Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sansui SP 3005
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 am 

Hey all im just new to the group here, im in Cambridge Ontario,recently I purchased a pair of these beauts and rare speakers that are all original never been opened either except to take the front grills off. I found that the woofer in one has a voice coil rub,im no professional by any means so Ide like to find somebody that can repair this without messing up the doped cloth surround, basically keeping it original,anyone around that can perform this task I would greatly appreciate it, or if I could be steered in the right direction of a pro that can do this! Best regards,Mark.

Post subject: Re: Sansui SP 3005
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 am 

It's possible that the rub is from the speaker sitting too long in one position.
You might try rotating the driver 180 degrees and seeing if it disappears.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 am 

KJT1 wrote:
It's possible that the rub is from the speaker sitting too long in one position.
You might try rotating the driver 180 degrees and seeing if it disappears.

Yes I was thinking that or just flipping the whole cabinet then put on Zeppelin No Quarter off the Houses Of The Holy album.Then if it's ok I will solder a spliced in longer wire and rotate the woofer itself, then I will flip the other woofer in the other speaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am 

Hello,

As "KJT1" said, try rotating the 12" woofer first, yourself. You don't need an expert to do this task.

In the back, you will first have to take off the little box in the upper left corner, it's the crossover. 4 screws, then unplug 6 wires or 8? Anyway you will see them all as you retrieve the box. They are of the quick attachment, then take the back off, and unplug (2 quick disconnect wires) the woofer.
In the front you will have to un-screws the woofer (8 screws) , and can then rotate the woofer as per "KJT1) instruction.

Follow this video...

On the plus side, this will be your first Italian's lesson... :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14SDl8OEbY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Just my experience:

Never scrape a woofer coil by playing it. Or scrape it by fiddling with it by hand.

You'll have to flip the woofers and then check by hand, over time, as they sit, to see if they are scrape free.

Only when the GENTLE hand tests are indicating that the coil is no longer scraping, can you GENTLY play it a little bit.

As it becomes more correctly aligned over time, then you can start playing it normally.

this process may take months or it may take days. More likely months for it to sag back to proper position.

Right now, you are in the danger zone. Be careful and slow, or the speakers will very likely be a write-off.

scraping the coil at all, means shorting the coil and blowing the driver and possibly the given connected amplifier. That's usually the end result: A blown woofer and blown amp. A unhappy person with a pair of blown bookends.

(sez the ex part-time pro-ish install guy, who had to go into clubs and flip 18" & 15" woofers...like clockwork, every 6-9-12 months, depending n the install. It's just good maintenance.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 am 

Thanks for the great info guys i'll do it this evening and give an update