It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am 

I am thinking of something from Bryston

Model T`s or the Middle T`s

Anyone using Bryston speakers and have and opinion

I am using Focus Audio FS-788 which I will keep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am 

I'm using Middle T's and have listened to the T's.
The Middle T will play loud and clean if given enough power.
I was using a Bryston 3B SST and the amp would clip quite often, the Middle T weren't bothered at all.
I now use a Bryston 4B SST2 and the Middle T's love it.
I really wouldn't think of using them with anything less than 100 wpc.
The outrigger feet (they have upgraded outriggers now) should be considered essential, they add stability that makes a noticeable improvement from the stock spiked feet.
They will play anything and remain clear and focused at all volume levels.
The Middle T aren't fussy about placement but if you have the patience they will benefit from careful positioning. At a minimum they need about 1M from the back wall (rear ported) and at least 1.5 from the side wall. Too close to the boundaries they can become bass heavy.
I'd also recommend bi-wiring these. The jumper links should be considered a temporary solution.
I listen mainly to rock and roll, blues, americana, bluegrass. The Middle T's play everything from Anvil to Zappa without a whimper. They will also play Krall and company as precisely as you could wish.
Now take everything I've said about the Middle T and damn near double it for the T.
They are very big, and need a large space to work at their best. They can be tweaked with external crossovers and multi-amps.
I can't imagine them being a limiting factor.
If you find the Bryston sound appealing, you may want to consider the Mini T. It's Mini in name only. I actually thought I was hearing the Middle T when I was listening to Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine.
The Mini T was playing it loud and clean with no hint of compression. An impressive speaker but it needs a very solid stand.
Not too many book shelves can hold it.
Sorry about being so long winded. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 pm 

I've owned both the Mini and Middle T's and agree with everything above. If you like the Bryston sound they are great performers. They play effortlessly at any volume and play all genres with equal ease. The only downside for me is that they could be a little more refined in their presentation but I'm being picky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:21 pm 

Great to know

I will be using 7B3 to power speakers

Will try the middle T`s as they will be used as a back up speaker

Room is 30 X26

Thanks for the words of encouragement

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

z28-1980--car wrote:
Great to know

Room is 30 X26

You'll love em! I'm listening to a pair with 28 Cubed right now :D .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

Adriankn wrote:
z28-1980--car wrote:
Great to know

Room is 30 X26

You'll love em! I'm listening to a pair with 28 Cubed right now :D .

And were did those come from?. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:31 pm 

KJT1 wrote:

Bryston, obviously :lol: . Had you only stayed for TAVES! You shouldn't hear them anyway. They will ruin you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 pm 

Adriankn wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

Bryston, obviously :lol: . Had you only stayed for TAVES! You shouldn't hear them anyway. They will ruin you.

I wasn't talking about those rusty old 28B's but you know that. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm 

z28-1980--car wrote:

I think I'm confused why you need a back up set of speakers . Is there something you fear is wrong with your system that leads you to believe there is an issue?
Might it be safer to say you just want an alternative option on hand to play around with when the mood strikes?

I have to admit I don't know how you guys can do it ... switch speakers in and out of your system that is. I just finished a two year search for a replacement to my Gamut M5's and as brilliant as the M5's are I couldn't bear switching them back in and attempting to adjust to them again .
In a way I'm kinda jealous of those of you that can do it as I just found the road to the upgrade so difficult I can't imagine willingly switching something back in for kicks

Such a weird hobby this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm 

ADCO wrote:
z28-1980--car wrote:

I think I'm confused why you need a back up set of speakers . Is there something you fear is wrong with your system that leads you to believe there is an issue?
Might it be safer to say you just want an alternative option on hand to play around with when the mood strikes?

I have to admit I don't know how you guys can do it ... switch speakers in and out of your system that is. I just finished a two year search for a replacement to my Gamut M5's and as brilliant as the M5's are I couldn't bear switching them back in and attempting to adjust to them again .
In a way I'm kinda jealous of those of you that can do it as I just found the road to the upgrade so difficult I can't imagine willingly switching something back in for kicks

Such a weird hobby this

Variety really is the spice of life. I love my main system but I love putting other pieces in now and than just to switch things up. I keep at least four good amps and four or five sets of speakers on hand just for fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm 
Premium User

Speakers sometimes present music in such different ways that it's enjoyable to have more than one pair to swap. There really is no "best" just different flavors that can compliment artists and genres in ways others cannot. Hearing piano on Bosendorfer speakers, Dark Side of the Moon on ATC or flamenco guitar on panels are good examples.

The Bryston speakers will provide a very different and enjoyable presentation from the Focus Audio! I doubt you will have to worry about failure though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm 

ADCO wrote:
z28-1980--car wrote:

Such a weird hobby this

I am retired ,living in NL,,,if i have a failure ,,,i will be without speakers as no place to buy here that i am aware of,,,i am thinking that it will take time to order parts and do repairs

-- 16 Nov 2017 21:59 --

James_W wrote:
Speakers sometimes present music in such different ways that it's enjoyable to have more than one pair to swap. There really is no "best" just different flavors that can compliment artists and genres in ways others cannot. Hearing piano on Bosendorfer speakers, Dark Side of the Moon on ATC or flamenco guitar on panels are good examples.

The Bryston speakers will provide a very different and enjoyable presentation from the Focus Audio! I doubt you will have to worry about failure though.

Nice to know,,,hoping nothing goes bad,,,just got system out of boxes a week ago where its been sitting for 6 months

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm 

A few months ago I asked the same question and the same guys here gave me really good advices.
I'm all Bryston here.
4B3 / BP26 / BDA3 / BLP1
Bought a pair of Mini-T first and I already posted a short review on this forum.
Big cabinet. Big sound.
Sold them and now I'm with a pair of MODEL T (Walnut) with Outriggers.
Room is not that big.
12x11
9' ceiling.
No complaint about the Model Tz in a relatively small room.
I have some acoustic treatment but I did not go crazy with it.
If I buy something else (to try) for the listening room, the Model Tz will become my HT speakers.
My Model Tz are here to stay.

Last summer, I bought another pair of Mini-T for another setup...
With a pair of TARGET MR-50. Just the right height.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:02 am 

I don’t get the backup thing but the only limitations to the number of speakers you own are:
1) Space
2) Wife
3) Money

For me I have two setups but multiple speakers. I try to make my speaker sets have as unique a sound possible compared to my others. One may excel at vocals, another big brassy orchestras, another is fantastic at detail, while another may be soft and warm. They are like good wines paired with cheese. The wine being the speakers and the cheese.....the music. Maybe not a great analogy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am 

KJT1 wrote:
Variety really is the spice of life. I love my main system but I love putting other pieces in now and than just to switch things up. I keep at least four good amps and four or five sets of speakers on hand just for fun.

+....doing this in a 1400sq. ft. condo,has taken a lot of creative story telling....my wife is a gem,who seldom cries BS....any guilt along the way is managed by a regular supply of Air Supply , Sam Smith and Bee Gees CD peace offerings.