Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 am
Posts: 29
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Good day all,

Would it be possible to implement crypto currency transfers/slots in for sale and buy advertisements?

It's a growing method of purchasing and selling items, and I'd be delighted to support this means of transactions. I'm up for creating a guide to using and transferring crypto currency if required. All that's required is a wallet sender/receiver address.

This could also stream into "tipping" one another for various posts if desired. Some common forms of currency are: Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), and Monero (XMR).

Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 4896
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
"Tipping"?

HiFiSnus wrote:
This could also stream into "tipping" one another for various posts if desired.

Thoughts?


My thoughts : if "tipping" means anything like thanking someone for a complimentary post on the product I have for sale, it is completely against Forum policy. It would simply be encouraging shilling in the Forums.

Of all the kinds of complaints received by the Mods about folks' behaviour in the Forums, I think reports for shilling are the most common. People just don't like it.

Now, maybe "tipping" means something else to the OP. Perhaps he or she could explain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:55 pm
Posts: 454
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
HiFiSnus wrote:
Good day all,

Would it be possible to implement crypto currency transfers/slots in for sale and buy advertisements?

It's a growing method of purchasing and selling items, and I'd be delighted to support this means of transactions. I'm up for creating a guide to using and transferring crypto currency if required. All that's required is a wallet sender/receiver address.

This could also stream into "tipping" one another for various posts if desired. Some common forms of currency are: Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), and Monero (XMR).

Thoughts?

Seriously, interac e-transfer gets a hard sell on Canuck.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:49 am
Posts: 1659
Location: Fairport Beach (in Pickering), ON, CA
Just curious, what is crypto currency?

How does it differ from EMT's?

Can I use crypto currency to pay taxes, to buy gas, or at the LCBO to buy booze?

_________________
Tom

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4341
Location: London, ON, CA
Tom_r wrote:
Just curious, what is crypto currency?

How does it differ from EMT's?

Can I use crypto currency to pay taxes, to buy gas, or at the LCBO to buy booze?


It's like Monopoly money for hipsters, and you can't use it at the LCBO ... or much of anywhere that isn't artisanal. I probably won't get a 'tip' for this post, will I?

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 am
Posts: 29
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Toby wrote:
"Tipping"?

HiFiSnus wrote:
This could also stream into "tipping" one another for various posts if desired.

Thoughts?


My thoughts : if "tipping" means anything like thanking someone for a complimentary post on the product I have for sale, it is completely against Forum policy. It would simply be encouraging shilling in the Forums.

Of all the kinds of complaints received by the Mods about folks' behaviour in the Forums, I think reports for shilling are the most common. People just don't like it.

Now, maybe "tipping" means something else to the OP. Perhaps he or she could explain.


Oh, I didn't see it in that light. I was thinking of something along the lines of tipping people who provide constructive feedback, music suggestions, and troubleshooting.

Quote:
Seriously, interac e-transfer gets a hard sell on Canuck.


That's true... I guess it might not be the right time for it.

Quote:
Just curious, what is crypto currency?

How does it differ from EMT's?

Can I use crypto currency to pay taxes, to buy gas, or at the LCBO to buy booze?


It's a decentralized currency, direct peer-to-peer transfers of funds, vise relying on a bank to send money. Transfers take seconds to minutes vise 30 minutes or more for EMT.

You can definitely use it to pay for day-to-day stuff, despite the following post: "It's like Monopoly money for hipsters, and you can't use it at the LCBO ... or much of anywhere that isn't artisanal. I probably won't get a 'tip' for this post, will I?"

That was true a few years ago, but it's on an adoption surge. A company called TenX Pay (an example of a few) is issuing cards to adopters, allowing users to access their crypto currencies and pay in USD with a seamless transaction - providing the user with % rewards. It works on most debit terminals.

If I introduced the notion of EMT on this forum while when it first started, I'm positive I'd receive the same responses.

I would give you a "tip" if you provided a constructive response against my suggestion, rather than a making a generic statement covering all crypto currency and providing false information.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4341
Location: London, ON, CA
HiFiSnus wrote:
I would give you a "tip" if you provided a constructive response against my suggestion, rather than a making a generic statement covering all crypto currency and providing false information.


How is this for a constructive response?

There is nothing stopping you personally from accepting Bitcoin. CAM deals are already peer to peer. No payments go through the site (except for the very recent Buy It Now option). You can accept baskets of peaches in trade if you want. Why not post an ad and state that only Bitcoin will be accepted as payment? ... then get back to us.

Can I have my 'tip' now?

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 am
Posts: 29
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Quadzilla wrote:
HiFiSnus wrote:
I would give you a "tip" if you provided a constructive response against my suggestion, rather than a making a generic statement covering all crypto currency and providing false information.


How is this for a constructive response?

There is nothing stopping you personally from accepting Bitcoin. CAM deals are already peer to peer. No payments go through the site (except for the very recent Buy It Now option). You can accept baskets of peaches in trade if you want. Why not post an ad and state that only Bitcoin will be accepted as payment? ... then get back to us.

Can I have my 'tip' now?


Now that's a better response. CAM deals are peer-to-peer, but the transactions are not (EMT is the middle-man); unless you're paying in cash. Will do on my next ad, and what's your BTC address?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4341
Location: London, ON, CA
HiFiSnus wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
HiFiSnus wrote:
I would give you a "tip" if you provided a constructive response against my suggestion, rather than a making a generic statement covering all crypto currency and providing false information.


How is this for a constructive response?

There is nothing stopping you personally from accepting Bitcoin. CAM deals are already peer to peer. No payments go through the site (except for the very recent Buy It Now option). You can accept baskets of peaches in trade if you want. Why not post an ad and state that only Bitcoin will be accepted as payment? ... then get back to us.

Can I have my 'tip' now?


Now that's a better response. CAM deals are peer-to-peer, but the transactions are not (EMT is the middle-man); unless you're paying in cash. Will do on my next ad, and what's your BTC address?


Sorry, I only accept Interac. I did a deal this morning as a matter of fact, and I had the money in ONE minute (according to the e-mail time stamps) ... so I guess I am not the only one "providing false information".

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am
Posts: 719
Location: Courtenay, BC, CA
I think there has been a spelling error running through this thread - should it not be "Bitcon" :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4341
Location: London, ON, CA
magman888 wrote:
I think there has been a spelling error running through this thread - should it not be "Bitcon" :wink:


No 'tip' for you either! :mrgreen:

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 am
Posts: 29
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Quadzilla wrote:

Sorry, I only accept Interac. I did a deal this morning as a matter of fact, and I had the money in ONE minute (according to the e-mail time stamps) ... so I guess I am not the only one spreading misleading information.




Your choice is your choice, I'm putting the suggestion up there for people who are interested in using the currency. My experience differs, as does yours with crypto currency.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 3025
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Count me out of Crypto money and Bitcoin!

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Coquitlam, BC, CA
I'm totally lost.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:43 pm
Posts: 559
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Probably the biggest risk with Bitcoin and it's ilk, is if a transaction goes south, and you need to get legal involved. Considering something like 80% of bitcoin use is for illicit purchases, by people trying to avoid detection by law enforcement, and a lot of the rest from people trying to avoid paying taxes on income, it's going to be a struggle to get any interest in investigation.

But as others have said, CAM is peer to peer, so there's nothing stopping you from mentioning you take it in your adds.

Cheers, Dave


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group