Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:31 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

If a pro or business, or manufacturer fails to pay their membership fee, all old adverts come up as banned.

Which leaves casual searchers of the internet to feel that very likely the seller was dishonest or a thief of some sort.

so, in order to maintain their reputation, once someone as a manufacturer or store has become a member by paying, they have to pay again and again, every year, in order to not have the public (who are doing web searches for items) think they are dirtbags.

I can see the logic in stopping what looks like free advertising, but surely there is a better way than lambasting everyone with a banned flag, if they decide to no longer be a paying member?

Something other than a big red BANNED flag?

Please find a way to add a second category of some sort when you block members who have decided to move on. As they probably moved on, very likely....on good terms. Having all their old adverts marked as banned is wrong, so very very wrong.

It's a big thing, regarding their reputation and that of the forum itself.

And I know it is probably a software issue, where the software needs to be redone in order to get to having such a capacity for two selections instead of the single banned aspect. And I know it may not be fixed right away. Or that the older aspects of such may not be fixable, due to the sheer number of people who have moved on.

This happened about six moths ago, for me... and I was absolutely livid about it. Screaming angry, kinda thing. For all the right reasons.

I put it aside until now, I'm finally mentioning it....but there will be a time in the future where it will happen again, even for a short while, as I (as reasonable thinking humans should all do) do not allow anyone to do automatic withdraw of any funds from any account I hold.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 am 

Of the few pictures I have come across in my Google searches that apply to this scenario, when I go back to the original ad have the names not been removed to protect the innocent?
Something like "user account has been banned by the system"? No actual names..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:48 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Of the few pictures I have come across in my Google searches that apply to this scenario, when I go back to the original ad have the names not been removed to protect the innocent?
Something like "user account has been banned by the system"? No actual names..

If one is a manufacturer or dealer or distributor selling their own product, the connection is quite obvious. Hence the problem.....

Ie, if I decide to move on and decide to not pay for a membership every year, and people search the net for Teo audio product and find them at canuck and find the adverts BANNED, that's a case of harm to one's reputation, for no good reason.

I do a lot of net searching, I'm quite good at it, having learned to search the net before the net formally existed. I've probably seen that banned bit ....at least a hundred times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 am 
Premium User

Screen shot an example because I usually just see banned with no user id if I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

byefi wrote:
Screen shot an example because I usually just see banned with no user id if I recall.

Ah, it's case of a manufacturer, selling their wares.

Google image search.

You get adverts coming up.

click on the image, and it comes up banned at canuck.

Part of the description comes up before people see the banned bit. It's a search engine thing.

It is self explanatory. Really.

I understand it is the software and it may take time to fix..to find or build a routine to deal with it. But It really needs to be fixed, for the sake of the forum, not just my whiny self.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 am 

Same exit strategy as Hotel California.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 am 
Premium User

I complained to Admin about this "Banned" issue years ago, and nothing ever happened.
I had two identities on Canuck for awhile, one for my friend's store to sell his consignment gear, and one for myself.
When the economy killed-off the store, I just adapted the second identity for myself, for different types of items. After a couple of years, Canuck staff found out about it and although they didn't really give me a hard time about it, they told me that I would have to dump one of the identities. That was reasonable, so I chose one to have deleted.
They wouldn't carry-over the feedback I had built-up there (bye-bye 77 feedbacks) and I found that anytime I was doing research and wanted to access one of those old ads to get some info from it, the CAM site didn't display it and said that it had been "Banned" from the site.
That is just false and inflammatory, and if people knew who you were or recognized something in the ad associated to you, they will get the wrong idea.
All they have to do is flag it, saying "this ad info is no longer available". Doing what they do now is just lazy, and possibly damaging to an innocent seller.
Save the 'Banned' label for the crooks who deserve it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
byefi wrote:

Ah, it's case of a manufacturer, selling their wares.

Google image search.

You get adverts coming up.

click on the image, and it comes up banned at canuck.

Part of the description comes up before people see the banned bit. It's a search engine thing.

I understand it is the software and it may take time to fix..to find or build a routine to deal with it. But It really needs to be fixed, for the sake of the forum, not just my whiny self.

Do you have an example of this? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it, so it must be pretty rare (?). Not that I would ever look for a manufacturers goods for sale through an image search, or on CAM anyway. I would usually assume that they sell through their own website in the first place. May be just me :)
b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am 

Dealer or Premium accounts that default (i.e. fail to/elect not to renew their fees) are put on hold pending payment of their fees or some other resolution that can be reached between the user and Admin/Sales/Moderators.

They are not BANNED unless there has been suspicious activity linked to the account. Instead, any ad from a user account that is on hold will say INACTIVE.

If you are no longer wish to be a supporting member of our site, you should e-mail the Moderators at moderators@canuckaudiomart.com so we can discuss this and work out a plan to remove the account from our site.

Please note that one cannot expect to convert a Dealer account to a Free account if one continues being a Dealer in the industry. In other words, if a Dealer feels that paying the fee to help support our site is excessive and offers no value in return, you are welcome to close the account but we also expect that all Dealer activity connected to the account also ceases. No ads or forum activity promoting the business will be allowed.

-- 19 Oct 2017 10:05 --

AVguy wrote:
I complained to Admin about this "Banned" issue years ago, and nothing ever happened.
I had two identities on Canuck for awhile, one for my friend's store to sell his consignment gear, and one for myself.
When the economy killed-off the store, I just adapted the second identity for myself, for different types of items. After a couple of years, Canuck staff found out about it and although they didn't really give me a hard time about it, they told me that I would have to dump one of the identities. That was reasonable, so I chose one to have deleted.
They wouldn't carry-over the feedback I had built-up there (bye-bye 77 feedbacks) and I found that anytime I was doing research and wanted to access one of those old ads to get some info from it, the CAM site didn't display it and said that it had been "Banned" from the site.
That is just false and inflammatory, and if people knew who you were or recognized something in the ad associated to you, they will get the wrong idea.
All they have to do is flag it, saying "this ad info is no longer available". Doing what they do now is just lazy, and possibly damaging to an innocent seller.

Back in the early days of my Moderator tenure, we dealt with duplicate accounts by banning them. When we got feedback from various users that the banning was too harsh, we changed the way handled duplicate accounts. We now REMOVE them instead so there is no longer a BANNED flag attached to the accounts.

If any user's account was banned for being a duplicate of another account and continues to show BANNED on any old ad, please e-mail the account name to moderators@canuckaudiomart.com and we will fix this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:07 am 

angust63 wrote:
Dealer or Premium accounts that default (i.e. fail to/elect not to renew their fees) are put on hold pending payment of their fees or some other resolution that can be reached between the user and Admin/Sales/Moderators.

They are not BANNED unless there has been suspicious activity linked to the account. Instead, any ad from a user account that is on hold will say INACTIVE.

If you are no longer wish to be a supporting member of our site, you should e-mail the Moderators at moderators@canuckaudiomart.com so we can discuss this and work out a plan to remove the account from our site.

Please note that one cannot expect to convert a Dealer account to a Free account if one continues being a Dealer in the industry. In other words, if a Dealer feels that paying the fee to help support our site is excessive and offers no value in return, you are welcome to close the account but we also expect that all Dealer activity connected to the account also ceases. No ads or forum activity promoting the business will be allowed.

-- 19 Oct 2017 10:05 --

AVguy wrote:

Back in the early days of my Moderator tenure, we dealt with duplicate accounts by banning them. When we got feedback from various users that the banning was too harsh, we changed the way handled duplicate accounts. We now REMOVE them instead so there is no longer a BANNED flag attached to the accounts.

If any user's account was banned for being a duplicate of another account and continues to show BANNED on any old ad, please e-mail the account name to moderators@canuckaudiomart.com and we will fix this.

All of the above comments made by August63 make pretty good sense to me, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

Times must be tough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:07 pm 

^ Maybe that.

Teo Audio wrote:

Not really. It's baffling, I don't see it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Teo Audio,

Sorry to hear about your frustration 6 months ago and thanks for bringing this up. angust63 is correct that users who let their subscription lapse are put into a "inactive" status rather than being banned, but I found a really old inactive dealer account and I see that their ads do appear to have a misleading banned message. This is a serious bug and not intentional. I don't think all inactive users have this behaviour, so we'll look into fixing it.

----Update (Thurs Oct 26th)---

This bug has been fixed now. Our specification calls for inactive accounts to not show up anymore (they show that the account is inactive), but for the inactive ads themselves to merely remove the seller's information and retain the images and description, and now the ads work to spec.

Thanks for reporting this again!