Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:41 pm 

ive got 2 Cr3a Cassette Decks i seem to have to get them fixed every six months is there a cassette deck in there lineup thats more reliable and easy to maintain that sounds even better than Cr3a

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 pm 

I don't have a clue, but the Dragon is the sexiest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:53 pm 

Get your self a Revox B 215 and you will never think about buying another cassette deck.

I have had my share of Naks, including Dragon, CR 7, BX 300, non of these could touch, even remotely,
the performance of Revox.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:57 pm 

None of them are if you compare them to other competitors with the same price point. The ZX-7 is the most reliable of the NAK model, however, it does require speed adjustment as it goes out of whack after a while, the CR-7a is very good one, but the idler wheel doesn't last long. Don't buy the Dragon unless you have another one on hand for parts.

-- 11 Oct 2017 21:01 --

naimkid wrote:
Get your self a Revox B 215 and you will never think about buying another cassette deck.

I have had my share of Naks, including Dragon, CR 7, BX 300, non of these could touch, even remotely,
the performance of Revox.

Just a caution, if you have the Revox B-215 you had better recapped it before it's too late as the knowledgeable tech to work with these machines is far in between. They're getting extinct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm 

Hi,

If you want reliable - look for a Tandberg - all top loaders - built like tanks. Or, a Nagra R. to R. Audio jewelry.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The Tandberg 3014a, is probably the top deck out there, but it is a bit fragile, overall.

When they are working the are amazing. Discrete class A circuitry, polystyrene capacitors throughout, and so on. Maximum quality of components and maximum quality of circuit design..all in a cassette deck, of all places.

the sony 777 is no slouch either, but a bit old. Some of those older Sony decks had all premium non magnetic circuity, R-core transformer, the works. Even the low value tiny capacitors were all non magnetic polypropylene and polystyrene. Which is not done these days, until you get into the $7-8-10K price range of simply built gear. As in like ayre, boulder, you know, premium "we're not f'in around" gear.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ette_deck/

I'm not interested in nak decks. Only as an item I buy low and sell high on. :)

I opened one of those units up (777) and could not believe what I was looking at. Sony goes and does the the run silent run deep thing again... and makes another item at a premium level, a max-extreme unit..and nobody really knows or notices...

If I had a K-05, an Dragon, a 3014A and a 777, I'd sell the Dragon and the K-05 in a heartbeat,and keep the 777 and the 3014A.. as they are both stone cold real and neutral in their sonic abilities. The K-05 is stunning, gorgeous in fact, but the 777 and the 3014A are both clearly superior. IMO, when looking for best, most real, most perfected....The dragon is not in the running.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm 

I find they are very finicky and not the easiest to work on. Albeit they sound amazing and are worth the hassle in my opinion.

CR4 or bx300 has the direct drive transport. Maybe it's a little less prone to issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm 

I find the ZX Series of Nak decks are the most reliable.

tube54 wrote:
None of them are if you compare them to other competitors with the same price point. The ZX-7 is the most reliable of the NAK model, however, it does require speed adjustment as it goes out of whack after a while, the CR-7a is very good one, but the idler wheel doesn't last long. Don't buy the Dragon unless you have another one on hand for parts.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Owning a Dragon is like owning a British Sports car, a labour of love.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:07 pm 

My 680 has been rock solid and in my system longer than any other piece and sounds great . Initially bought it because I read it has the Dragon transport and heads but it is fully manual , no auto azimuth to fail and no auto reverse . I've never had to adjust it but maybe I'm not that critical . It has the looks too with the rack mounts and fluorescent meter , what ever floats your boat .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 pm 

xlreight wrote:
My 680 has been rock solid and in my system longer than any other piece and sounds great . Initially bought it because I read it has the Dragon transport and heads but it is fully manual , no auto azimuth to fail and no auto reverse . I've never had to adjust it but maybe I'm not that critical . It has the looks too with the rack mounts and fluorescent meter , what ever floats your boat .

It was the RX-505 that share the Dragon head's assembly except for the unidirectional auto-reverse mechanism.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm 

I have had many cassette decks in my stable in the past from top of the line model from Nak, Sony, Tandberg, Luxman, Pioneer, and Revox just to name a few. I opted to keep the Revox B-215 cassette deck as they are highly reliable due to its tape transport which is built on a heavy, die-cast aluminum chassis. Also to minimize wow-and-flutter, two quartz-crystal-controlled, direct-drive Hall-effect d.c. motors are used for the closed-loop, dual capstan drive. The second pair of direct-drive motors is used for reel spooling. And not only that it's very simple to use as all of the tape configuration are fully automatic including the tape alignment during recording. Soundwise it's very neutral which has a similar sound as its RTR siblings.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/revox-b215-240.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm 

I also owned REVOX B215 - solid transport, however, the sound was dull and lifeless - it was just there - nothing I could do to make it sing
sold it for $400.00 to a shop on Avenue road in the late 90s - it sat in his shop for months -then there was a for lease sign in the window

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:27 pm 

My bad , the 680 used the P8 head same as the 1000ZXL and the same second gen transport was used in the Dragon only modded with 2 motor direct drive instead of dual capstan belt . The 681ZX apparently had a different P9 playback head , although both the 680 and 681ZX had the half speed feature . I've never had any of those in my hands to confirm only info from service manuals . Still I think the 680 would be the simplest of the good Naks making it more reliable . The second gen transports in various forms apparently was used thru that whole period . Ps , bought my mint 680 for $200 which biases me a bit toward that model .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 pm 

alladione wrote:
I also owned REVOX B215 - solid transport, however, the sound was dull and lifeless - it was just there - nothing I could do to make it sing
sold it for $400.00 to a shop on Avenue road in the late 90s - it sat in his shop for months -then there was a for lease sign in the window

You should have kept it and you would have made a ton of money on it right now on eBay as they're selling them for an average price of around US$1,200, of course, depending on its condition. Their overall sound quality is totally dependent on the equipment being paired with it because of its neutral and natural sounding characteristics. To get the best out them you need to pair it with the best equipment.

BTW, I sent mine to a tech in California who was well known at Tapehead forum for restoring Revox B-215 decks. I paid a few pennies for it but hearing the improvement of the sound quality after the restoration to me that was priceless.

Last edited by tube54 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm 

I've had a few decks come and go by my hands. (revox, nak, teac, sony, etc)

I have been using a nak dragon deck for playback, and it's great. Aligns itself with every tape I stick on there. That makes me happy, as some of my tapes are made on different decks with different alignments with various dolby systems.

I had a revox 212. Nice deck, built like a beast. No belts, which is a plus. But they will need recapping, and the leaf switches need to be spotless in order for it to work perfectly.

Sony has some really nice decks (I'm playing with a 730ES at the moment) Can be tempermental if you don't keep those damn pinch rollers clean.

I have a soft spot for teac decks. Easy to work on, most issues relate to the CAM belt, and perhaps a capstan belt. They tend to have a nice warm sound. (the V series does anyway)

One thing I have learned through these decks and almost ALL decks in general is that they become buggy if left in a closet. You have to use them and use them often. They don't react well sitting still. The belts tend to dry up. :(

To be honest, I would try and fix up the CR-3a. Is it the idler tire that went south? If it is, try and see if you can get the geared idler setup, as it will be the last time you will. :) They are easy decks to work on as well. IF your doing the cassette hobby, it's in your best interest to get into the repair stuff, unless you have a good shop that has reasonable rates.