Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Power Cable or AC Filter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:21 pm 

I meant to ask this question, but kept forgetting about it.

I would like to know what would a better choice for improving the overall sound of my system, invest in a better power cable or buying a AC filtering unit?

I have noticed, that the sound gets better after about 10:00 PM or so, and after 11:00 PM, it is just one great sounding system. Am I hearing things?

Please share, your thoughts and some suggestions with names would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm 

Yes and yes.

But seriously it depends on your system set up and environment. In my experience, DACs require the most attention with regards to power. If you have a DAC or CD Player, address that first with the audio voodoo of your choosing.

I tend to work my way down the audio chain with power cable upgrades. Even if this means spending a decent percentage on the power cable as the source.

But as always I would borrow and audition power product before buying it.

Some conditioners aren't very great. And even great ones still vary in each system as to their effect and effectiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm 

Tried a whole selection of power cords ranging from $75 to $1200 and never heard a difference. To be fair I didn't expect to but when you have a fellow who is kind enough to let you try them with no obligation, why not?. Then I bought a Bryston BIT 15 not expecting to hear a difference ( it was bought to protect my gear ). Everything sounds a little better and even the TV picture seems better. Go figure?.
That's what worked for me anyway. YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm 

if you need some protection (like you have dirty power from city or lots of spikes) you need the power unit. if your power is reasonably clean I would go passive and good power cords. But I would also run dedicated lines first....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 am 

Check out the Blue Circle BC68 Mkii power cord with the inline conditioning filter: http://www.bluecircle.com/page88.html.

I use a pair on my Martin Logan Spires.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 am 

I Thank each one of you for your time writing and sharing your experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:25 am 

The main reason why a system sounds best late at night or early morning has more to do with a lower ambient noise pollution than a better power supply. I addition, lower ambient noise pollution increases listening sensitivity, that is why it is best to perform critical system (listening) evaluation early in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 am 

I use a few of the BC noise filters. They are not inline. They provide a sink for the noise on the line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 am 

How about UPS supplies? Would they not provide a cleaner, more consistent power supply?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 am 

Dedicated circuit....ime biggest improvement

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am 

AC Filter. Measurable results.

There are many was to get there. Power conditioners have some form of filtering. My favorite is/was the now discontinued PS Audio Quintet with 5 separately wire and filtered pairs of outlets. The current Dectet is similar but only has three zones or two, four and four outlets. If you want to do just one component you can buy filters to replace the IEC inlets at any electronics store or get one of the fancy ones from Furutech. If you aren't up to soldering you can buy one of the "flow" products they offer, which is basically the same filters integrated into a power cable. There are a bunch of similar products.

The main components I like to filter are the ones with switch mode power supplies like the HDTV, Server, Blu Ray etc. that can return EMI into the incoming power. I work under the assumption that the high end equipment with linear power supplies I have doesn't have the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:11 am 

Along with the lower environmental noise if you're listening in a darker setting your ears perk up
so as tigers and the boogey man won't get ya.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 am 

brownslane wrote:
How about UPS supplies? Would they not provide a cleaner, more consistent power supply?

They may have a higher output impedance, choking power delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 am 

I don't see how a power cable can filter noise that is already in the line.

As for a power conditioner, it is possible that you would see an improvement but it really depends on the conditioner. It can also make things worse due to current limiting. If the system sounds really bad due to RFI noise, you might be better off investing in an amp with a better power supply design than external filters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am 

The power in my neck of the woods is abysmal. Frequent power "blinks" and a few power outages are not uncommon.
If the display on my APC H10 is accurate there seems to be quite a wide voltage swing, the unit frequently indicates boost.
I've actually given up looking at it.
My AVR, TV, STB, and a couple other things plugged into the APC.
I wouldn't swear to it but I think the TV (Panasonic ST55) colours are better plugged into the APC.
I also use a Wiremold power distribution unit with Blue Circle Yalu Balula's for protection (they don't choke the life out of my amp).
As for power cords I use several Gutwire B12, PS Audio Prelude, Wireworld and a couple others.
Does it make a difference?
I believe it does.
The Yalu Balula's provide protection from our dodgy power grid and I can sleep a bit.
The APC protects the AV gear (although protecting the HDMI boards has proved impossible).
Try a couple power cords, you don't need to spend a lot, if you can't hear an improvement you're not out much.
AC filtering, properly done can be very pricey. The BIT/Torus units are good examples of how AC filtering and protection should be done.
If you hit the lottery get a PS Audio power regenerator and be done with it all.