Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TAVES Starts Today
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:27 am 

Got my ticket for Saturday - will hit the RV show too. See you there.

Post subject: Re: TAVES Starts Today
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 am 

Can’t make Taves this year but interested in what people think. Be sure to report back Banerjba. Is your son going with you or you flying solo?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Can’t make Taves this year but interested in what people think. Be sure to report back Banerjba. Is your son going with you or you flying solo?

Flying solo unfortunately. Junior is in university now. He was home for reading week for a couple of days and we were able to crack open the last Radiohead double LP together. But with mid terms now, no TAVES for him.

I will be there right at 10 am. I am a short, bald 50+ yo east indian dude with glasses (I know, a rare find near the airport!). I will be in tan pants and blue/green full sleeve t shirt. Say hi if you see me. I will be drooling over mini monitors, turntables and Nordost stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:56 am 

banerjba wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Flying solo unfortunately. Junior is in university now. He was home for reading week for a couple of days and we were able to crack open the last Radiohead double LP together. But with mid terms now, no TAVES for him.

I will be there right at 10 am. I am a short, bald 50+ yo east indian dude with glasses (I know, a rare find near the airport!). I will be in tan pants and blue/green full sleeve t shirt. Say hi if you see me. I will be drooling over mini monitors, turntables and Nordost stuff.

Babi great the your son is into this. What a great moment cracking open an LP together father and son! Not too many kids these days know what these things mean including my son.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 am 

Enjoy everyone, I've decided to pass on this year's TAVES as I just got a FedEx confirmation that my new Western Electric replica 845 tubes arrived today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am 
Premium User

Also skipping this year, really wanted to go and see the new bigger show (venue).

Would love to see pics posted from those who do attend!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am 

I'll be there near opening time on Saturday. Main mission is to find new music. I'll be wearing Mr. Acoustat's "Heaven on Earth" Black T shirt.

Thank you,

JBLman (& Acoustat man) :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm 

I’ll be there Saturday afternoon.

My daughters have been home for reading week and I need an escape. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 pm 
Premium User

banerjba wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Depending on how long you are there we may see each other. I am hoping to get there around noon. I'm easy to spot: middle-aged white guy with grey hair...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm 

Ok so there's gonna be a bunch of middle aged guys there, some brown, some bald, some grey....LOL.

I'm a middle aged bald guy with a beard presently. Try to find me!! LOL

Last edited by racecars on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:46 pm 

I'm not attending this years show as I realised when I heard the organizer in an interview last week on Montreals' CJAD radio talking about how TAVES is now an electronics/tech show. Audio is still represented but that part of the show is now sharing space with electric cars, drones, and other tech gear that I have zero interest in. I will be attending the Montreal show and maybe Rocky Mountain or Munich. To all those going, hope you have a great time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:54 pm 

It sucked. Save your time and money and don't go.
Meeting Frank at Coherent was by far the highlight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm 

I was there for several hours today.

It's VERY different from the last time I went, which was at the King Eddy. It's massively diluted now, with lots of other vendors, clearly to make the show bigger, and support a broader audience.

It's logical, but feels less special for a hardcore audio geek, like myself.

The rooms are typical acoustic nightmares. One vendor admitted to quickly shifting to their bookshelf model, as their floorsstanders were overwhelming the room.

Tons of analogue. If you like TT's, go!!

There's lots of Canadian content, which I think is great, including fascinating single driver size, 8 foot tall behemoths by Reul.

I was generally underwhelmed by every system's sound for one reason or another, but still really enjoyed hearing all kinds of different sounds and having conversations with lots of folks.

I was also surprised by the lack of accessories available. I'm sure very few people are there to drop 10's of g's on gear, on the day. But I'd have bought some interconnects, some still points, tubes, or something like that. Nothing available.

I'd also love to see a vintage gear booth. Why don't we pool resources for next year and do a CAM used gear booth? ;)

I bought a three-day pass, but won't be using it. If anyone wants it, swing by scotia pond tomorrow am around 10am where I'm playing hockey and get it for free.

PM me if interested.

RK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm 

I was there Friday afternoon. Picked up some nice vinyl. Show was better at the King Eddy. Damn.... there was a booth there selling house windows.... WTH? There were sound room as Garden sheds with padded moving blankets inside. Not impressed. I did enjoy the Focal and Bryston displays.

BTW.... I just walked in.... nobody asked me for money or a ticket... so.... I can't complain about the show that much.... free admission and parking.

Stevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm 

I was there Friday afternoon. Picked up some nice vinyl. Show was better at the King Eddy. Damn.... there was a booth there selling house windows.... WTH? There were sound rooms as Garden sheds with padded moving blankets inside. Not impressed. I did enjoy the Focal and Bryston displays.

BTW.... I just walked in.... nobody asked me for money or a ticket... so.... I can't complain about the show that much.... free admission and parking.

Stevo