Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Delrin platter and a mat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:57 pm 

Hello, just finished a DIY turntable complete with a Mitchell tonearm and bearing and a delrin/Aluminum platter. I wonder about using a mat on the platter. I have a VTA adjuster on the Mitchell. The reason I am asking is that the custom machine shop spindle causes some records to slightly hover over the platter . I cannot have the spindle changed and use a clamp and or a record weight. There is a Acromat available on CAM right now or would a cork etc work as well on the delrin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 pm 

Can i ask why your spindle and delrin platter dont work together and cause this problem?
Aside from that i think that use of any mat on top of the delrin platter just defeats the use of the delrin material which is designed to be used bareback with vinyl.
You can use a mat but you won't get the benefit of the delrin.

Last edited by Chipmunk1957 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm 

Its a bit of a story but basically I have sandwiched an aluminum platter on the bottom to a delrin on top. I am using a Mitchell bearing which has a spindle . To extend that spindle to allow for the extra inch of delrin I had another spindle made that goes over the original spindle . The gentleman who made that spindle for free erred a little in that the shoulder around the spindle is slightly high. On the occasional record that may be slightly convex the record sits high on that shoulder. Not sure if that makes sense but I am very happy with the sound of the table with a Benz Glider cartridge. I could post a picture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:21 pm 

canisbay wrote:
Its a bit of a story but basically I have sandwiched an aluminum platter on the bottom to a delrin on top. I am using a Mitchell bearing which has a spindle . To extend that spindle to allow for the extra inch of delrin I had another spindle made that goes over the original spindle . The gentleman who made that spindle for free erred a little in that the shoulder around the spindle is slightly high. On the occasional record that may be slightly convex the record sits high on that shoulder. Not sure if that makes sense but I am very happy with the sound of the table with a Benz Glider cartridge. I could post a picture.

I don't think you heard the answer; adding any material on top of the delrin will negate its benefits. My suggestion is you have the spindle shoulder removed. Then you will get the full value of your efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 pm 

I guess it might help if you did post some pics of your deck.
Myself and others may be able to offer better suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm 

canisbay wrote:

Just get a record clamp. The high shoulder will help to press the LP against the platter as it deforms. Just like Oracle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm 

Crude drawing but this is my understanding (OP correct if I am wrong). The shoulder is of height that it prevents some records to sit flat on to the platter. If this is the case I’d agree with brownslane and have the shoulder removed.

Edit - updated picture, not sure why the other was not displaying.

Attachments:
Spindle.jpg
Spindle.jpg [ 25.52 KiB | Viewed 503 times ]

Last edited by sthomas1049 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm 

Grind it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:15 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Grind it. :lol:

Baby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:00 am 

If it is only some records then slightly enlarge the record`s hole with a round file.

I have a George Harrison record with the hole off centre.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:29 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

https://youtu.be/Izr-5yitrb0

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 am 

Bumpy wrote:
canisbay wrote:

Just get a record clamp. The high shoulder will help to press the LP against the platter as it deforms. Just like Oracle.
This was my thought as well, but it depends on the height and width of the shoulder. In extreme cases it could crack the label of the clamp were to be tightened to the extreme....unlikely though. I'd say if the shoulder is less than 1mm high by less than 25mm wide it might work. A Michell clamp should work with these dims.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 am 

If I read the drawing correctly the "shoulder" is too high. Simply machine it. Or send it to me and I will machine it for you. I have a full machine shop. :P Seriously.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 pm 

Thanks everyone for your advice. I didn't,t think that a mat on the Delrin was a good idea. Will consider the other options. I have attached a couple photos of the new table.

Attachments:
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG [ 410.97 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]
IMG_2962.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG [ 301.21 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG [ 232.63 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:44 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Looks like it is too short for a clamp, so grinding/sanding it is.

Delrin ain't cheap, either. when you look on fleabay for a + 12.5" x 12.5" x +1" chunk, that's when you find out how expensive Delrin is.