Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm 

Hello, my first post. I am seriously considering buying a LS50. Too many excellent reviews and awards have convinced me these might be the one for now. I have recently bought a Q100 and quite impressed. I think Uniq-Q makes a difference. Better than my Q Acoustics Concept 20 which are excellent as well but I feel are too small for my living room. I have an Energy sub so bass will not be an issue. If you own a LS50 and sold it, could you share why? There was a previous post asking why so many being sold. Could this be because this are mass produced in China and KEF just sold many? I am also seriously considering the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2 which are supposed to be a LS50 killer. Thanks for your response.

Attachments:
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG [ 288.07 KiB | Viewed 2679 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38010&hilit=ls50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 pm 

Yes, I just realized there were replies from previous owners. Thanks for pointing it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm 

Hi,

Way back when there was a forum thread where a lot of CAM regulars weighed in on the LS 50. You will find it here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33236

Down around page six of that thread I posted my impressions of the KEF's for whatever those opinions might be worth.

I sold my pair because they couldn't even remotely replace my J. M. Reynaud Twins for overall personal musical satisfaction.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm 

Thanks for that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 pm 

I posted in an older thread about why I sold my ls50s but in hindsight I think I would have resolved most issues with room placement as well as proper amp/preamp matching.

Live and learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:32 pm 

With the price of used LS50s and the many positive reviews and awards about them, it is quite tempting and encouraging to pull the trigger on them. Even though I considered myself an audiophile, I have always been frugal. I have always believed that you can achieve highly satisfying sound without spending a fortune at the same time if I do not enjoy it now, when? I will be 50 next year. I could afford a more expensive speakers. My friend's setup is at least 50k, I think, but sound is holographic. I am not about to spend that much. My gears are not too bad. Emotiva amp and pro, Grant Fidelity tubedac 11, Q Acoustics Concept 20 and Kef Q100 purchased recently, Energy sub. I get terrific sound from them but I think they are basically entry levels. I am sure I could do better. I am in pusuit of that holographic sound or at least closer. I am quite certain I can get that by upgrading my speakers and DAC. At this point I just might pull the trigger on Sierra 2's. Any other recommendation is appreciated. My budget is 2k for speakers and after a new DAC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 pm 
Premium User

If you want that "holographic" sound get yourself a pair of Totems. A $2,000 budget will get you the very impressive Totem Sky. Totem Arro image beautifully when provided enough room but they are an acquired taste.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 pm 

The Sky's looks very nice too. Would look good on my Partington stands. I will consider your advice. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm 

When you go to buy speakers, audition more then two pairs, and just keep in mind that the best sounding speakers would make you forget the speakers and enjoy the music.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 pm 

I find going to audio stores and auditioning intimidating especially if that is all you are doing, auditioning. That is why I spend hours reading other's opinions in forums such as this. You also will not realized the equipments qualities until it is hooked up to your own gears. So far these speakers are up for considerations;

Kef LS50 or R100
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Totem Sky or Rainmaker
SVS Ultra bookshelf
Harbeth P3ESR

From my setup above, which one will give me the most holographic sound. Again, I am not looking for bass as I have a sub. I am not able to setup in the basement as it is a new house and basement is not finished. My current setup gives me good soundstage but not quite holographic. Both Q Acoustics and Kef's gives excellent details, instrument separation and soundstage. Thanks for all the help.

-- 24 Aug 2017 05:46 --

I find going to audio stores and auditioning intimidating especially if that is all you are doing, auditioning. That is why I spend hours reading other's opinions in forums such as this. You also will not realized the equipments qualities until it is hooked up to your own gears. So far these speakers are up for considerations;

Kef LS50 or R100
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Totem Sky or Rainmaker
SVS Ultra bookshelf
Harbeth P3ESR

From my setup above, which one will give me the most holographic sound. Again, I am not looking for bass as I have a sub. I am not able to setup in the basement as it is a new house and basement is not finished. My current setup gives me good soundstage but not quite holographic. Both Q Acoustics and Kef's gives excellent details, instrument separation and soundstage. Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 pm 

Mine aren't going to be sold..work very well with my KR 14w high current SET and my Space Tech pre.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:29 am 

The LS50 will be less sensitive - probably a step backwards if you want to fill a medium size room with sound. I would focus on upgrading the emotiva amp - there's better music makers out there. As far as your quest for a holographic image, it leads me to ask if you are a music lover or hifi lover first. Many extremely musical and enjoyable systems are not great at imaging. If you're chasing music and not sound, I would revisit your criteria, especially at the budget end of things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:56 am 

To the OP - nicely appointed room!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 am 

NeatFreak….I hear what you are saying about store auditioning being intimidating. Talk to your local dealer – perhaps with a security deposit (or not) they will allow a home demo of a floor unit. Or, maybe they have an exchange policy that will allow you to return them should they not be to your liking. Regardless, as much as user (or professional) reviews can be useful, what matters most is if YOU like the product.

Good luck!