Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh No I broke my Benz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm 

As the heading says I did the ultimate mistake in my music room. You all know about the broken stylus scenario. In this case the expensive cantilever/stylus not only broke off of my Glider but also stuck in my thumb. Anyways time for a new one. I loved the benz and can take advantage of their exchange program or look elsewhere. I am considering an Ortofon Komptrapunkt C which is lightly used on CAM from a dealer as well. I cannot audition it so wondering if any members have heard it. I am using a tube system and listen to Mark Knopfler to Bruce Cockburn and everything in between. Open to suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:39 pm 
Premium User

When I broke mine a few years ago, I took advantage of the trade in. Got a decent discount on the new cartridge, and the new one had the improved stylus (Microridge) which tracks sibilance much better. I really like Gliders, and think those as well as the Ace are amazing cartridges at their price points.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 am 
Premium User

The Kontrapunkt C is the Fritz Geiger version of the A. Aluminum cantilever on both. I sold many Kon. A's back in the day when I used to be an Ortofon dealer. Excellent cartridges with fantastic separation and great tonal balance. The C should easily outperform the Glider. Buy with confidence from the dealer that has the C listed. He is excellent and very trustworthy. The Kon. C is 4g heavier than the Glider and less compliant. What version of the Glider do you have and what arm are you planning to mount it on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 am 

I broke my Dodge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 am 

The Hana SL is very nice for half the price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 am 

The Glider is the original medium output model from the mid 90s. I bought it only recently from a friend who bought it New and used it sparingly on a second arm on his Nottingham table. It has been mounted on a new Mitchell Technoarm A which is a highly modified Rega RB250. I liked the slightly warm sound of the Glider as well as the quietness and deep soundstage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm 

canisbay wrote:
As the heading says I did the ultimate mistake in my music room. You all know about the broken stylus scenario. In this case the expensive cantilever/stylus not only broke off of my Glider but also stuck in my thumb. Anyways time for a new one. I loved the benz and can take advantage of their exchange program or look elsewhere. I am considering an Ortofon Komptrapunkt C which is lightly used on CAM from a dealer as well. I cannot audition it so wondering if any members have heard it. I am using a tube system and listen to Mark Knopfler to Bruce Cockburn and everything in between. Open to suggestions

I once had a Kontrapunct B, and have a Glider H2 and 2 other Benzes. I'm not sure the term warm can be applied to any Ortofon. If warm is what you like, stay with the Glider....have Benz retip it or get another.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:13 pm 

Soundsmith down in the States does excellent rebuilds. I have used their rebuild service and am very pleased. They only ship back through the USPS so you don't get dinged with outrageous ups, FedEx fee's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm 

@OP, sorry to hear of your accident.

I have had Benz retip a cart. It took a long time, partly because the package was lost in the mail for a while, on the return trip. Apart from that, IIRC to get the retip I had to go through a dealer, who sent the cart to the distributor, and the distributor normally waited until they had a few ready to ship, rather than sending them one by one. They may be doing things differently now, I don't know.

Soundsmith later retipped two carts for me. They were great with communications. There was a wait because of a backlog of work, but when my turn came things went quite fast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm 

So what comes between Bruce Cockburn and Mark Knopfler?