Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:10 pm 

Hey folks,

Looking to ask the gurus here, and this may be a bit of an odd question. But, I currently run my single set of speakers on Speaker A output. I've hardly ever used a Speaker A / B for different zones except when I lived in an apartment and my main listening area was the living room, but also wanted to listen in my room from time to time. Either way, I was wondering if there would be any benefit from hooking up say, left speaker to Speaker A output, and right speaker to Speaker B output? Would there be more, separation, if you would? I know they run off the same innards, and should only be used say to their minimum, two sets of 8ohm as per the amplifiers design (this would give a 4ohm load I think?).

Never done this, but just curious if it would work. I assume it would probably make no difference sound wise, except that I'd have to have speakers a+b on at all times for listening.

Forgive me for the dumbness of this question...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 pm 

speaker switche is only there for convenience. .both output A and B are both plug in paralele. so there would be no benefit in using both this is why when using 4 speaker , impedance drop to the sum of both paire in parallele.
in another word it is the same as pluging 4 speaker to one paire (left, right) of binding post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:38 pm 

Not a dumb question.

It could even be a smart question. I mean, what if there were actually two stereo amplifiers in the box -- or some equivalent setup -- and that's what drove the two different speaker outputs ? If you bridged each one, you could get more power into two speakers.

Or maybe a different setup, with a single stereo amp, but the outputs out of phase so the power supply didn't have to heave out all the juice on the same part of the cycle for both channels ? You'd have to wire the speakers in opposite phase, that's all.

Alas, no.

No particular cleverness has much chance of being involved, here. What generally happens is the two speaker outputs are in parallel, so that if you run two pairs, the amp drives them both, but it sees a lower impedance than it does with a single pair. So you don't want to use two sets of low-impedance speakers. The user manual probably says something like that.

And connecting one speaker to the right side of the A outputs, and the other speaker to the left side of the Bs, sounds the same as connecting both of them to the As or both to the Bs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 am 

If it was me, I'd biwire the speakers and use both outputs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:43 am 

Good idea.

ripblade wrote:
If it was me, I'd biwire the speakers and use both outputs.

@OP, if your speakers have separate inputs for the HF and LF, you have all the connections you need for biwiring.

Of course you can still biwire to only one set of amplifier outputs, using twinned speaker cable with one end joined at the amp. Again, this works if you have the right connections on your speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 am 

My brother had a Rotel Integrated with a Speaker B button.

It was used for a desktop system, so we thought we would try the switched speaker B output so he could mute the amp if he needed to answer the phone.

The switched output sounded awful. If it is just a parallel connection, the switch destroyed the sound quality.

I'd test the different outputs and see if you can tell a difference.

TOM...