Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:10 pm
Posts: 16
Location: London,, ON, CA
Hello all! This is merely out of curiosity. I've always wondered what the big deal is with vintage audio equipment especially amplifiers. I've never owned one so I would not know the difference. My first audio equipments were Yamaha integrated, equalizer, cassete deck back in 1988 or 1989. With the advancement in technology, you still see so many of this vintage equipments and at times are more expensive than the current ones. Marantz, Sansui, Akai etc. Is it merely nostalgia or is there something unique about the sound? I do like the way a lot of them looks esp. the silver finish. Thanks all!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Thornhill, ON, CA
Aside from Class D designs, there hasn't been much change in amplification in the past 30 or so years.

A high quality amp from 1988 is still high quality provided age or use hasnt caused deterioration.

Some electrical components can potentially fail due to age (capacitors), and useage (resistors). Bottom line is an old legendary amp can still be awesome provided it is operating to spec. I use a 1988 high end amp that is 100% original.

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
No matter how much water you can soak up with a sponge, you can always break a window with a hammer!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:11 am
Posts: 45
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
I love vintage... not the typical receivers though :)


Attachments:
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG [ 114.31 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG [ 107.46 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]
citation4.jpg
citation4.jpg [ 139.97 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]
DSCN4503.JPG
DSCN4503.JPG [ 274.26 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 am
Posts: 207
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
racecars wrote:
Aside from Class D designs, there hasn't been much change in amplification in the past 30 or so years.

A high quality amp from 1988 is still high quality provided age or use hasnt caused deterioration.

Some electrical components can potentially fail due to age (capacitors), and useage (resistors). Bottom line is an old legendary amp can still be awesome provided it is operating to spec. I use a 1988 high end amp that is 100% original.


Well said.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
Late 80's is vintage now?! Frick...

Vintage for me is the look, the feel, the money no object build... and those components that gave me a chubby but couldn't afford when I was, ahem...younger.

_________________
You like that redgren grumbholdt reference? Yeah. Well, guess what? I made him up. You really are your father's children. Think for yourselves. Don't be sheep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:49 pm
Posts: 22
Location: edmonton, AB, CA
I'm running a Sonic Frontier Sfc1 it's approx. 24yrs old , at the time it was state of the art passive parts quality,mit multi cap, stolen, Holcomb, etc. To buy the same amp today would set you back a few bucks for the same thing. The only thing I done to it is buy more tubes. Taking to Chris at Parts Conn he may see one every two yrs. for minor work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 896
Location: pincourt, QC, CA
As I see it Vintage Audio is popular today for a number of reasons, due to the Baby Boomers who remember the equipment of their youth and either owned it or couldn't afford it back in the day. Receivers, amps, tape decks, etc. were made with metal parts, often featured real wood cases or side panels and were solidly built (for the most part). Due to the supply and demand prices have sky rocketed to a point where human emotion has superseded reality and common sense. It's unrealistic to expect a 30 or 40 year old piece of gear to sound as good as it did back in the 1960's, 1970's, or whenever it was built, parts will need to be replaced and if you can't find a modern equivalent that has the same sonic quality then instead of refurbishing the unit will end up being modded, which is something that purists have no interest in. I've always liked the look of the Quad 33/303 and last week I bought a refurbished 33 and as used 303, I paid $275. for the 303 and then laid out $600. to bring the amp up to specs. I'm now questioning my sanity as I'm going to use this in a vintage system. Cassette decks are the most over priced vintage gear in my opinion. I owned many cassette decks in the 1970's and 80's. Most of the decks I owned were one step up from an eight track. The best cassette decks I owned were from Denon, Nak, and Tandberg, even these expensive decks were no match for a reel to reel. Cassette tapes were best used in your car stereo. I remember the joy of driving down the highway and listening to some great music when all of a sudden the tape jammed in the player and or began spewing miles of tape on the floorboard.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:31 pm
Posts: 952
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
A really interesting read is the website select 45rpm. Do a Google search on that and you'll have hours of interesting and entertaining reading.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
For me a lot of it is the look, the meters, metal, wood, memories etc. as already mentioned. It also gets me off of my lazy butt to flip the record over every 15 minutes or so. It can also be affordable, though that seems to be changing. There is a bit of a thrill if you are a bit of a treasure hunter and find a great deal at a garage sale too. I won't say I have a preference new or vintage. But I'm pretty sure my hearing isn't perfect, and I'm not rich either. So my two cents is worth about, two cents. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:01 pm
Posts: 1021
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
NeatFreak wrote:
Hello all! This is merely out of curiosity. I've always wondered what the big deal is with vintage audio equipment especially amplifiers. I've never owned one so I would not know the difference. My first audio equipments were Yamaha integrated, equalizer, cassete deck back in 1988 or 1989. With the advancement in technology, you still see so many of this vintage equipments and at times are more expensive than the current ones. Marantz, Sansui, Akai etc. Is it merely nostalgia or is there something unique about the sound? I do like the way a lot of them looks esp. the silver finish. Thanks all!


I owned Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, AKAI, Yamaha just to name a few back in the 70's and 80's and I can tell you with great certainty that soundwise they're not on par with today's equipment with the same price point that they're asking for except for the original Marantz 9 monoblocks. But even as good as the original Marantz 9, it was bettered by the reissue ones in 1996. So you guess it their popularity today is purely driven by nostalgia.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:10 pm
Posts: 16
Location: London,, ON, CA
Thank you all for the reply! It really gave me more knowledge now than before. One reason I asked is a few years ago I went down to Goodwill with my wife on a Sunday and they had a cart full of stereo stuffs. One of them was a Harman Kardon receiver. It looked vintage but I did not buy it since I knew nothing about vintage. To me it looks outdated so it must sound outdated. I ended up buying a Mirage and Camber bookshelves for like $10 each. Since then I kinda regret whether I missed something by not buying the receiver. I still should have bought it since it was cheap then.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:02 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Sleepy Hollow, NS, CA
Most of it has to do with nostalgia.

What some might see as dated styling, some see as cool. I really love the styling on my Pioneer SX-939 with the black out dial.It was also good quality with a metal face plate and knobs, veneered wood cases, etc..

I think in recent times it is a bit of a fad to buy vintage equipment, but it does have it`s issues with aging caps, transistors, dirty pots, etc.. My SX-939 had been restored and it was worth the extra it cost, but paying similar money for an unrestored example could prove risky if it goes bad.

It really pays to do research on some of this vintage equipment since some designs had inherent problems due to things such as poor quality switches, overheating, corrosive glue, etc..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:06 pm
Posts: 974
Location: hawkesbury, ON, CA
the thing about vintage gear is . let say you like McIntosh. well a 200 watt McIntosh amp today would cost you probably $10000 today. so a used one today might cost you $2000, so what can you get today at $2000 that will deliver the same quality built. and that the sound is still excelent by todays standard. so yes it might need a little tlc ounce in a while. but todays technologies have many integrated circuit, that only a few years later,are already discontinued or have to buy the whole circuit board that cost more then the unit. making them disposable unit. it break and cost more then it is worth to fixes. so you might as well, through it in the garbage. most good brand like American or Canadian made from back then use part that can be found easely today.even after 40 years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:39 pm
Posts: 599
Location: West of GTA Boonies, ON, CA
tube54 wrote:
NeatFreak wrote:
Hello all! This is merely out of curiosity. I've always wondered what the big deal is with vintage audio equipment especially amplifiers. I've never owned one so I would not know the difference. My first audio equipments were Yamaha integrated, equalizer, cassete deck back in 1988 or 1989. With the advancement in technology, you still see so many of this vintage equipments and at times are more expensive than the current ones. Marantz, Sansui, Akai etc. Is it merely nostalgia or is there something unique about the sound? I do like the way a lot of them looks esp. the silver finish. Thanks all!


I owned Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, AKAI, Yamaha just to name a few back in the 70's and 80's and I can tell you with great certainty that soundwise they're not on par with today's equipment with the same price point that they're asking for except for the original Marantz 9 monoblocks. But even as good as the original Marantz 9, it was bettered by the reissue ones in 1996. So you guess it their popularity today is purely driven by nostalgia.


+ 1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:06 pm
Posts: 974
Location: hawkesbury, ON, CA
tube54 wrote:
NeatFreak wrote:
Hello all! This is merely out of curiosity. I've always wondered what the big deal is with vintage audio equipment especially amplifiers. I've never owned one so I would not know the difference. My first audio equipments were Yamaha integrated, equalizer, cassete deck back in 1988 or 1989. With the advancement in technology, you still see so many of this vintage equipments and at times are more expensive than the current ones. Marantz, Sansui, Akai etc. Is it merely nostalgia or is there something unique about the sound? I do like the way a lot of them looks esp. the silver finish. Thanks all!


I owned Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, AKAI, Yamaha just to name a few back in the 70's and 80's and I can tell you with great certainty that soundwise they're not on par with today's equipment with the same price point that they're asking for except for the original Marantz 9 monoblocks. But even as good as the original Marantz 9, it was bettered by the reissue ones in 1996. So you guess it their popularity today is purely driven by nostalgia.

when it come to budget systemes like those one you mention.indeed todays newer stuff give you good values for the same price. but there is a reason why those where and are still today,budget systemes.
and that model 9 reissues. was just that, a reissue (same amp,but updated)it was similar to the old one, but, was also probably 10 time it s price
you can say the same for mc 275 McIntosh . it was also reissued 5 or 6 time. everytime at many times it s original price.
so you just proved that even 50 years later they are still classics,top performer, and very much south after.
reinforcing WHY is vintage so popular.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BinkyTheCat, milesian, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group