Tannoy_12G_IMG_0623.jpg [ 114.31 KiB | Viewed 854 times ]
Attachment:
Tannoy_12G_Photo 005.jpg
Tannoy_12G_Photo 005.jpg [ 240.16 KiB | Viewed 854 times ]
Attachment:
Tannoy_12G_Photo 001.jpg
Tannoy_12G_Photo 001.jpg [ 235.78 KiB | Viewed 854 times ]
[attachment=0]Tannoy_12G_Photo 001.jpg/attachment]Well gentlemen and ladies,

My long awaited Tannoys have finally arrived after their West to East cross-country trek. At 75 lbs. each, these big Walnut cabinets were an armful, even for my 6' frame, to hoist up a mere 22" from the floor. The tough part was over in short order, once I figured out that the carpet runner they were sitting on acted like a greased skid when I pulled it along the length of my listening room. Carrying these beefy cabinets was not on my hit parade at 17:00 after a long day. Connecting the Left and Right was a snap, thanks to to the spring loaded push connectors on the rear of each speaker enclosure. Try as I might, I can't use anything thicker than 16-gauge speaker wires. Ordinary Home Hardware lamp wire is ideal for measuring out any perfect length from speaker to amplifier.

I haven't had enough listening time to properly assess and comment intelligently on the performance of these Tannoys. I leave that for another day. (A pictorial of the setup above)

Robertson Audio Sixty Ten amplifier (200W/channel)
Robertson Audio Twenty/Twenty MM/MC pre-amplifier
Muisical Fidelity X-LP/X-PSU MM/MC phono pre-amplifier
VPI HW-19 Mk IV - Sumiko Blue Point MC cartridge (high output)
Tannoy 12" Gold Monitors in solid Walnut cabinets

Back up amplification:
Sansui AU-717 mated to Sansui TU-717

My Tannoys will be dedicated to vinyl playback only. The first notes to flow through them today were performed on The Cat by Jimmy Smith (1964) My very first vinyl LP purchase, still in Excellent condition.

That's a wrap until next time....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm 

Those look really sweet, just wondering why you use the MF phono amp? I would expect the Robertson to be significantly better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:50 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Those look really sweet, just wondering why you use the MF phono amp? I would expect the Robertson to be significantly better.

Parts baby Parts! The RA 20/20 has an excellent MC phono stage, HOWEVER, after 32 years, there are no longer any parts available in Singapore to repair it.

The Musical Fidelity phono pre-amp was a total surprise, a very pleasant one! It performs seamlessly between the VPI and the RA 20/20 pre-amp. Those Tannoys make me feel as if I'm in Massey Hall...

Madcap's new address: Seventh Heaven, Cloud Number Nine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:36 am 

Look forward to your review. Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:21 am 

Your speakers look great. Give your backup amplification a try...you may be surprised at the results.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:34 am 

What I am about to show and discuss now will make you Purists shake your heads in a show of distaste. Space has become a premium commodity in my listening area. I recall how enthused I was when I assembled my first Advent stack. The arrangement did offer an improvement in the depth of the Bass while leaving the highs untouched.

Not to be outdone by an American speaker, I scoured the Eastern half of the country in search of Ditton 15s. Luckily that Celestion model had been a huge success selling more units than any other competitor of the era (1969 - 1973). Their high efficiency made them ideal for a stack. Surprising to me was that the improvement was marginal.

Next came my faves of all the Dittons: the mighty 44. Sounds like an old American Wild West Colt n'est-ce-pas? The Ditton 44s aren't as plentiful today as they once were. I attribute this to the shrinking area of all new condos, apartments and even some single family homes. I was most impressed by the twin Ditton 44s stacked top to bottom. This is where the HF-2000 tweeter really did shine, likely because it was never pushed to its limits and blow a gasket. The Ditton 44 stacks came and went as my listening tastes changed over the years. There is now only one pair of 44s in my stable of Dittons.

Where am I going with all of this trivia about stacks? As an experiment, I have assembled up a new stack: Tannoy 12" Gold Monitors mated to the Celestion Ditton 44. Thus far, the results have been favourable but incomplete, as my listening has been limited to the "Quiet Times" of the building. With dawn about to break, that is a thing of the past. I leave you now with the pictorial.

Attachments:
G_Ditton_TAnnoy_IMG_0628.jpg
G_Ditton_TAnnoy_IMG_0628.jpg [ 110.09 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]
D_TAnnoy_Ditton_IMG_0631.jpg
D_TAnnoy_Ditton_IMG_0631.jpg [ 146.02 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]
Tannoy and Ditton 44 mod.jpg
Tannoy and Ditton 44 mod.jpg [ 167.08 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 am 

Larry777 wrote:
Your speakers look great. Give your backup amplification a try...you may be surprised at the results.

Larry777, The Sansui was the first amplifier that I used. The sheer brute power of my Robertson Audio 200W/channel monster made me fear for the Tannoys. The Sansui AU-717 with its rated 85W/channel seemed more civilized as an initial shot of power to those 12" drivers. You guessed it: the Sansui had more than enough reserve power to easlly drive the big Tannoys, and very smoothly at that. There was no pronounced weakness in the full range of frequencies. Like being wrapped in a warm blanket kind of smooth.

The sources were a Pioneer PD-5010 CD player with Axis Bold as Love by Jimi Hendrix, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys by Traffic followed by Tumbleweed Connection by Elton John. Last but not least: The Cat by Jimmy Smith. The Tannoys really shone on this last album. Jimmy Smith on that Hammond B-3 can challenge most speakers that I have tested with that particular CD or vinyl album as well. Not the Tannoys, they loved stretching their limits much like a fast and furious race horse.

Needing a break, the Sansui TU-717 was tuned to 91.1 JazzFM to provide the background notes for the next hour or so. Madcap really needed some nutrients by this time of the evening.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 am 

I suggest you change the rear tannoy connectors to banana plugs and upgrade your speaker wiring . This will show a big improvement in the lower end and overall sound. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:54 am 

Congratulations Sir,they look terrific,I hope you have many years of enjoyment with them

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am 

alboettcher wrote:
I suggest you change the rear tannoy connectors to banana plugs and upgrade your speaker wiring . This will show a big improvement in the lower end and overall sound. Enjoy.

alboettcher, I actually found the opposite. The Tannoys push out plenty of Bass. The Ditton 44s are the heroes here. That HF-2000 tweeter reaches highs that the human ear can't pick up. Call it vibration or what have you, but those tweeters make all the difference in the world.

What I didn't mention is that I use BOTH the Robertson Audio amp and the Sansui AU-717 to drive the speakers. The Sansui AU-717 drives the Ditton 44s and the RA amplifier pushes the Tannoys. I have the added luxury of owning two (2) Sansui TU-717 tuners to feed both preamps on both systems simultaneously. I'm positive that the RA amplifier feeds the Tannoys the bottom end they just lap up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 am 

Those look like Onken cabinets, nice.

I'd suggest trying a good modern tube amp on the Tannoys. You might like it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 am 

Sarchi wrote:
Those look like Onken cabinets, nice.

I'd suggest trying a good modern tube amp on the Tannoys. You might like it.

Sharp eye there Sarchi! They are indeed Onken or based on that design. The former owner had the cabinets custom built. I would venture into the world of tube or Valve amps if I hadn't destroyed my budget with the purchase of not only these Tannoys but a Sansui AU-717 TU-717 combo from the USA AND a Pioneer PD-5010 CD player, all within a 7 day period!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm 

Listening is of course the only test that counts, but using the Tannoys plus the Dittons doesn't make sense to me.

By doing so you destroy what Tannoys were designed for: to create a single point source for all frequencies.

Now you've got the Tannoys as a point source, plus two or three different sources (the drivers in the Dittons) reproducing the same frequencies.

It's your gear and you're the listener and that's what counts in the end, but you definitely won't be hearing what Ronald Rackham (chief designer for the Monitor Golds) wanted you to hear.

Tannoy also recommends, for passive biamplification, identical amplifiers. . .

Just sayin'. . .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:14 am 

dr.joe wrote:
Listening is of course the only test that counts, but using the Tannoys plus the Dittons doesn't make sense to me.

By doing so you destroy what Tannoys were designed for: to create a single point source for all frequencies.

Now you've got the Tannoys as a point source, plus two or three different sources (the drivers in the Dittons) reproducing the same frequencies.

It's your gear and you're the listener and that's what counts in the end, but you definitely won't be hearing what Ronald Rackham (chief designer for the Monitor Golds) wanted you to hear.

Tannoy also recommends, for passive biamplification, identical amplifiers. . .

Just sayin'. . .

Hey dr.joe,
You skimmed over or chose to ignore what I wrote about the experimental mating of Celestion and Tannoy. This quad of speakers is an experiment, a test, a trial, a challenge, if you will. My hearing has not been damaged by attending countless rock concerts or rocket powered drag races. I can discern the nuances of the Tannoy system of single point sourcing.

The only sources that can be heard simultaneously through Tannoys and Celestions are my Sansui TU-717 tuners. FM transmissions offer little challenge to any of these speakers. My Robertson is designed to drive only one pair of speakers. Until recently, my Ohm Walsh 4 were the only speakers that were connected to the big Robertson. The other speakers (all Dittons) are efficient enough to be driven by far less power than what the 400W RA amp provides.

For a period of 8 years, I was able to drive 3 pairs of Celestion Dittons (44, 15XR and 15) simultaneously, thanks to a Sony STR-7800SD receiver (125W/channel). That big boy is now living in Edmonton as of mid-September 2017.

I am in a state of devolution now. One can use only so much equipment at any one time. My goal here is to have 2 full systems: Robertson Audio power and the Sansui combo. Naturally the Tannoys will benefit from the considerable reserve power of the former system. I imagine that the Sansui will be my "daily driver".

Bear in mind that the Tannoys will be the only speakers that will be used for vinyl playback and a Sansui TU-717 tuner. CD players, tuners and cassette tape decks will be handled by the Sanui and the two remaining pairs of Celestion Dittons (44 and 15). At the end of all this, I will have 2 separate and distinct stereo systems. Not having owned a television set since 1975 has saved me untold amounts of cash by not chasing after all the garbage that is available to the home theatre crowd.

C'est tout mes amis....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 am 

OK I understand, it's an either or thing. I must admit I initially thought the same as Dr. Joe. Those cabinets look beautiful, they remind me of the pair of Sterlings I had. Those had the same style of slot ports that you could adjust by sliding a piece up and down. If I were you and I were looking to take things a step further I would build a premium set of crossovers. Keep your original ones in tact for resale value but build another set with better quality caps, resistors and inductors.
And also as sarchi said Tannoys really love tube amplification. I don't agree that it needs to be a modern tube amp, just a good one. My preference was for 845 single-ended.
But I'm sure they sound great just the way you have them set up so above all else just enjoy!