Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: V-Caps
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

Anyone out there have any experience with V-Caps, especially the Cu Teflon. I have a Decware amp built with V-Caps and took delivery end of March this year. I’ve been playing the amp pretty steadily perhaps 5 hours a day at fairly low volume since I have a smallish listening room. Amp probably has about 1000 hours on it. The last couple of days the sound has transformed into something quite beautiful. Detail, texture, timbre, dynamics and all with this lovely buttery texture that’s engrossing. Only thing that has changed is a new beta firmware on my Auralic Aries, but I’m wondering if the V-Caps moved on to another level. I hear their burn in time can be crazy long.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

Post subject: Re: V-Caps
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Teflon has the longest burn in time of the dielectrics in common use. Which is probably the major contributing factor.

It's a combination of time and signal levels/type.

The humidity is also in the middle of changing, in the average Canadian household.

The break point is ~45% humidity, regarding change in room sound and equipment/cabling. Above that % and static drains, below that % and static builds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
The break point is ~45% humidity, regarding change in room sound and equipment/cabling. Above that % and static drains, below that % and static builds.

Unrelated to capacitors, but connected to your comment regarding relative humidity and static: since I moved into my house two years ago, I've had constant problems with my Bell internet. Constant as in losing connectivity every day for periods ranging from 5 minutes to 4 hours! Every day!

I was on the phone to Bell at least once a week. At one point, a tech told me to disconnect the network cable between the modem and wall, and lift it off the ground, and let it hang straight down.

"What is that supposed to do?", I asked him.

"It's to let the static that's built up in the cable dissipate", he explained.

I looked out my window, convinced I was being filmed for an episode of Candid Camera...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm 

rub yer wire with a bounce sheet...soft and static free

as for the 45% rel humidity is that at stp or ntp?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:

My bet is on STP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

brf wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

My bet is on STP

probably correct, but..my experience is that this flip occurs in households which are normally at 20c, so it's experientially related to NTP.

And the story and evidence is anecdotal. There may be data to back it up, but I've never looked. It's just what life in the reality fast lane has shown me. When I'm paying attention, that is.

Static in audio is a big deal. The related humidity is a big deal. So much so that reviewers of gear should all be forced to do their reviews at 45% humidity and 20c. They can bounce the temp around a bit but the humidity must be held stable at 45%. Otherwise their assessment of the gear will be off in multiple parameters. Seriously.

when you are getting into the nitty gritty of tuning a cable or a $5k passive preamp, or a set of $20k or $50k speakers, or even the bottom of the costing scale, these last things become critical.

The air as a carrier changes in how it functions, and the equipment is affected by the static levels of stray charge build or stray charge drain. This is especially true with analog turntables. We recognize the temp and humidity aspects of cartridge suspensions and static issues at the stylus interface, but really, it affects...EVERYTHING.