Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Showing off new Tonearm
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 am 

My Thorens TD-160 project has progressed nicely with the addition of a new tonearm. First was the cherry wood hardwood plinth, and now the tonearm upgrade. Actually, the Linn LVX was pretty good on the table, but I needed a bit more resolution and refinement. Arms considered were a hot rodded RB-250, a Jelco SA-750, an Origin Live effort, an SME-3009, an NOS Jelco SA-370 or an NOS Jelco/LAD-370D. I decided upon the LAD-370D purchased from an esteemed CAM member, and happily report that the upgrade has been a nice one. A medium mass arm that incorporates oil damping, and while not quite as refined in finishing and ultimate sound quality as an SA-750, it sounds very nice and is a definite upstep from the Linn. The arm came with 8" of loose wiring protruding from the pillar. I purchased a male Cardas DIN from Take Five, had a small threaded set screw drilled in the pillar, and had the DIN soldered and installed. Beautifully done and looks like a factory job. In any event the arm, a new aluminum arm board, the plug, all labour and shipping etc came to a grand total of $505. The LVX was sold for $190, so the net cost of the upgrade was $315 and worth every penny. Presently mounted a Denon DL-110, which is sounding quite nice, a very natural and non fatiguing sound with the LAD. With the massier arm however, I can play with some other MC carts too. Here's a photo!

Attachments:
IMG_20171023_120835963.jpg
IMG_20171023_120835963.jpg [ 194.7 KiB | Viewed 1363 times ]

Last edited by cyrus on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 am 

Looking real nice Chris :D
A keeper :?: :?: :lol:
I was seriously looking at a Jelco SA-750 when considering a second arm for my Gyro, but in the end the beauty of the SME 3009 SII won me over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 pm 

Thanks Magman! It's a good result. The 750 is a really nice arm to be sure, having had one a few years ago on a nice Systemdek (should have just kept that one I suppose ...). But I do understand the allure of the 3009 arms. Very attractive option for the Thorens too, considering they were essentially the arm of choice for the model in the day. I'd say the 370 is perhaps 80% of the way there in comparison to the refinement offered by the 750, however the 370 seems to have a more prominent mid range ... but who knows, given all of the variables involved. Good times! I think? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm 

NIce table. I have a Revolver with a Jelco 250 ST, great arm. The 750 is one of the best arms for the $$. My Thorens TD 126 MKIII has a Rega RB250 rewired with JA Mitchell VFT weight with a Grado Red 1 Premier cartridge. I used a solid oak mounting board to replace the original.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/def1 ... 72e95.webp

and

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4You ... 1BfeEVYNVk

Last edited by Musicware4u on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:45 pm 

I had this arm at one time, it was pretty decent. A headshell with adjustable azimuth was a good upgrade. Also I seem to recall there was some confusion about the exact pivot to spindle distance. You might want to double check that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
NIce table. I have a Revolver with a Jelco 250 ST, great arm. The 750 is one of the best arms for the $$. My Thorens TD 126 MKIII has a Rega RB250 rewired with JA Mitchell VFT weight with a Grado Red 1 Premier cartridge. I used a solid oak mounting board to replace the original.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4YoudmYOqVbOWlIbUxleXNacHM

and

Nice table! I also have fond memories of a Revolver "red" that I had for 17 years! It sound great with my old Cyrus 2 amp, PSX and Maggie SMGa speakers. Good old days.

-- 24 Oct 2017 04:39 --

Sarchi wrote:
I had this arm at one time, it was pretty decent. A headshell with adjustable azimuth was a good upgrade. Also I seem to recall there was some confusion about the exact pivot to spindle distance. You might want to double check that.

Funny you should mention the head shell Sarchi. I will likely replace the 370 shell with an adjustable azimuth head shell from the 750 (the HS-25 I believe). I like the idea of having this adjustment, as most tables and arms that I have had over the years without, has shown the azimuth to be off slightly. I have also read here and there about the spindle to pivot distance. Specs show 214 with a 15 overhang, which is the same as the 750 and 250 (not the 250ST). Being a Jelco 9", I think it is correct. There have been issues, however, with owners of Jelco SA-370 arms, which are 9.4" effective length.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:19 am 

cyrus wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:

and

Nice table! I also have fond memories of a Revolver "red" that I had for 17 years! It sound great with my old Cyrus 2 amp, PSX and Maggie SMGa speakers. Good old days.

Sarchi wrote:

Funny you should mention the head shell Sarchi. I will likely replace the 370 shell with an adjustable azimuth head shell from the 750 (the HS-25 I believe). I like the idea of having this adjustment, as most tables and arms that I have had over the years without, has shown the azimuth to be off slightly. I have also read here and there about the spindle to pivot distance. Specs show 214 with a 15 overhang, which is the same as the 750 and 250 (not the 250ST). Being a Jelco 9", I think it is correct. There have been issues, however, with owners of Jelco SA-370 arms, which are 9.4" effective length.

You are correct on the Spindle to Pivot specs. Given you had a Linn LVX arm on it prior, we can assume the armboard was drilled to a Linn spec Spindle to Pivot of 214mm. Hopefully you measured to confirm for it is possible this is incorrect. Many Jelco and their OEM arms follow the Linn spec, including the LAD-370D. The Rega based arms (RB-250 and Origin Live) and the SME -3009 do not follow this spec so good choice!

Nice table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 am 

magman888 wrote:
I was seriously looking at a Jelco SA-750 when considering a second arm for my Gyro, but in the end the beauty of the SME 3009 SII won me over.

I have an SME series 3 and was wondering about the series 2. Have you ever compared the two? The cartridge I'd be running is quite high compliance so that is a factor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 am 

analogluvr wrote:
magman888 wrote:

I have an SME series 3 and was wondering about the series 2. Have you ever compared the two? The cartridge I'd be running is quite high compliance so that is a factor.

I have not actually owned/used a S3 but according to Vinyl engine it works best with high compliance carts, where as the S2 works well with both high and medium compliance. Even some Moving Coils.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 am 

Quote:

You got it right. The Jelco-branded arm is longer. The confusion occured because some of us bought the LAD with no paperwork. And believing it was identical to the SA370, we used that template in error.

If you can still find the Sumiko billet aluminum headshell, that was a nice one for a very reasonable price. Similar to the Jelco but it looked better. This is 7-8 years ago so I don't know about what's out there nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
cyrus wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:

and

Sarchi wrote:

You are correct on the Spindle to Pivot specs. Given you had a Linn LVX arm on it prior, we can assume the armboard was drilled to a Linn spec Spindle to Pivot of 214mm. Hopefully you measured to confirm for it is possible this is incorrect. Many Jelco and their OEM arms follow the Linn spec, including the LAD-370D. The Rega based arms (RB-250 and Origin Live) and the SME -3009 do not follow this spec so good choice!

Nice table.

I believe the mounting distance for the Linn is 211 with an 18 overhang, so different than the Jelco arms. The mounting bolt pattern is the same between the two, with exception of the LAD. To confuse further, the Jelco SA-250ST straight arm tube version will work with the Linn drilled board, but it specs out a distance of 210 mm vs the Linns 211 mm. So a 1 mm adjustment would need to be made with the cartridge in the headshell. In any event, I did acquire a brand new board for the new tonearm at the proper Jelco spec of 214.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:28 pm 

I have recently gone the same route, also in Victoria. I started by adding the Sumiko MMA tonearm (as a second tonearm) and was so enamored with the quality of the machining, smoothness of bearings, and of course sound, that I went and got a 750 to replace the stock, first tonearm.

They really are lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm 

kcross wrote:
I have recently gone the same route, also in Victoria. I started by adding the Sumiko MMA tonearm (as a second tonearm) and was so enamored with the quality of the machining, smoothness of bearings, and of course sound, that I went and got a 750 to replace the stock, first tonearm.

They really are lovely.

That's great kcross! Yes indeed, they are very nice tonearms. Are the arms for a Thorens table?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm 

cyrus wrote:
kcross wrote:

They really are lovely.

That's great kcross! Yes indeed, they are very nice tonearms. Are the arms for a Thorens table?

My Jelcos are on a Technics 1200 in a plinth I made.
I have a 3mm copper mat on it (from Local metals company Silver Fern Stainless) and the dustcover is from Plexi-Klas, also a local company.

Attachments:
20171025_194137.jpg
20171025_194137.jpg [ 207.73 KiB | Viewed 530 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:34 pm 

That's a true beauty.