Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Emotion vs Science
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 am 

I’m interested in a civil discussion about the intentions behind our passion of music and hifi equipment.

Music is an intensely emotional experience whether in the car, at home, or live. It’s tied to memories, people, places, or just passion for the artist creating the music. I think many of us will have such strong responses that is borders on the mystical.

I think these responses are what create the passion for recreating those experiences more consistently. I’ve had these moments with girlfriends in old cars on the radio, or at small venues with awful sound. The quality doesn’t necessarily have a connection to the emotional experience.

When does this mystical experience bleed into the equipment we use? What are the reprocussions? I think a lot of the (ahem) debates I get into come from those with an emotional attachment to gear, which started from an attachment to music. I’m guilty of this too, I love deoving and road trips so I bought a bmw with wood grain and leather that reminds me of my grandpas old Cadillac. Is there anything mystical about gear though? Why are we so quick to throw away measurements and studies that don’t line up with our experience? This feels like a disservice to all of us I have more to say, but I’m interested in people’s thoughts and experience.

Post subject: Re: Emotion vs Science
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am 

I remember reading an article in an audio magazine years ago, and the author described having exceptional music experiences with pretty mediocre gear. Once in a while everything just connects. This probably includes the listener's mental and emotional states, the company that one is in, the environment, and all the quirks in the music system aligning.
My most surprising "good listens" were in a 1967 Chev 1/2 ton with a Motorola AM radio and a dashboard speaker. They usually involved returning from fishing trips, with a bit of beer, so the state of mind was good. Road noise not withstanding.
I probably do not enjoy music any more now than I did when I was a kid with a portable record player, but the joy of music, plus perfectionism, plus a tinker's curiosity about electronics has resulted in my spending way too much time and money in pursuit of the stereo which I now own. It is a pretty good stereo and there are still some magical moments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 am 

One of the many moments I have had was nearly 40 years travelling along the Lucasville road in a Scamp convertible with a friend. "Dream On' hit the stock radio and we just belted it out. At the song end we were flying well past the speed limit and long missed our turn off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am 

Maybe it's just a Pavlov's Dogs-like association thing, where we can see and touch the tangible equipment and it leads us to re-live the joyful auditory moments that it has created for us. One sense used to re-live an experience from another. I mean, don't you wonder sometimes about sound and vision?

As for chasing the Holy Grail with more expensive or high end gear, maybe part of us thinks something like "Remember that night in the late 80's with that Ghettoblaster? Imagine if the next time the planets align and all of the conditions are perfect and we have an awesome 2-channel filling the room! Perfect will be even MORE perfect!"

I have my old Fisher dual deck cassette player gathering dust in my analog rack. When I look at it, even if I'm streaming something from Spotify, which is a process I never would even have imagined when I bought that deck in '88, I can't help but remember the joy I had making and listening to all of the mixed tapes that provided the soundtrack to my studies, pre-party beers and post party pass-outs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 am 

These are really excellent stories so far, I’m enjouing them a lot. I’m fine with the thread changing to accommodate more like these !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am 

I suspect that much (not all) of what we like in music is based on what we liked when we were teenagers and young adults. Seemed to work that way for my parents too.

It may be that our equipment preferences are defined at that age too. At that age I saw live rock bands pretty well every week. Clubs and concerts playing amplified rock music using high powered amps and PA speakers. That's the equipment I lusted for in those days. Big stuff that plays loud with good dynamics. The equipment I prefer today is monster amps and big PA speakers. Equipment that doesn't rock doesn't do anything for me, no matter how refined it is.

Last edited by noway on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am 

This unit (if it shows up) was the "stereo" of my youth, and I enjoyed that piece, playing either cassette or FM radio, probably more than the system I own today that is worth north of 10k ...

Last edited by L-Man on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:28 am 

http://journals.lww.com/thehearingjourn ... he.14.aspx
Quote:
Most of us probably have an intuitive sense of the hearing-emotion connection. Think about the pleasure felt from listening to music or the sadness endured when a favorite musician passes away. And of course, listening difficulties such as auditory processing disorder or hearing loss exert a significant emotional toll by affecting patients’ quality of life.

This article is written by - and for - Audiology Professionals. However it highlts the connecton between hearing and emotion.
When I worked in AUD I often counselled people with Hyperacusis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis) about creating new emotional connections with sound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:26 pm 

Great topic and my journey has gone back and forth between products that engage but don't measure all that well to those made by the big dollar companies with large research budgets.

BTW, I am a hardcore boom box guy but the really great ones to my ears were made by JVC after the classic era and had the Avtive Hyperbass circuit. The enjoyment I still get from these boom boxes with FM and tapes sometimes embarrasses me.

I think that level of enjoyment though is a good reminder of what we should expect out of our systems but sometimes don't get. This is especially true if we have gone down a rabbit hole caused by one really awful component that messed up an otherwise decent system previously. Most of us seasoned audiophiles have been there. More than once in some cases. The enjoyment from those more modest sources is often what snaps us back to reality and lets us deal with the offending component in a more permanent way.