Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tuner Display Issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm 

Hello Gang, I have been enjoying trying a few different tuners of late. One day, I will stop all the nonsense and acquire something like a vintage tube Sherwood 3000 and be done with it. But for now, it's quite fun trying some of the older cheap tuners. Some can surprise with their sound quality. One such tuner, purchased yesterday, is a 1980 Akai AT-K03. Very nice condition for $20 locally. There is some sort of magical synergy going on here with my mid/late 80's Sugden A28. I had quite an enjoyable listening session last night for a few hours, more so than just background. Definitely had me sitting up and paying attention. In any event, all was well until about an hour ago. The Akai is an analogue tuner with a digital display. Upon glancing up at the tuner, I noticed that the tuning numbers were fluctuating randomly, up/down, skipping, freezing, etc. But the station remained tuned. I could coax the display back to it's proper station number with the tuning knob, but it would soon start to go crazy again. Sometimes it would freeze on another number randomly, but again, the station would remain tuned. I ended up turning it off, and then on again after a minute, and it seems to have rectified the problem for now, but I suspect it will act up again anytime.

Is this a somewhat common problem with the older tuners with digital displays? I am so pleased with the sound in my system, that I am seriously considering having some work done to it, but only if the display issue would be an easy fix. If not, it wouldn't be worth it of course. Maybe it is just a simple component part to switch out?

Post subject: Re: Tuner Display Issue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 am 

That's a nice one, however, the AKAI AT VO4 is one of the best sounding AKAI tuner and they're cheap to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm 

Thanks Tube, yes, since I acquired the Akai, I've done some research on the Akai models, and the V04 comes up as a good one. I may keep and eye out for one too at some point. I've been in touch with a CAM member who is also a tech/contributor to the Tuner Info Center, and he has offered to fix up the K03 including the display fluctuation, a few mods/upgrades and a proper alignment (this guy is definitely the real mc'Coy, who has invested heavily in the equipment). Perhaps a different tuner would be more appropriate to invest in, however this little K03 was doing some wacky things with the Sugden synergy, imaging waayyy beyond the speaker separation, throwing choral vocals that were literally floating 4 feet above and well behind the speakers, etc. Certainly things that I've never heard any of my other tuners do before. Sometimes it was sounding a bit 2-dimensional, but if it had the right clean signal, it was pretty impressive with it's sonic feats. I've never thought of a tuner having much to do with synergy, but I've learned that it is as important as any other piece of equipment in the chain for matching. In any event, I'll report back after it returns from it's restoration!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm 

had the at-v04 in black. nice little dual mode tuner...digital looks and analog feel.

old review of one - http://www.anarc.org/wtfda/akai.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm 

it is probably a bad connection. look at the display from inside and if you can move the wire arnest that feed the display to see if it does it while moving the wires. it could also be a screw that act as a ground for that display circuit board.