Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 am 

Looking for suggestions and experience for matching a tube preamp with my Classe Ten power amp. I am happy with the system now but would like to bump it up a notch . Classe Ten power amp , Classe twenty preamp , Enlightened Audio Designs T1000 transport and DSP7000MKII dac, Morduant Short Mezzo 2 standmounts , Pro ject Debut Carbon Table , Bererdynamic H/P amp and DT990 H/Phones, AKG Q701 H/phones ,Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker cable .Budget 2K .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am 

I am running a Bryston 3B ST amp and had been driving it with a matching Bryston SS pre 12B.
I searched out several pres and found Canary.
Very high quality build with p-p silver soldering and teflon coated silver wiring.
It uses 2 6922 and 1 6cg7 tubes.
Pretty standard for tube pres.
But the nice thing is it matched very well with my Bryston amp.
I get the analytical punch and slam from the amp but with a lovely warmth and finesse from the Canary pre.
I would check out some Canary equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:10 am 

You'll need a phono stage in the pre, or will you get a separate one?

Maybe chase down one of these Audible Illusion pre-amps?
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... furbished/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am 

I have the Classe DR-8. I do not have a tube pre, but have been looking at heading that direction. The ones I like are the Modwright 9.0 and Cary slp-98. For less money but harder to find I also like the Cary slp-50. Rogue might also be an option. So many choices...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:28 am 

Without a doubt the DOGE 8 LP tube Preamp is one of the absolute best Preamps out there,
It is of Very High Quality and a Simply Superb sounding Preamp
I purchased one of these a few years ago and I am still extremely pleased with it to this day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:00 pm 

RIK21 wrote:
Looking for suggestions and experience for matching a tube preamp with my Classe Ten power amp. I am happy with the system now but would like to bump it up a notch . Classe Ten power amp , Classe twenty preamp , Enlightened Audio Designs T1000 transport and DSP7000MKII dac, Morduant Short Mezzo 2 standmounts , Pro ject Debut Carbon Table , Bererdynamic H/P amp and DT990 H/Phones, AKG Q701 H/phones ,Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker cable .Budget 2K .

The Model 10 (aka the DR10) has very "warm" sonics and was designed to work with balanced inputs.

It was designed to work with the Model 5 preamp - which has a very dry sound.

Quite frankly, because the Model 10 has such a "warm" sonics, I would say you are best to stay with the Model 20
preamp you are using.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm 
Premium User

Keeping in mind what Uunderhill said, if you do want to try a tube preamp, you could look for a model that isn't especially coloured, and that uses a true balanced circuit. The Sonic Frontiers Line series may work for you, or if you can find one, a 6H30 based Audio Research preamp would probably be a superb match (LS-25mk2/26/27). Note none of the units I've suggested have phono.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 pm 

joseph49 wrote:
Without a doubt the DOGE 8 LP tube Preamp is one of the absolute best Preamps out there,...

+1
The Doge is a very under-appreciated preamp. In the sub $1,500 used market, nothing comes close to it.

I upgraded from a Doge 8 to a Don Sachs custom built preamp. Don's preamps use 4 x 6NS7 tubes. The great thing about Don's amps is that he builds them to your specifications. If you call Don, he'll build you a preamp that is matched to your amp.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:50 pm 

electrafixion wrote:
Keeping in mind what Uunderhill said, if you do want to try a tube preamp, you could look for a model that isn't especially coloured, and that uses a true balanced circuit. The Sonic Frontiers Line series may work for you, or if you can find one, a 6H30 based Audio Research preamp would probably be a superb match (LS-25mk2/26/27). Note none of the units I've suggested have phono.

Yes, I think the SF line series are great pres and work well with the Classe power amps. I borrowed a line two for a while because I was thinking about going that direction. Just my observations ( so shoot me if you like) 1) I think they are overpriced for what you are getting 2) they might just be the most "solid state" sounding tube preamps I have heard. So I guess it depends what you are after.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

I don't need a phono stage as I am using a separate phono preamp . 90% CD / 10% vinyl .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm 

I'm currently using a Schiit Freya tube/passive/active preamp with my Classe Model 25 and getting very good results and it only $699 US. Love the way the Classe sounds with a tube pre.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:18 am 

Please keep us posted with your decision. I am curious about what you decide and the result.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:56 am 

I see there's a Cary SLP-03 for sale right at the limit of your budget. I've owned Cary products and they have always been musical and detailed, without being etched. The ad says it's only 3 yrs old, which is nice; from a long time, respected American company. Certainly worth serious consideration:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 am 

Uunderhill wrote:
RIK21 wrote:

The Model 10 (aka the DR10) has very "warm" sonics and was designed to work with balanced inputs.

It was designed to work with the Model 5 preamp - which has a very dry sound.

Quite frankly, because the Model 10 has such a "warm" sonics, I would say you are best to stay with the Model 20
preamp you are using.

I own a Classe' Ten and would agree that it has a "warm" sound to it. I paired it with a Classe' Four pre. ran in balanced mode. It was a good pairing. A tube pre- amp might be too much of a good thing.
Don't underestimate running things balanced, as far as the early Classe' equipment goes, there is a definite improvement over single ended.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
I own a Classe' Ten and would agree that it has a "warm" sound to it. I paired it with a Classe' Four pre. ran in balanced mode. It was a good pairing. A tube pre- amp might be too much of a good thing.
Don't underestimate running things balanced, as far as the early Classe' equipment goes, there is a definite improvement over single ended.

Think there was a misunderstanding - since the Model 10 amp and Model 4, 5 or 20 preamp
were designed to run with balanced connections,
I recommend they be run in balanced.

Actually, I had a Model 10 amp and 5 preamp - but sadly, not at the same time.
The model 5 pre sounds quite "dry" (for lack of better terms).
The 5 is known for its for its great phono stage.

Clearly the model 10 power amp was designed to partner with a Classe preamp - like the 5.
But found the model 10 too warm for my taste.

Also, recall there was the DR - 6 preamp - which was the top of line preamp from this vintage.
Which had separate power supply and preamp cases.
One other point - I checked the owner's manual for the model 5 preamp
and its output impedance is less than 1 ohm.
The model 10 power uses bi polar transistors throughout - including the front end.
So care should be taken to make sure any replacement pre has enough poop
to drive the front end of the model 10.

http://bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/classe-service