Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:41 pm 

Sorry people but the show was a huge disappointment in my opinion.

I didn't see, or more importantly hear, any 'statement' rooms. Although some were making some good sound.

Some salons were not even open (Audio Eden?)

Listening areas on the main floor, most with MDF white doors, curtains surrounding them hung on 2 x 4 frames. Really....

I kept walking around hoping to find the area that I must have missed, never found it (signage was almost non existent)

I did buy some vinyl from Sonic Boom, they were good guys.

Could be the last of this show that I and my buddies attend, we were gone by noon. Too bad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:36 pm 

DDzStereo wrote:
Sorry people but the show was a huge disappointment in my opinion.

I didn't see, or more importantly hear, any 'statement' rooms. Although some were making some good sound.

Some salons were not even open (Audio Eden?)

Listening areas on the main floor, most with MDF white doors, curtains surrounding them hung on 2 x 4 frames. Really....

I kept walking around hoping to find the area that I must have missed, never found it (signage was almost non existent)

I did buy some vinyl from Sonic Boom, they were good guys.

Could be the last of this show that I and my buddies attend, we were gone by noon. Too bad

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to make my way there tomorrow. But, given the abundance of negative reviews, I don't think I'd bother. Too bad. I look forward to this show every year.

I hope they choose a different venue next year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

This is unfortunate to hear. Living on the rock makes it hard to get there just to check out the show... So, no dice on that one for me. But, some year I shall go. The only thing that I could say about this is that it may not be existent by the time I get around to going!

Would be pretty cool to check out all these cool audio things! But, sucks to hear it isn't all that good! Was Michael Fremer there? :p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:23 pm 
Premium User

I was there today and would say that it was a very modest showing of dealers, distributors and manufacturers. I am really surprised that the Canadian manufacturers aren't more supportive. I guess they are focused on the Montreal show. No Paradigm (would have liked to hear the Personas), no Sim. Bryston and Totem had rooms, as did little Coincident. American Sound, where were you? Why can't a market like Toronto support a decent, standalone hi-end audio show?

That said, there were a couple of standout rooms. Despite being in one of the aforementioned veal huts, Audiovector sounded fantastic. Top of the line SR-3's driven by a Unico hybrid amp and other Goldnote electronics was the highlight for me. These relatively small, light(!) speakers were superb playing music from a Goldnote streamer. REALLY impressive. Beautiful soundstage and imaging, very fast and rhythmic presentation. Just fantastic.

The Coincident room was also great. Retro 15's driven by a tiny tube amp generated a veritable wall of sound when playing several classical selections.

Totem had a new, compact floorstander with two tiny woofers and a dome tweeter that was being driven by Naim amps. Couldn't believe how big the sound was, coming from tiny (4"?) drivers. Vince says it is hitting retailers now.

Finally, Focal's Kanta 2 was GORGEOUS, at least by my tastes. But alas, they had only a floor display that wasn't appropriate for listening. Beautiful, about $11K.

As you can tell, I was interested in speakers and, other than the Coincident (very large), I would seriously consider each for purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:42 pm 

Dying business. Critical mass gone. Buh-bye!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:59 pm 

therealco wrote:
This is unfortunate to hear. Living on the rock makes it hard to get there just to check out the show... So, no dice on that one for me. But, some year I shall go. The only thing that I could say about this is that it may not be existent by the time I get around to going!

Would be pretty cool to check out all these cool audio things! But, sucks to hear it isn't all that good! Was Michael Fremer there? :p

No Fremer but I saw Gerard Rejskind from UHF and Robert Deutsche (I think) from Stereophile.

While this year's show was not as good as previously, there is no way I would miss it. The RV show was in the next build over and you could get both shows for an extra $5 so good value if you got both shows.

Some really great sounds were dialed in later in the day - the big Focals, the Audiovectors, Martens the big PMCs.

I must say the Italians and Scandinavians appear to make my favourite hifi these days. Goldnote stuff is absolutely beautiful to listen to - so far not heard a dud in the entire product line up and it was sprinkled throughout the show.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 pm 

Tangram wrote:
I was there today and would say that it was a very modest showing of dealers, distributors and manufacturers. I am really surprised that the Canadian manufacturers aren't more supportive. I guess they are focused on the Montreal show. No Paradigm (would have liked to hear the Personas), no Sim. Bryston and Totem had rooms, as did little Coincident. American Sound, where were you? Why can't a market like Toronto support a decent, standalone hi-end audio show?

That said, there were a couple of standout rooms. Despite being in one of the aforementioned veal huts, Audiovector sounded fantastic. Top of the line SR-3's driven by a Unico hybrid amp and other Goldnote electronics was the highlight for me. These relatively small, light(!) speakers were superb playing music from a Goldnote streamer. REALLY impressive. Beautiful soundstage and imaging, very fast and rhythmic presentation. Just fantastic.

The Coincident room was also great. Retro 15's driven by a tiny tube amp generated a veritable wall of sound when playing several classical selections.

Totem had a new, compact floorstander with two tiny woofers and a dome tweeter that was being driven by Naim amps. Couldn't believe how big the sound was, coming from tiny (4"?) drivers. Vince says it is hitting retailers now.

Finally, Focal's Kanta 2 was GORGEOUS, at least by my tastes. But alas, they had only a floor display that wasn't appropriate for listening. Beautiful, about $11K.

As you can tell, I was interested in speakers and, other than the Coincident (very large), I would seriously consider each for purchase.

I think you mean Coherent. Coincident wasn't there that I saw. And Isareal's amps are not tiny :D .

I too loved the look of the Kanta 2s. I did get a little listen. I just walked up and cranked the Naim Nova up. My impressions were very good for the space they were in.

I hope everyone that did go had a great time, even with the "shanty town" feel. It was a good show. I did prefer the last few venues, but it won't stop me from supporting the show in upcoming years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:16 pm 
Premium User

Tangram wrote:
.Top of the line SR-3's driven by a Unico hybrid amp and other Goldnote electronics was the highlight for me. These relatively small, light(!) speakers were superb playing music from a Goldnote streamer. REALLY impressive. Beautiful soundstage and imaging, very fast and rhythmic presentation. Just fantastic.

Audiovector makes a speaker with such great strengths that doing side by side comparisons with other popular products can be a real eye opener. The SR1 Avantgarde I owned previously had speed and resolution I've only heard on much pricer Raidho standmounts. Happy to see them out on display! A seriously passed over brand in North America.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 pm 

I wasn't thrilled with the show either. The makeshift rooms in the big arena were more suited to video displays (some of those were quite impressive though). I agree that the big PMCs were outstanding but one room that stood out for me was Hegel demonstrating their new H90 integrated with some Polish speakers called Pylon. Mid-powered amp (60 watts) had tremendous grip on the smaller standmounts and they sounded superb...and very inexpensive! Great sound real people can afford...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm 

The "shanty town" really disappointed me. The air was so polluted (bad air circulation). I couldn't stay longer than 30 sec because I had allergic to dust and kept sneezing all the time.

I really like the Audiovector speakers. Too bad they didn't display SR6 Avantgarde Arrete this year. After I heard them last year, I didn't hesitate to grab them after the show. For those who want to buy Audiovectors SR3/SR6 speakers, try to contact tri cell after the show. They may sell to you since those two models are not available to sell throughout Canada yet. The retail store only sells QR series but none of them sell SR series as of now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:55 pm 

Please lock this Negative Nelly thread now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 pm 

terryakhan wrote:

Because people voice respectful opinions you don't agree with?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:52 pm 

weisbe wrote:
terryakhan wrote:

Because people voice respectful opinions you don't agree with?

Because some feel constructive criticism has no place against the dream.

The photographs, I though were astonishing.

The verbal descriptions, maybe not so much. I went to TAVES1. Personal reasons kept me from the rest. Had nothing to do with cost or time.

So why not allow commentary to help institute improvements? We might deny the benefits of $$$$$$ cables? I would still like to see it evolve positively. Maybe I go tomorrow or next year. Maybe then I'm a big spender , times change.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 pm 

It certainly does not help TAVES, that it takes place one week after the Rocky Mountain audio fest (RMAF). A lot of the audio industry and audio press was at RMAF last week. There is no way those exhibitors and others can pack everything up, and rush off to do another show so quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 am 

They always seem to schedule this show at the same time as the Classic and Vintage Car auction. How insensitive.