Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

I just completed an A/B comparison of an Altec model 19 and a 1956 Electrovoice Regency. Both are awesome speakers, but the Altec is not even in the same league as the EV. The Altec is crystal clear, but the EV is just as clear, but with way more bass and musicality. The Altec sounds sterile in comparison. The Altec did come alive more when given more power, as the EV is more efficient.

If anyone has an EV Regency for sale with the 15w woofer, T25 and T35 drivers, I will trade a mint pair of Altec model 19'S for a single speaker, in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:39 am 

I was using 2 pairs of EV Interface C before switching to Altec Lansing 19.
I tried to buy a pair of EV Interface D from a local resident
He said maybe then no.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 am 

Go figure. Came to same conclusion between Altec valencia, Altec A5 altec 604 8g versus a rather unknown Electrovoice model EV six . All driven by same monoblock 845 tube amps
Ok the sixes have bigger 18"woofers and separate 8" paper cone low mid range driver in its own inner cabinet plus upper mid horn and tweeter horn.
You will be seduced by these all day long and never want to stop listening.With Altecs after a certain time, you start picking at minor irritants such as lack of bass weight and colored mids that eventually become magnified and annoying.
Then you jump on the Altec crossover modification merry go round wich never stops.
Been there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:38 am 

I admire anyone who can A/B speakers in the 100lb range. :-)

I thought people were critical of the T35, and there are supposed to be modern variants that far out perform it.

I have owned a lot of speakers and have come back to HE simply because I think it is the most fun. Having said that, I think every speaker has a "sound" and you have to figure out your bias (I even like Heresy's if placed properly).

Curious what equipment you ran it with, and how you placed them in your room. I always liked the cabinets, but think they need room boundary loading.

Also for the insane prices they get used these days (*if* you can find them) I expect you can build superior clones for around the same money, though have not done the math. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am 

They are 143 lbs each, to be exact lol. Could you explain "room boundary loading"?

I had them set up in my 24 x 30 garage, with a BGW 250B amp. I placed the Altec and EV side by side, switching back and forth in mono. Maybe I could get more bass out of them, if placed in a corner. But since there was such a disparity in musicality and smoothness, I don't think fine tuning their placement would make them sound better than the EV's. I am waiting for new tubes to arrive for my amp, and am hoping the Altecs will like it better.

Maybe it is a case of the EV's being a phenominal speaker (T-35 sounds fine to me), rather than the Altec being not that great.

-- 09 Oct 2017 17:34 --

phaseshift wrote:
Go figure. Came to same conclusion between Altec valencia, Altec A5 altec 604 8g versus a rather unknown Electrovoice model EV six . All driven by same monoblock 845 tube amps
Ok the sixes have bigger 18"woofers and separate 8" paper cone low mid range driver in its own inner cabinet plus upper mid horn and tweeter horn.
You will be seduced by these all day long and never want to stop listening.With Altecs after a certain time, you start picking at minor irritants such as lack of bass weight and colored mids that eventually become magnified and annoying.
Then you jump on the Altec crossover modification merry go round wich never stops.
Been there.

Yes, that is exactly how I feel. I haven't done any long term listening with them yet, but I suspect they would indeed be annoying. May I assume that crossover mods won't make an appreciable difference?

The bass did improve with more power, but darn, it was at a volume such that you would have to have them in an auditorium, rather than a living room, to be able to listen to them at a comfortable level.

Do you think we are being overly critical of the Altecs, because the EV's are just so good?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am 

I just realized that the Altecs came with a piece of dampening foam that went around the horns. The foam is missing on mine. Maybe replacing it will improve the sound / smoothness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 am 

vintagestereos wrote:
They are 143 lbs each, to be exact lol. Could you explain "room boundary loading"?

Response changes a lot as you get near a corner and the wall (i.e. a room boundary). A lot of vintage designs depended on this IMHO (versus the modern approach of two speakers sitting in an open field :-) ).

vintagestereos wrote:
I had them set up in my 24 x 30 garage, with a BGW 250B amp. I placed the Altec and EV side by side, switching back and forth in mono. Maybe I could get more bass out of them, if placed in a corner. But since there was such a disparity in musicality and smoothness, I don't think fine tuning their placement would make them sound better than the EV's. I am waiting for new tubes to arrive for my amp, and am hoping the Altecs will like it better.

In addition to the foam, I do think you should measure what you are hearing. It can often be surprising. I am also a big believer in EQ to adapt to your ears/room.

vintagestereos wrote:
Maybe it is a case of the EV's being a phenominal speaker (T-35 sounds fine to me), rather than the Altec being not that great.

Could be, and there is no doubt the Altecs are great. Part of the battle with anything vintage item is making sure it is at operational specs. The Altec *should* be giving you more HF extension but we all like what we like. Is it at all possible to post pics? Understand any reluctance not to, but to see both in the same place is a real rarity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm 

I kind of gave the Altecs a bad rap in my previous posts, so how about I offer them some redemption....

I have had them for a few days now, and have had a chance to try them out a little further. I hooked them up to the big brother of the BGW 250B - the 500D. These speakers are absolute monsters - even though they are very efficient, the extra power really brought them alive - totally different speaker. I tamed down the horns, which also made the bass more noticeable. Well, not just more noticeable - they will shake the ground and everything standing on it within a mile radius!

My conclusion is that the more power you give them, the better they sound. It is kind of hard to explain. My Magnepans need power just to be listenable. The Altecs are plenty loud, but just sound so much better when they are opened up. The problem is that in most home environments, they just get so loud that you can't open them up. But put them in a large room (like my 24 x 30 garage) and they really shine. I guess that is why the EV's are different - made 25 years earlier for lower powered tube gear.

If you have a huge room, buy the Altecs and never look back. If not, don't spend the money on them because they will never reach their true potential.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 am 

Larry,

I'll give those 19's a good home. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll like them more than the La Scala in my room right now ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 am 

Darn you guys....

Having owned the Altec 17s and 19s and with nothing but praise for both I'll be keeping an eye open for these EVs.

Side note...the 19s when I acquired did not have the damping foam around the horn. Reproductions were ordered and they did help imo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 am 

petersch wrote:

I got mine as I determined Klipschorns would not work in my room (my first speakers were horns, and decided to come full circle).

I think you will prefer them to La Scalas (stock anyway, I have not heard the super modified ones).

A huge incentive for me is having speakers where I can get replacement parts. Both Klipsch and Altec are very good for this, and are not crazy expensive.

-- 11 Oct 2017 14:38 --

vintagestereos wrote:
If you have a huge room, buy the Altecs and never look back. If not, don't spend the money on them because they will never reach their true potential.

Mine work very well in a medium treated room with eq. I think the garage may have a lot to do with it (even if you have one of those beautiful insulated and heated garages I envy :-).

They do seem to like power though. I have run mine with 4w through 120w amps. It is the only speaker I have had that did not choke with the 4w one. I suspect to swing those wide peaks, it just helps having some muscle behind it.

I highly recommend them with an HK Citation II or V. Very nice match. Hard to believe 40-50 year old hi-fi can sound so damn good.

Would love to hear those EVs one day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 am 

petersch wrote:
Larry,

I'll give those 19's a good home. :mrgreen:

Let's see how they sound with my refurbished MP amp first, Peter lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 pm 

I have never had the EV however I have had many Altecs over the years inc model 19 and a-7 . If you upgrade the wire inside the speaker and make sure your crossover is up to spec the Altec horn speaker can sound fantastic. They love a high quality tube amp with good tubes. Personally i think the model 17 Altecs beat all of the mentioned speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 pm 

I have never had the EV however I have had many Altecs over the years inc model 19 and a-7 . If you upgrade the wire inside the speaker and make sure your crossover is up to spec the Altec horn speaker can sound fantastic. They love a high quality tube amp with good tubes. Personally i think the model 17 Altecs beat all of the mentioned speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 pm 

Thanks for the helpful info. But right now I could cry - blew one of the woofers in the 19's. I had them pretty loud (half volume with a 200 watt amp). I only had them turned up that loud for about 30 seconds.

I replaced it with a 420 Bi-flex woofer. Still sounds nice, but not quite the bass as the original. So, if anyone knows where to source a single 416-8B woofer. it would be greatly appreciated.