Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:07 pm 

It should have been so simple. I noticed today that my anti-virus was about to expire, in one day to be exact.
So I searched around and found an anti-virus, for $12.99.
It was McAfee Anti-Virus Plus. The exact same anti virus that was about to expire.
I fill in the blanks and soon the anti-virus is in my mail box.
I follow the steps, click this, restart that and nothing. It tells me I still only have one day left.
That was about 10:00 this morning.
It's now almost 10:00 PM and I'm no closer to getting the heartless bastard to work.
Worse I don't have a clue where or why it won't work.
So tomorrow, I'm going to take it to a friendly (I hope) neighbourhood computer store, confess my idiocy and get them to install protection.
I was convinced that I could do this. Hell, I've done it before with no problems.
I'm not totally incompetent, I set up a buddy's Fiio and converted a bunch of files to FLAC for him. Not a bother at all.
But a lousy anti-virus program? :evil:
I had thought of of taking a basic computer skills course but I hear they frown on the use of "colourful" language.
Trust me, my language has been VERY colourful today.
As I'm doing this I'm listening to a Linda Ronstadt Anthology . Very relaxing. The urge to beat my laptop to death is slowly fading.
How's your day been? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 pm 
Premium User

Did you uninstall the existing program before installing the new program?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 pm 

McAfee is nasty don't feel bad. Bad experiences with it. It installs like a worm. Very heard to remove. I have witnessed it playing games with performance on a student's laptop until it was renewed. There are better choices!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:54 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Did you uninstall the existing program before installing the new program?

Yep.

-- 06 Oct 2017 02:56 --

prism wrote:
McAfee is nasty don't feel bad. Bad experiences with it. It installs like a worm. Very heard to remove. I have witnessed it playing games with performance on a student's laptop until it was renewed. There are better choices!

I was shopping by price. An earlier version was on the computer so I figured it was good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 pm 

I have an HP laptop and an Asus All-in-One, both on Windows 7, and also an older, cable connected, Sony EReader. I use Norton for security in both computers and 2 different tune up programs. Any time I connected the EReader to the HP laptop, the laptop would completely crash and it had to be restarted and rebooted. Eventually I could get them to mate up and work, but it was a long, laborious, and uncertain process. The EReader worked fine with the Asus.
The HP laptop had come with McAfee installed. I was not using McAfee and it expired, but it kept sending me messages which I got tired of reading. So eventually I uninstalled the McAfee completely. With McAfee gone, the EReader connects to the HP laptop seamlessly.
Someone, who knows more about software than I do, might be able to explain this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 pm 

A corporate computer tech once told me mcAffee is the biggest virus in a computer when loaded.
There are better, and everyone has their favorite.
TrendMicro and Malwarebytes come to mind.
Sorry to hear it became an issue.... I have come to dislike computers a lot for the maintenance....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 pm 

Search Youtube for instructions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 pm 

Sounds like a glitch with crediting your account with an extra year of protection. Usually you need to enter a code that you get when you pay to have the software recognize that you purchased this. If that didn't work then personally I would try to resolve the matter with their customer service via chat or on their forum.

I find Norton tends to work well and when it doesn't their forum is very helpful in finding a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

Sasklite wrote:
A corporate computer tech once told me mcAffee is the biggest virus in a computer when loaded.
There are better, and everyone has their favorite.
TrendMicro and Malwarebytes come to mind.
Sorry to hear it became an issue.... I have come to dislike computers a lot for the maintenance....

Word. Eventually I found a free one that seems to work ok. Avira.
And getting rid of McAffee was a major pain in the keister.

-- 06 Oct 2017 05:33 --

14 Years wrote:
Sounds like a glitch with crediting your account with an extra year of protection. Usually you need to enter a code that you get when you pay to have the software recognize that you purchased this. If that didn't work then personally I would try to resolve the matter with their customer service via chat or on their forum.

I find Norton tends to work well and when it doesn't their forum is very helpful in finding a solution.

I've had enough. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot on this. I found their site to be confusing and irritating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 am 

Avast, AVG, Windows Defender, lots of free anti virus software available for basic protection. Love that term Computer Glitch. It’s a politician and journalist’s tool to try and blame a computer for a human screw up.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:43 am 

McAffee is bad news! I had it once and when it literally killed my pc connection [along with many others at the time], they acted like it was our fault. Very bad experience with them and they wanted me to come back when I had it removed. It is very hard to remove. I do run fixmestick once a month. cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 am 

:D I also run AVG and like it. :) cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 am 

McAffee was problematic for me...(to say the least.)

In two years, I had to contact them, FIVE TIMES, and turn complete control of my 'puter over to one of their techs for debugging.

Switched to Norton a few years ago, and nary a problem since.

Caveat emptor.

del Sol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 am 

The big names in the AV market are a f'ing pox. McAffee and Norton are both terrible platforms. Describing them themselves as a virus is entirely accurate. McAffee is the worst, but personally I think both stink.

Run, don't walk to any of the other good suggestions.

Deep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:25 am 

Free version - no codes! - of the AVAST software works well for me, 5 yrs and counting.

But, your issue does sound like a server (theirs) or code (yours) screw-up.