Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 pm 

Hello there:

I am running an old Sony direct-drive turntable with no preamp stage to my NAD AV 713 Surround Sound Receiver. Is it worthwhile investing in a phono-only preamp (like the recent NAD PP 2E), or could I get the same benefit by investing in some vintage preamp gear (like a used NAD 1600) for about the same price? If I pick up a preamp, is it also worthwhile investing in a separate, dedicated power amp, or is that overkill given that I already have the receiver?

Genuine noob question, just trying to understand the nuances and options for getting the most out of my vinyl collection. (And yes, I kinda have a thing for NAD gear. ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm 

I prefer to keep things separate. Let the AV receiver handle movies etc. and let my other equipment handle the music.
If your on a tight budget, I'd find a nice integrated with a phono stage.
There is no shortage of choice.
Odds are that an integrated with a built in phono stage (NAD makes a few) will do a better job playing music than your AV receiver with an outboard phono pre.
And welcome to CAM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 am 

Nothing wrong with NAD gear.

What is your budget? There are many options available to you but ultimately, cost will become a factor.

I, like mahatma1, prefer separates. But I have the space for many components. You may not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 am 

+1 to not using surround for phono.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am 

Thank you everyone for the answers! Okay, apparently my existing surround sound receiver (which has been used more as a regular receiver/amp than anything else) is not up to the task, and an integrated amp--or perhaps a separate amp and preamp?--would be a better bet.

I like vintage gear, and my preferences are for NAD, and my budget is modest (let's just say "hundreds" rather than "thousands"). I have KEF speakers, and a NAD tape deck (NAD 602) and CD player (NAD 5320) I also need to work into the equation.

So should I seek an integrated NAD amp? Or a NAD amp + preamp? Or something else completely? Keeping my vintage streak in mind, any recommendations?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am 

CaptMondo wrote:
Thank you everyone for the answers! Okay, apparently my existing surround sound receiver (which has been used more as a regular receiver/amp than anything else) is not up to the task, and an integrated amp--or perhaps a separate amp and preamp?--would be a better bet.

I like vintage gear, and my preferences are for NAD, and my budget is modest (let's just say "hundreds" rather than "thousands"). I have KEF speakers, and a NAD tape deck (NAD 602) and CD player (NAD 5320) I also need to work into the equation.

So should I seek an integrated NAD amp? Or a NAD amp + preamp? Or something else completely? Keeping my vintage streak in mind, any recommendations?

Cheers!

From the attached picture it looks like your receiver has a phono input, so why not use it & run the receiver in 'stereo' instead of surround?
If not, consider these options...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-systems- ... nFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/cit ... nFlag=true

Attachments:
NAD AV 713.jpg
NAD AV 713.jpg [ 71.87 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have to agree with the suggestion to go with the NAD integrated with phono-stage. This would probably render the best results for "hundreds and not thousands". For starters you will save on interconnects and power cords.

J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am 

I would get an older tube preamp with a phono stage in it. You can get an audible illusions or Conrad Johnson or something like that for decent money that will far Outperform most other options.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 am 

I believe in making smaller changes to be able to identify what makes the biggest difference. If I were the OP, I would try an entry-level phono preamp with his existing receiver before he changes everything. If he eventually decides to make bigger changes, the phono stage will integrate nicely with any future component change. While I don't share the OP's enthusiasm with NAD gear, I do think they make a decent entry-level phono preamp (although there are others he should also consider).

I would offer a bit of advice though. Try and find an older PP 2, rather than a newer PP 2i or PP 2e. Newer units have had to utilize 'earth-friendly' low-lead solder. This might be more eco-friendly, but it often results in poor solder joints. I have owned both the PP 2 and PP 2i, and I really don't think there is much (if any) other difference between them ... and I believe the PP 2e just adds a 'power down' function to save energy (although it uses so little electricity that this is just silly).

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

True but it still will be amplified thru a crappy power amp.

J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am 

Prosoundman wrote:
True but it still will be amplified thru a crappy power amp.

J

If he is happy with the sound, why spend the money? Maybe he doesn't think his amp is crappy. Maybe he just wants to play LPs.

(edited by mod)

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am 

I agree that a phono pre is a good option for the OP as it can be carried on to future systems when the time comes . I myself have order'd an Ifi phono 2 to allow the use of my other older gear with mc when I feel the urge . The phono 2 is loaded with options like no others at it's price point and would give the OP almost unlimited opportunity to explore different cartridges and older recordings or just search out a sound to his liking . It should be a significant upgrade to the phono stage in his current unit . Plenty of reviews online and well worth looking at in my opinion .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am 

If you're considering adding a phono stage, also look for Graham Slee. They can be snatched up for as little as $200 and are terrific performers at their price point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am 

I'm pretty firm in my belief that most (there are always exceptions) AV receivers do sounds effects nicely, they aren't as good with music.
Even with a small budget there is a lot of choice. Older Sansui's are popular and this one by Creek (Creek 4140S2) is very sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:26 pm 

Your Nad AV713 will have a chip based phono RIAA amp inside.
Pretty hard to muck it up.

Gary