the same in British pounds as it would have in Canadian Dollars here. I think the exchange rate at the time was $1.65 Canadian to the British pound but to be honest, I can't remember for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 pm 

europroducts wrote:

Pricing also has to do with expected/ actual volume of sales in a given region, city, country, etc... Could be lower overall sales in the U.K. causes prices to be higher (could also be hidden or not so hidden taxes on certain items).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:44 pm 

I don't understand the OP's point. Is it that we should rise up and force vendors to sell items for less than cost? Of is it we should sell our used components at a further discount? Or ??

For me, I carefully shop the market for the product I want. I then do a relativity comparison....what is the price of an equivalent product? If the prices are close, and I want the product I buy it. If I feel the price is too high, I move on.

I sell product I source all over the world (not audio stuff). I compete with the "big guys" in the States with my pricing. Sometimes I make a few bucks, some times I do not. If I cannot cover costs and margins I either close my doors or sell it at a price I can keep the doors open at.

Anybody who runs a business understands this. Stereo equipment manufacturers and suppliers do not run a charity or subsidy. They run a business. For profit. Don't like it? Don't buy it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm 

europroducts wrote:

Holsten Premium Pilsner $2.10 at the LCBO per 500ml can

Steam Whistle Pilsner $3.00 at the LCBO per 473ml can

I can walk to the LCBO from the Steam Whistle brewery ... The Holsten has traveled many thousands of km's to that same LCBO. :?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:54 pm 

europroducts wrote:

Let me try. Excise tax in the UK is massive. So is VAT. Protective tarriffs in the UK are there to protect their auto sector (what is left of it). the dealer makes about the same margin per unit in Canada or in the UK. It is all down to taxes (well 90% of it).

-- 19 Nov 2017 22:54 --

-- 19 Nov 2017 22:58 --

In terms of additional cost of imported product like amplifiers or speakers....be sure and factor in the (significant) shipping costs. I bring in Eurocrates every few weeks from Britain. Factoring in the cost of shipping (air), insurance (65 cents per hundred$), brokerage and incidentals (damage, loss, pilferage) my costs of importation run about 26% on average. Add this 26% to the exchange rate, I can see how a 1,000 Pound cost runs to over $2,000 CDN. Easily. And if the price is so low in the UK, what is stopping the OP from buying in the UK and shipping it over on his own? Nothing. People do this every day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

My point is many imported products do not offer very good value for money. The reasons are many, some justified, some not.

Value (price related to local pricing), is all over the place for no obvious reason.

Just saying buyer beware, it is easy to overpay in this overpriced hobby.

Used prices simply reflect demand and ratio to original cost, so value for money in the used market also varies greatly. ATC and Dynaudio are just 2 examples of poor value for money in the Canadian market.

Would you pay 1.65X for Totems?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 pm 
Premium User

I don't consider ATC or Dynaudio to be poor value in this market whatsoever. Totem is overpriced for the performance but I have no issue paying more for Canadian made speakers. Made in Canada doesn't automatically translate to best bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

meiwan wrote:
ATC and Dynaudio are just 2 examples of poor value for money

Have you heard the Special 40's?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk