Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am 

So a little while ago I decided to purchase a HT processor, I'm setting up a little theatre in the basement and I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

I found an ad here and contacted the seller, we worked out a deal and I sent $ by EMT.
The seller shipped the item and pointed out that the shipping was more than he expected, without being asked I sent the seller another $20 to cover the additional expense he incurred.

The box arrived at my home in fairly rapid fashion and I was excited to try it out however being that the item was extremely cold I gave it 24 hours in the box to climatize to my home, I commonly do this with lots of items I receive in the winter.

The next day I opened the box to find the processor wrapped in a single piece of bubble wrap, nothing else, much to my shock and amazement the processor was not destroyed, there was however a small flat spot on the faceplate that probably happened in shipping but not too noticible so I didn't make a big deal about it. Going through the box I found the power cord and remote.

Now, in this listing here on CAM the seller clearly lists the items included with the processor under the "Includes:" sub heading in the listing. There are 3 items listed there that were not included in the box, I figured it was just an oversight so I contacted the seller and he responded;

Power cable is in the box. I remember that i put in the box. But Sorry i really forget the other accessories. I never use that. This is the précédent owner give me that. But i will ship this week the other accessories.

One of the accessories I need is a microphone used with the processor for setting up surround in my room. I pointed out that used replacements available online are $50+ (About 1/6 the price of the deal I made with the seller) and that I should not have to incur this expense.

Seller responded on November 9th;
"I find all items but i loss the mic. I moved in july. I really think i have but i dont find. I will check in the shed saturday."
Since then no reply.

WHAT THE HELL?
Why would somebody put up an ad, list a bunch of accessories as being included when clearly they don't have them at hand and do not intend to send them. I'm really scratching my head here... Are people really this thick? WOW.

I sent another email and I am waiting for a response but it looks like he gets negative feedback and I'm out $$ :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Happens all the time. I've done it myself the odd time (in many hundreds of sales, you sometimes slip up), but try not to.

almost any set-up mike will do, is the deal, in most cases. research it. Sometimes I find measurement mikes at the local used good stores like val vill, goodwill, sally ann, and the local hock shop-in the odds'n'ends or spare remote control box of assorted goodies ($5 an item).

Sometimes we forget that life is good, kinda thing. :) I do it all the time. Just like everybody else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am 

Don, I have a setup mike for Denon and I should have one coming with my (new to me) Anthem. If either will work I will lend it to you. Do a little research and let me know,...

Ya, things sometimes go sideways. I bought a tonearm a few months ago and it turns out the lift has a sticky point that moves the tonearm sideways and the Cardas tonearm wire has a short! Sux....

As the saying goes "Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

So here is the great thing I have found about CAM. There is always somebody who has been there before and knows how to fix your problem. In terms of the vendor, if he ignores you, be sure and leave a big, fat negative. If he is not on CAM, then link him to this thread and tell him you will publish his details here so the rest of us don't get stiffed.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 am 

May I ask what brand? You might find a kindhearted soul here to loan you one (like brownslane).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am 

Speaking of which, I went to this guy's place to check out the Velodyne powered sub that he was advertising on our local Kijiji last weekend. When I got to his place I found out that the Velodyne was missing its remote control, and on top of that we have no way of testing it if it works because he already sold his HT receiver. But he assured me that it does work and if it doesn't I can always bring it back. I took it home and hook it up to my HT receiver and voila! then I thought to myself man he's a very lucky guy that it did work. About the remote, it turns out I didn't need it after all as I can always adjust it manually.

Also, I ended up buying his almost brand new Sony Bravia LCD tv including the remote of which I was glad he didn't lose it for a quarter of the price that most of the sellers on our local Kijiji are asking for. All in all the trip was a very fruitful one because now my wife is enjoying the Sony Bravia LCD tv in her SPA room and I'm enjoying the Velodyne powered sub in my HT room.

Last edited by tube54 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
Happens all the time. I've done it myself the odd time (in many hundreds of sales, you sometimes slip up), but try not to.

almost any set-up mike will do, is the deal, in most cases. research it. Sometimes I find measurement mikes at the local used good stores like val vill, goodwill, sally ann, and the local hock shop-in the odds'n'ends or spare remote control box of assorted goodies ($5 an item).

Sometimes we forget that life is good, kinda thing. :) I do it all the time. Just like everybody else.

:shock: I spent 10 years working at an ISO9000 company and I can guarantee you this doesn't happen all the time. We shipped $25,000 worth of product every single day. Average cost per item was $50.00 and all of it processed and engineered through my department. That's a lot of truck loads every day. Errors were very few and far between and any that did occur had a paper trail which lead up to the CEO of parent company in Europe. They oversaw 45,000 employees world wide. Believe me, you didn't want to be known for mistakes.

Thankfully CAM members are coming through with help! :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am 

Thank you gentlemen. It's an Audyssey microphone, it, I suspect, has a known response that is used by the processor to help calculate corrections for the room the processor is being used in, also it has a very long cord for measuring from the watching/listening position.

I'll give the seller a bit more time, to be fair, I bloody hate leaving negative feedback, I typically leave none at all to avoid retribution feedback but then this does nothing to warn fellow buyers.

If the seller can't find it, and is willing to reimburse me something toward the purchase price of a replacement I'd be willing to work that way too. I'll wait and see. 8)

Last edited by dondoucette on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am 

Set Up mics have an error file that is usually associated with the matched equipment...so sure go ahead and use a different mic but calibration might not be accurate.

Best to contact the mfg and provide serial number etc.

Of course this only really applies if you really care-lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Tom_r wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:

:shock: I spent 10 years working at an ISO9000 company and I can guarantee you this doesn't happen all the time. We shipped $25,000 worth of product every single day. Average cost per item was $50.00 and all of it processed and engineered through my department. That's a lot of truck loads every day. Errors were very few and far between and any that did occur had a paper trail which lead up to the CEO of parent company in Europe. They oversaw 45,000 employees world wide. Believe me, you didn't want to be known for mistakes.

Thankfully CAM members are coming through with help! :D

I was talking about personal shipping at odd and uneven times...of unique and different audio items... sent all over the place, all under different circumstance. By individuals who have no familiarity or regular contact with the complexities. sellers with rating in the hundreds are very unlikely to make mistakes, they did all that when their sales ratings were in the single and early double digits. Like a wildebeest at the watering hole, it's either crocks or lions, choose your death. Living requires learning fast and on your feet...

On the pro level, no, I never lose anything, never mis-ship a single parcel -for years at a time. Which is tough to do, when the customers are individuals, end users who are supplying the shipping data. Customers know the complexities of shipping like a cat knows calculus. Virtually zero. Customers and their shipping data and requests are a huge problem.

zero losses anyway. that's the advantage of shipping the same thing over and over again. or doing similar professionally, day after day.

It gets perfected. The given company cannot afford anything else.

I've personally done a good 10k+ ups parcels, so many all over the place that the recent (sum) total might be..10 for Greenland, of all places. Iceland, and so on. Never sent anything to Antarctica, though. The system has continued on without me at the helm of the shipping for the past 10 years (Goo Systems) and might be over 200k ups shipments. I had to be involved in designing all the packaging and ship methods, etc, for this to take place. This is for liquids which are prone to breaking open if mishandled and ups won't insure liquids... so it has to be shipped again, if damaged. My shipping 'basic training' was as hard and as difficult as it gets, for that type, anyway. (oh yeah, mostly unique parcels, even there. Individually hand packed.)

Skid shipped brokerage stuff is another messy job...We did it all ourselves, we never used pro organizations. Another tough school, there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 am 

This has been a bad year for shipment screw ups for me and I am kind of at my wits end, here are just some recent examples...

Ordered aftermarket brake levers for my motorcycle project 4 months ago... Just arrived yesterday after 100's of emails and multiple claimed ship dates by the vendor. That being said, they are awesome quality levers now that I have them in my hands but I wouldn't order again.

Ordered a first pressing AC/DC album in mint condition from a seller with 100% positive feedback on Discogs, package arrives, some shitty quality Buffalo Springfield record with a $10 sticker on it. I paid a lot more than $10 for my AC/DC record I can tell ya that.

Had a Yamaha p2200 shipped to my house, left the seller in great condition, arrived here in a thin cardboard box with a handful of foam peanuts thrown in for good measure. Needless to say my amp was not in great condition. Chassis where the transformer was mounted was bent to hell, heatsinks were bent in and scraped to hell, front panel was bent on both ends and rack handles were scraped and gouged to heck.

Multiple small orders from China that arrive in those grey bags wrapped in that stinky yellow tape, all look like they were driven over by a truck.

Was looking for a mount for my projector, went to the local shops, they either had $30 universal mounts made from what appears to be 16ga. Or they had $400 projector specific (none for my crappy old projector) I ordered what appeared to be a decent quality mount off amazon, paid over $100, it had good reviews, when it arrived I noticed an inset plate on the wall mount was welded in crooked as heck, causing the mount to not sit perpendicular to the wall. :roll:

Won a pair of Yamaha q1027 eq's on an auction site, they were in very nice shape and I won them for what I thought was very little. I paid with PayPal immediately upon the close of auction. Got an eBay notification that they were shipped but no tracking info. A month later I send an inquiry to the seller asking if he had tracking info and boom, instant refund. Guess the seller thought the closing price was too low as well.

These are but a few of the most recent dealings I've had, if I could get all the things I wanted from a local brick and mortar I would, and I would pay a premium to do so but that can't happen with most of the types of things I buy online.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 am 

Now that you've had your moment, posting this here is not doing you one bit of good other than venting.

The best action you can take is:

1. Immediately post a negative feedback detailing the problems.

Write to the seller advising of the feedback already posted and that you are willing to work with him on resolving it if he replaces the missing items. Put the onus on him to order and ship you a new Mic. That would be the proper resolution by him.

2. If he declines or ignores you, report the ad for misrepresentation. I was going to recommend you do that first, but if it results in a ban, it's not going to help. Maybe you do that in concert with the neg, and ask the mods to help mediate rather than just ban the guy.

edit: he should also provide a part refund for the minor damage incurred by poor packing.

Last edited by Che Cavolo on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am 

Teo Audio wrote:

No, any setup mic will not do.
It will need to be from the same make/model, and even then depending on the manufacture it could be unit specific.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 pm 
Premium User

In answer to your original question.....
NO.....Thank You !

There are already enough WHINERS and WEINERS on this forum
We are currently looking for more “Problem Solvers”.....ie. WINNERS

I’m sure you will be able to come up with a solution :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:14 pm 

dondoucette is this an Anthem?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm 

The shed is an excellent place to store a mic btw. :?