Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 am 

Noticed many of the ads I have been interested in lately state "no shipping". Anyone else noticing this is becoming more common? It really is a big let down for those of us in smaller markets. Being in Winnipeg, I find the supply of used equipment very lacking and can only imagine how difficult it must be for some of our east coast members.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:01 am 

'No Shipping' is becoming just as common as "I received an item that was damaged in shipping. Who should pay for this?" threads. Local pickup is a very attractive solution.
Combine that with the number of sellers who refuse PayPal and the number of buyers who insist on it, and shipping is less and less viable for sellers.
One of my pet peeves is packing something up, driving it to the postal outlet to get a price, and then hearing nothing back from the 'buyer'. Very classy!

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Noticed many of the ads I have been interested in lately state "no shipping". Anyone else noticing this is becoming more common? It really is a big let down for those of us in smaller markets. Being in Winnipeg, I find the supply of used equipment very lacking and can only imagine how difficult it must be for some of our east coast members.

I feel your plight. I'm an east coast member, but perhaps a little too far east coast to enjoy some of the same spoils as mainlanders. I'm sure the Peg is equally as isolated, though from the east. So, shipping is a big positive for me. I've learned to accept though that many would not ship something as delicate and difficult to package as a turntable. Or that large speakers will cost a bloody fortune to ship in most cases.

I sometimes prefer PayPal for larger orders, especially if its a new seller with little to no feedback. But, I often don't mind sending EMT to a seller with good feedback, been on CAM for a while, and the item is something not too easy to break, like cables, speakers in original shipping boxes, or even amplifiers if they are packaged correctly. Cartridges are small enough to ship, but unless they have original box and packaging it can be dicey.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
'No Shipping' is becoming just as common as "I received an item that was damaged in shipping. Who should pay for this?" threads. Local pickup is a very attractive solution.
Combine that with the number of sellers who refuse PayPal and the number of buyers who insist on it, and shipping is less and less viable for sellers.
One of my pet peeves is packing something up, driving it to the postal outlet to get a price, and then hearing nothing back from the 'buyer'. Very classy!

Bugs me, too, when someone won't ship when it's something relatively small and easy to pack, like an LP. I live in one of those small markets and often see records I'd likely buy go up in the CAM listings in the GTA with the dreaded "Pick up only". Even worse is when there is no "pick-up only" in the listing and you make an offer to purchase only to be told, "Sorry, I'd rather not ship, if I don't have to".
BTW, if you weigh and measure your parcel, the CanPost website has a function where you can in-put the data and they will give you the cost - used it many time and have always been within a dollar even with heavier items.

Last edited by Winter_vinyl on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 am 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

Bugs me, too, when someone won't ship when it's something relatively small and easy to pack, like an LP. I live in one of those small markets and often see records I'd likeley buy go up in the CAM listings in the GTA with the dreaded "Pick up only".
BTW, if you weigh and measure your parcel, the CanPost website has a function where you can in-put the data and they will give you the cost - used it many time and have always been within a dollar even with heavier items.

Not everyone has a postal scale, but most of us know the approximate cost to ship things. I am also taken back by sellers who won't ship smaller items that aren't easily damaged, like interconnects or power cables. That is just lazy as far as I am concerned. Not having the original box and packing materials for more delicate items is risky though.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 am 

I'm with you on that point, which is why I'm usually scrambling to find room for empty boxes that I keep, just in case . . . :lol:
I don't have a postal scale either, but a decent digital scale seems to do the trick. My wife has one for weighing yarn for her knitting projects that is spot on with smaller items, like LP's, cables, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am 

I've shipped stuff that can't be damaged (at least in theory...unless someone is trying to do damage)...and/but...over the 11 years of membership...buying & selling...I've very much enjoyed meeting people face to face...well...except this dude who wanted a kind of proof of provenance for a Roksan tuner I was selling for 150 bucks...he was a doozy... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 am 

possible loss or damage is very time consuming could be one reason being originally from the east coast i would agree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 am 

THE GOLDEN RULE FOR SHIPPING IS SIMPLE.

If you pitch the box is it safe? if no, repack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Not everyone has a postal scale, but most of us know the approximate cost to ship things.

I bought one like this over 10 years ago and it's been a godsend for shipping stuff.
It's also pretty cool to weigh the Turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. :mrgreen:

Attachments:
File comment: Inexpensive Postal Scale
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 11.06.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 11.06.09.png [ 531.08 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 am 

I'm somewhere in between. More likely to buy from afar than to sell. If something slightly damaged I will deal with it. Also if buying from distance, I choose dealers with the product I want. Have had many great transactions with ON dealers over the years. If used or budget item, I buy local...and Vancouver is not exactly the hotbed of audio activity as some might think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 am 

I would prefer that they ship, but it is the seller's choice. If no one buys it, maybe they will reconsider and re-post. I do appreciate it when they say "no shipping" in the add up front so that you do not waste time contacting them and waiting for the reply that never comes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 am 

petersch wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
Not everyone has a postal scale, but most of us know the approximate cost to ship things.

I bought one like this over 10 years ago and it's been a godsend for shipping stuff.
It's also pretty cool to weigh the Turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. :mrgreen:

I don't think that is something I would use that much (since I am not a fan of shipping bigger things), but I used to offer a compromise to CAM 'buyers'. If I estimated that something might be $35 to $45 to ship to a certain location, I would suggest that the 'buyer' send me $50 ... with the promise that I would refund any difference.

I said "used to offer" because most guys would freak out ... just one more reason not to ship things. They would trust my feedback enough to purchase an item I have for sale and pay by EMT, but they wouldn't trust me to send them an eight buck refund? :roll:

Last edited by Quadzilla on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am 

Some items can be damaged more easily than others.
Big and heavy can be expensive to ship.
You can insure expensive items being shipped.
I saved someone money on shipping large items by having long distance truckers do the delivery or pickup if they are going that way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am 

Speakers can be a pita if no boxes.
Often boxes too large for people to keep indefinitely.
Also many times shipping across the country unfortunately isn't cheap
Smaller items maybe quite a bit easier, easier to keep boxes to