Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New TV options ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm 
Premium User

So, finally finishing the basement and am looking for a new TV to put down there. Currently have a Panasonic 58" V10 plasma in the family room. Wish to hell I could buy another one.........

So. Anyone move from a Plasma to something new recently? Suggestions and thoughts ?

Looking in the 65" - 75" range. Under 5K would be nice.

Post subject: Re: New TV options ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 pm 

My choice, Samsung 65" 4K UHD HDR Curved QLED Tizen Smart TV...
Attachment:
Samsung 65 4K UHD HDR Curved QLED.jpg
Samsung 65 4K UHD HDR Curved QLED.jpg [ 198.5 KiB | Viewed 1326 times ]

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-65-4k-uhd-hdr-curved-qled-tizen-smart-tv-qn65q8camfxzc-sterling-silver-qn65q8camfxzc/10583515.aspx?

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm 

Oled is pretty much the only option that can compare to plasma, best blacks you can buy. Lg or sony are your choices. Sony uses lg panels with their own processing. You can easily get a 65 inch under your budget, going larger gets expensive, fast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:24 pm 
Premium User

Thanks lads.

I was going to wait for the Panasonic OLED's this Oct. However, with pricing in the high 7K to start, I'll have to pass.

What is the reliability of the OLED's ? Any issues ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 pm 

with their new line up coming in the fall Panasonic are offering some big reductions on their current models. Don't know the comparable to others, always been a Panny guy and my 2 plasmas are with me until one of us no longer is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm 

I replaced my second tv not too long ago. My other tv is a Panasonic GT50 Plasma, which I'm still perfectly happy with (& still offers a superior picture to most LED tvs for what I look for in picture quality). I wasn't looking to spend a lot as I just haven't been that impressed with LED (but wanted to see what this 4K thing was about), I like OLED but the current top of the line Sony & Panasonic OLEDS are more then I wanted to spend & I wasn't interested in spending $3K+ on a tv made by LG.

My take, was initially looking at Samsung but wasn't all that impressed with their picture quality & all of this years models are actually a step down in picture quality vs the previous year. In general they are put together cheaper. I ended up liking Panasonic & Sony better as far as both picture & build quality. I ended up with the Sony X900E & for the price, have been happy with it. It does have a full back lite array (vs the common edge lite) & local dimming. The black levels are quite good for an LED (coming from a plasma user with excellent black levels) but you can still notice some spot lighting on pure black screens with white lettering (such as end credits). To me its worth having some minimal spot lighting in order to have blacker blacks most of the time.

Sony has really stepped up their TV's again over the last few years (for a long time I thought they got left behind), if you like a natural picture (which you likely do being a plasma owner), the Sony is for sure worth a look. I also picked up their x800 UHD player & have been quite impressed with it as well. I've owned OPPO's in the past & was going to get their 203, but after seeing reviews it was hard to justify the price difference. I have no regrets going the Sony route, it is built very nicely for the price & the picture is top notch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm 

Panasonic is coming out with their OLED next month I believe. I personally do not like the OLED just yet as to my eyes where there should be some reflection the oldest just go jet black. I am about to purchase their TC65 dx750. Goes even lower starting Friday so although close to OLED price 65 uhd to a 55 OLED though I chose the uhd. In about five six years I will look at upgrading then.
Love the build quality of Panasonic and have owned pannies for decades.

Good luck. Lots of confusion looking for one. Lol.

Peace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 am 
Premium User

Yes, Panasonic is always my go to first. Sony 2nd.

Are Best buy and 2001 Audio pretty much it for places to buy from ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 am 

LEAFS264 wrote:
Yes, Panasonic is always my go to first. Sony 2nd.

Are Best buy and 2001 Audio pretty much it for places to buy from ?

Well I prefer the small independents whenever possible. They all pretty much have a pricing schedule which is how I knew it would be cheaper starting Friday. Might be even less cone Black Friday but who knows. At Beat buy with some tv's they will have the Geek squad come and install plus a free wall mount and calibration. That is inducing but I still give my money to the smaller shops. Easy with this tv seeing as with Best But it's online only.
Google where to buy Panasonic in Durham and your dealers should come up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 am 

Some years ago I was looking at purchasing and went to Best Buy. Another shopper had asked what if something went wrong with the tv. the reply was that if he buys the extended warranty BB would look after him, otherwise he needed to deal directly with Samsung.
Costco won't make you do that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 am 

willybilson wrote:
Oled is pretty much the only option that can compare to plasma, best blacks you can buy. Lg or sony are your choices. Sony uses lg panels with their own processing.

Agree and so do these guys...
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/lg-oled-sweeps-2017-tv-shootout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:34 am 

I would only buy a Sony these days. They've had their rough spots in the past; Panasonic had them beat with their plasmas, even Samsung was better. From what I saw last year, Sony was on top and Panasonic a shadow of their former glory. Make sure you can turn off the wi fi on the set - the RF radiation these beasts give out is staggering (and frankly should be illegal).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 am 
Premium User

hollinger wrote:
I would only buy a Sony these days. They've had their rough spots in the past; Panasonic had them beat with their plasmas, even Samsung was better. From what I saw last year, Sony was on top and Panasonic a shadow of their former glory. Make sure you can turn off the wi fi on the set - the RF radiation these beasts give out is staggering (and frankly should be illegal).

Yes, after looking at the Panny LED's I was left with a " Come on, really?" feeling. Didn't like the picture at all. The LG OLEDs looked great.....but its an LG and I'm having a hard time considering dropping 5k on anything LG.

I haven't seen any of the Sony's yet. That's next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am 

I purchased from my local independent shop & typically would recommend doing the same if its an option. I'd much rather give my $ to someone who actually knows what they are talking about vs the big box stores that typically know less then the customer. They typically can offer just as good of a price (& sometimes even better) or at least in the same ball park with hopefully value service added.

If you want to check out a site with good reviews, this is one of the best I found when looking:

http://www.rtings.com/

They also list their calibrated specs, so an easy way to dial in your set to get you close to an ideal picture with minimal effort.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am 
Premium User

daren_p wrote:
I purchased from my local independent shop & typically would recommend doing the same if its an option. I'd much rather give my $ to someone who actually knows what they are talking about vs the big box stores that typically know less then the customer. They typically can offer just as good of a price (& sometimes even better) or at least in the same ball park with hopefully value service added.

If you want to check out a site with good reviews, this is one of the best I found when looking:

http://www.rtings.com/

They also list their calibrated specs, so an easy way to dial in your set to get you close to an ideal picture with minimal effort.

Thanks !

I'm going to pop in to Whitby Audio and see what they have.