Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
Hi Folks.

I have a Samsung S2 tablet which I quite like.
Loaded up a 128 gb sd card with flac and some other files.
It sounds very good thru my A/Quest Dragonfly2 dac and my phones.

Full volume is not near loud enough and so far it doesn't play ape files, and maybe others, which I seem to have a few of.
It played some flac hires files from Prostudiomasters very well.

So... what's a good player for this tablet


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
If using an external DAC with an Android device, you should try USB Audio Player Pro app. Android limits it digital out to 24bit 48kHz max. The USB Audio Player Pro app installs it own proprietary USB driver upon loading allowing up to 32-bit at 384kHz with a sh!t load of gain. It is worth the $10 asking price. TBH – this is the only way to go with an external DAC and a Android Smartphone/Tablet

They do offer a demo on their website so obviously try before you buy.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/prod ... player-pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rpro&hl=en


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
If using an external DAC with an Android device, you should try USB Audio Player Pro app. Android limits it digital out to 24bit 48kHz max. The USB Audio Player Pro app installs it own proprietary USB driver upon loading allowing up to 32-bit at 384kHz with a sh!t load of gain. It is worth the $10 asking price. TBH – this is the only way to go with an external DAC and a Android Smartphone/Tablet

They do offer a demo on their website so obviously try before you buy.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/prod ... player-pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rpro&hl=en


You sir, have nailed it....
Thanx kindly


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:49 am
Posts: 2918
Location: A-Tube-O-Coke, ON, CA
Your Welcome!
:D

_________________
"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."
Lawrence Peter Berra (1925-2015)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
allgonoshow wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
If using an external DAC with an Android device, you should try USB Audio Player Pro app. Android limits it digital out to 24bit 48kHz max. The USB Audio Player Pro app installs it own proprietary USB driver upon loading allowing up to 32-bit at 384kHz with a sh!t load of gain. It is worth the $10 asking price. TBH – this is the only way to go with an external DAC and a Android Smartphone/Tablet

They do offer a demo on their website so obviously try before you buy.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/prod ... player-pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rpro&hl=en


You sir, have nailed it....
Thanx kindly


Glad to be of help.

I’ve been using this app for a few years now. Some may think it’s interface is not as polished as other music apps, but it definitely makes up for that sound wise. The developer(s) are also on the ball constantly improving and adding new features.

Just to note, because this overrides the Android USB Audio Class, your hardware volume rocker may not work with the app…this is entirely hardware dependent. But there is an in app volume control. It’s just a bit of PIA if your device is locked.

Enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 221
Location: GTA, ON, CA
Well I'm quite annoyed by this whole thread. I had never thought twice about my tablet for music. I download Power amp onto my Samsung Galaxy A tablet so I could play FLAC files on it in a pinch when I'm on the road. I never gave music on the tablet a second thought after that.

Now it seems I need to think the whole thing through again. Geez, more to do, thanks a lot guys!!! :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Waverley, NS, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
allgonoshow wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
If using an external DAC with an Android device, you should try USB Audio Player Pro app. Android limits it digital out to 24bit 48kHz max. The USB Audio Player Pro app installs it own proprietary USB driver upon loading allowing up to 32-bit at 384kHz with a sh!t load of gain. It is worth the $10 asking price. TBH – this is the only way to go with an external DAC and a Android Smartphone/Tablet

They do offer a demo on their website so obviously try before you buy.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/prod ... player-pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rpro&hl=en


You sir, have nailed it....
Thanx kindly


Glad to be of help.

I’ve been using this app for a few years now. Some may think it’s interface is not as polished as other music apps, but it definitely makes up for that sound wise. The developer(s) are also on the ball constantly improving and adding new features.

Just to note, because this overrides the Android USB Audio Class, your hardware volume rocker may not work with the app…this is entirely hardware dependent. But there is an in app volume control. It’s just a bit of PIA if your device is locked.

Enjoy!


I like it and sq is very good with the dac.
The gui is a little flakely when trying to return to the previous screens but no big deal.
I need to use the hardware volume control in the drop down menu to adjustit though, again no big deal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Android music player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Scott wrote:
Well I'm quite annoyed by this whole thread. I had never thought twice about my tablet for music. I download Power amp onto my Samsung Galaxy A tablet so I could play FLAC files on it in a pinch when I'm on the road. I never gave music on the tablet a second thought after that.

Now it seems I need to think the whole thing through again. Geez, more to do, thanks a lot guys!!! :D


Not a big deal. Slap in a microSD card loaded with music and you are on your way. If playing through the HP out of the tablet, the USB Audio Player Pro app is probably not the best of choices. It will not improve on devices internal DAC like it does with the Android’s USB Audio stream. Android will still down sample to 24bit 48kHz max (assuming you are trying to play anything higher than 16bit x44.1kHz). The Power Amp app is sufficient if using the headphone out

However, you can easily add an external DAC which is where USB Audio Player shines. Just keep in mind that you need an OTG USB cable which converts the Android device to act as a host. They are not expensive but are different than your regular USB cable that is used for charging and file transfer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-USB-OTG-Ada ... B00D8YZ2SA

USB Audio Player also supports UPnP/DLNA. So if your wifi is up to snuff, a micro SD card is not needed


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dupont62, Google Adsense [Bot], zerothehero and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group