Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 am 

Good Morning, Admins/Mods:

To add to the previous post, it looks as though the display of the site appears to be off too. Also had tried to respond to an ad and after clicking 'Reply', nothing happens. Don't know if others are also experiencing this. Has been like this on my side for some time. Have tried loading the home page in Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. (Firefox and Internet Explorer displays like the attachments on two computers.) Weird thing is at home, via Firefox, it's fine. :shock: Was there some formatting change some time ago? Thanks for checking/looking into it. 8)

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

Attachments:
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-2.jpg
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-2.jpg [ 74.73 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
CAM-Display-Messed-Up.jpg
CAM-Display-Messed-Up.jpg [ 63.74 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Search Broken
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 am 

The problem you are having with the formatting of site is almost certainly due to blocking of the domain cdn.staticneo.com. Most likely you're blocking this domain due to an extension/add-on to your browser (ad-blocking software is the probable culprit).

I experienced the same problem and in my case it was an add-on called Privacy Badger that was the cause. See the attached photo for how I was able to resolve the issue.

Attachments:
CAM.png
CAM.png [ 511.07 KiB | Viewed 1001 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Search Broken
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 am 

aleknevicus wrote:
The problem you are having with the formatting of site is almost certainly due to blocking of the domain cdn.staticneo.com. Most likely you're blocking this domain due to an extension/add-on to your browser (ad-blocking software is the probable culprit).

I experienced the same problem and in my case it was an add-on called Privacy Badger that was the cause. See the attached photo for how I was able to resolve the issue.

Don't have any Ad-blocking software (unless it's at the Domain/firewall/DMZ level which I cannot modify). Tried disabling the 'Avast Safe Browsing' extension but that didn't help any. Besides, it's the same with three different browsers. Thanks though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am 
Site Admin

@aleknevicus is right that sometimes it can be related to a plugin, especially an ad blocker or privacy plugin. It could also be due to security software, firewall.

You mentioned that at home it works fine, so does this mean the problem is occurring at work? It is possible that security and blocking protocols at your work are causing this. One way to test that, if you are using a laptop, is to use your cellphone's "Wifi Hotspot" feature, and connecting your laptop wifi to the phone, then visiting CAM on the browsers and seeing if the page renders correctly.

Also, what happens when you try to visit:

https://cdn.staticneo.com/neoassets/cam ... 4893019.js

Are you able to load up that page and see a bunch of text (it will look unformatted and hard to read).

And can you load up this mini Canadian flag?

https://cdn.staticneo.com/neoassets/country/ca.gif

What do you see if either of those don't load up? (eg what error messages, if any).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am 

admin wrote:
@aleknevicus is right that sometimes it can be related to a plugin, especially an ad blocker or privacy plugin. It could also be due to security software, firewall.

You mentioned that at home it works fine, so does this mean the problem is occurring at work? It is possible that security and blocking protocols at your work are causing this. One way to test that, if you are using a laptop, is to use your cellphone's "Wifi Hotspot" feature, and connecting your laptop wifi to the phone, then visiting CAM on the browsers and seeing if the page renders correctly.

Also, what happens when you try to visit:

https://cdn.staticneo.com/neoassets/cam ... 4893019.js

Are you able to load up that page and see a bunch of text (it will look unformatted and hard to read).

And can you load up this mini Canadian flag?

What do you see if either of those don't load up? (eg what error messages, if any).

Good Afternoon, Admin:

Both links are blocked. So it would indicated that Domain/Security blocks are doing their job. (Thought it was an isolated case.) :oops: Thanks for the help! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Does this mean you were able to unblock the domain or change security settings to let those through? they are necessary for the operation of CAM (including sending replies).

Could you share more details on how these domains were blocked, by what software, and how you unblocked them so we have some record of what was going on? Is this a work policy block and can you find out why they were blocked?

Can you also specify exactly what happens with these blocked links? If you can post a screenshot of the browser message that can help out too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am 

After reading this and the other thread, thought I would mention I had a reply to an ad, but cannot reply back. It was from a gmail account, and after trying both while logged into CAM online and directly, gmail said the address was unknown.
I wrote it off as spam, but now I wonder.
It was logged as a guest account, likely in Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 am 

I use Little Snitch with Mac OSX and this sort of thing happens if you accidentally block a domain that a site requires.

A lot of sites have assets hosted on 3rd party domains (ads, images on image hosting sites, CSS or other stuff on Content Delivery Networks). It can be a bit of a pain tracking down which domain has been accidentally blocked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sasklite wrote:
After reading this and the other thread, thought I would mention I had a reply to an ad, but cannot reply back. It was from a gmail account, and after trying both while logged into CAM online and directly, gmail said the address was unknown.
I wrote it off as spam, but now I wonder.
It was logged as a guest account, likely in Canada.

Can you create a separate bug report and we can try to investigate? It sounds to me like yours might be a case where the guest just did a typo when filling in his email address.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm 

admin wrote:
Does this mean you were able to unblock the domain or change security settings to let those through? they are necessary for the operation of CAM (including sending replies).

Could you share more details on how these domains were blocked, by what software, and how you unblocked them so we have some record of what was going on? Is this a work policy block and can you find out why they were blocked?

Can you also specify exactly what happens with these blocked links? If you can post a screenshot of the browser message that can help out too.

Good Afternoon, Admins:

Afraid not as the software/firewall used is not known (Infobloc?) and don't have access to that side of things. (i.e., Have not been able to unblock.) The Forums look okay, just seems that the ads section (including the 'Reply') are affected.

Funny thing. On another Windows 7 PC, the first link is showing the long text lines and the second is showing...

-- 07 Nov 2017 15:37 --

Now the website display is overlapping when scrolling. (Although this has happened before also.) Thanks.

Attachments:
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-3.jpg
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-3.jpg [ 73.02 KiB | Viewed 859 times ]
CAM-Certificate-Trust-Error.jpg
CAM-Certificate-Trust-Error.jpg [ 31.3 KiB | Viewed 865 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

It's probably occurring at the firewall/router/web filter level . In my case, the Barracuda Web Security Gateway at work blocks cdn.staticneo.com , as it is categorized as Game Playing & Game Media. Your network admin will have to change the settings......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

This might not necessarily be a work firewall issue, but I'm going to look into changing our CDN in order to reduce the chance of it being blocked by work blocklists.

That Certificate Trust Error seems to me the most likely culprit, but 2 independent tests of our certificate show the certificate is good and intermediate certificates are valid. One theory could be that the work firewall/security may damage the certificate but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Do you mind telling me what version of Firefox you have?

You also mentioned IE and Chrome have problems, do you mind showing me screenshots of IE and Chrome trying to access this image:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm 

admin wrote:
This might not necessarily be a work firewall issue, but I'm going to look into changing our CDN in order to reduce the chance of it being blocked by work blocklists.

That Certificate Trust Error seems to me the most likely culprit, but 2 independent tests of our certificate show the certificate is good and intermediate certificates are valid. One theory could be that the work firewall/security may damage the certificate but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Do you mind telling me what version of Firefox you have?

You also mentioned IE and Chrome have problems, do you mind showing me screenshots of IE and Chrome trying to access this image:

Good Afternoon, Admins:

Apologies but won't be able to provide the screen shots for IE (10/11) and Chrome (46.0.2490.86) aside for the message 'Web page blocked according to ??? policy...Category: games'. Firefox is version 54.0.1 (32-Bit) in Windows 7 or newest one (64-Bit) in Windows 8. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

That type of error sounds more like @selkirk's situation where work policy is restricting the domain.

selkirk - can you shed some light on this? Did you end up having work exclude the domains from blocking? It seems to me that overly broad blocks at work have a net positive unintended benefit for them since it reduces web usage during work hours so I'm guessing most work administrators are not open to unblocking the domain?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

admin wrote:
That type of error sounds more like @selkirk's situation where work policy is restricting the domain.

selkirk - can you shed some light on this? Did you end up having work exclude the domains from blocking? It seems to me that overly broad blocks at work have a net positive unintended benefit for them since it reduces web usage during work hours so I'm guessing most work administrators are not open to unblocking the domain?

We've been undergoing some significant firewall/web filter upgrades lately....so things have been in a state of flux. As the network admin tweaks settings that permit "legitimate" web usage, cdn.staticneo.com has been alternating between blocked and unblocked status.

Admittedly, I've been somewhat hesitant to ask him to unblock it on a permanent basis......and have just been living with the funky formatting for now.