Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shipping large speakers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:04 am 

I'm trying to get a pair of speakers from Edmonton to Toronto area and was wondering what companies I should or should not use. I know packaging is very important but some companies seem more prone to "mistakes" . Should I try and find a freight company or is it safe enough to use Fed-Ex/UPS/Purolator?
The speakers are 65lbs each and I'd like them in one piece.
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:14 am 

I had big speakers shipped from Montreal to Stratford ,PEI using Fedex,they arrived in immaculate condition.

I find the extra cost means nothing if it means less stops and less handling.

For this distance,I would suggest a courier like fedex, .

It will give you peace of mind and intact speakers

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am 

I use all sorts of shipping companies every single week. For me, Purolator has been the one with a high damage rate; might just be luck of the draw. For large freight I use Manitoulin. Might be worth checking. One thing about Manitoulin if you set up an account, or at least get a rate quote before shipping, they give a better price than simply calling for a pickup. Nice thing about shipping freight is you can strap the speakers down to a pallet and they aren't going to be tossed around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 am 

I was always curious about this as well. I had a notion that if they were in original boxes, it would be ideal, with the packing foams intact and such. But, then again, who knows what could happen once it leaves your hands!

I would imagine FedEx to be one of the better ones. And Purolator has been the bane of my existence when receiving items. I'd never choose them if it were up to me. Maybe they have a better reputation elsewhere, but on the island... Man, they are not open very late (if you are at work until 5 you aren't going to get your package easily) and I've always been dinged high rates for international orders.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 am 

Look out for the "dimensional weight" clause. Nearly doubled the cost of shipping for a pair of speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 am 
Premium User

Shipping speakers east I've had the most success with FedEx.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 am 

I have shipped large reel to reel tape machines from Calgary to Toronto and other large items. I found Day and Ross to be great. Especially if you an drop off the thier shipping location. You need to set up an account and get a rate quote prior to shipping. You get a better price. One thing about frieght transport is that you cannot really get Insurance. You need to arrange that through a private insurer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am 

Shipped a 130 pound amp from Calgary to here with:

http://www.uship.com/ca/

Excellent service and the driver even brought it into the house. :D

Generally LTL rates for non-corporate customers are prohibitive. With uShip you can catch a truck that just wants to fill some dead space. Based on what I paid, it should be under $100.00 to ship the speakers.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 am 

We ship cellos and string basses (in a coffin-sized carton) all the time by FedEx Ground. Rarely have any issues, and these instruments are more sensitive and difficult to pack than speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am 

L-Man wrote:
We ship cellos and string basses (in a coffin-sized carton) all the time by FedEx Ground. Rarely have any issues, and these instruments are more sensitive and difficult to pack than speakers.

In my business I ship large (and heavy) items as well as small and delicate ones. I have tried all the carriers. Day and Ross have always treated my shipments with care. Their pricing is reasonable as well.

For speakers you will not find a better price than using Fedex Ground shipping. They are much less than regular couriers, are geared for larger items and offer all the tracking and insurance you will need.

Here is your challenge; you MUST have these speakers packed at least in foam and double-layered in cardboard. I have shipped a number of items like this and the best way is to go to your building supply store and buy a sheet (or two if needed) of 1 inch thick styrofoam. Build a "box" around the speaker in the foam, then place in boxes. This will prevent puncture damage and corner damage to the speakers. It cannot prevent damage that may occur if the packages are dropped...there is no way to guard against this.....but you will (at least) stand a chance of minimal damage with the styrofoam trick. Get the seller to do this, wrap the foam in the red "Tuck Tape" also available at the building supply store. This tape is strong and very sticky.

I just had a nice Sansui TU-999 shipped to me from Iowa in this manner and the packaging had been dropped on its corner; absolutely zero damage to the tuner. I paid the seller the costs of the material for this "extra" effort and was glad I did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am 

I've shipped 3 pairs of large speakers all using freight companies on pallets. Tannoy Monitors to Ontario, Technics SBE200 to Nova Scotia and Energy 22 Ref Conns to Saskatchewan...all made the trip safely. I had another pair of 22 Ref Conns shipped to me from Quebec via Purolator Courier in 2 separate boxes and one of them ended up with a broken base plate. Luckily, nothing else got damaged and even better cost and shipping got covered with insurance, so I essentially ended up getting them for free.
Main thing is to ensure you overpack and make sure to write on the outside packaging to not stack. Insulation foam sheets from Home Depot are great for packing, and if you have access to pallet wrap, wrap the s*#t out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 am 

Fed Ex ground.
Have the buyer pick them up from the ground terminal.
In this case, there is one in Mississauga.

Many discussions have occurred on CAM concerning UPS.
The overwhelming consensus is that UPS will not cover for insurance claims,
and that they state the item was not packed to their specifications.

As with shipping any audio device, with any courier,
make sure the corners are well protected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I use a freight broker (Econofast), they normally use Canadian Freightways. I find shipping items strapped on a skid eliminate a lot of risk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 pm 

Hi
I ship delicate aircraft parts all over the world and at the end of the day it comes down to luck of the draw and how well you pack things. I’ve had delicate gyros show up crushed to bits and aircraft engines that have been dropped. One thing I will say is don’t ship anything precious in the weeks before Christmas! It’s the same number of people trying to ship 10 times the stuff and they take their frustration out on anything heavy or awkward...
As far as Audio gear goes I sent a well packed pair of tannoys to Calgary from Ottawa and guess what...they hit the box with a fork lift and took out the corner. And try getting insurance to pay! The wanted all kinds of quotes for my 1974 tannoys and I had to ship them somewhere with the original packaging for “assessment”. Not a chance I would trust them again...so I ate the loss and repaired them myself.
Manatoulin is a good option for freight in Canada. It should be boxed well and strapped to a pallet so they can use a forklift. I really think most damage occurs when they handle items by hand...especially when they are near the limit for weight. Fragile stickers don’t help at all...in fact they may work against you.
Finally, if you ship two speakers in separate boxes, insure each box to the value of the pair. It’s really hard to replace one out of production Tannoy speaker worth 600 when the pair is valued at 1200. Also make sure the carriers insurance covers antiques (if in fact they are out of production). The whole system is geared toward amazon and such...”if we break it we will just send another”. Not easy to do when dealing with rare items. Insurance values don’t make anyone more careful...in fact they likely just feel less guilty when the wreck your stuff..cuz it’s insured right?
Plywood box on a pallet...that’s your best chance for larger, heavier items.
Good luck!
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm 

I received a pair of Vandersteen 2CEsig's from Nova Scotia, shipped to me in Prince George, BC, by FedEx and they arrived just fine.