Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:24 pm 

Hi All,

I'm currently renovating my main floor and was hoping for some help regarding the in-ceiling or in-wall speaker placement.

Attached is the overhead of the 3d renderings. This is a typical Toronto semi-detached house which is approximately 37' long by 13' wide.

Would 4 equally spaced in-ceiling speakers suffice? Or 2 in-wall speakers at both ends of the house flanking both windows be better? Or something better? I know in-wall and in-ceiling speakers are not optimal but that's what's happening...

This will be used for music only.The receiver will be placed in the closet. I have a NAD C740 receiver and was thinking about getting a Chromecast unless there are any other ideas. The C740 has the typical A,B, A+B speaker settings. is that the best setup? Should I use a speaker selector? Should I buy stereo in-ceiling speakers? So many questions, trying not to implode.

Thank you soooooo much!!

Attachments:
overhead.jpg
overhead.jpg [ 150.3 KiB | Viewed 593 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 pm 

Because your space is so long and narrow and this is for music only, I would try installing the four speakers equally spaced along the long axis centreline. Then run them mono in left, right, left, right configuration. This way you will always be in a stereo zone wherever you are seated

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 pm 

My first thought would be a good pair of in-walls flanking the sofa on the left, and nothing more. If you had room I would say conventional speakers (eg good bookshelves on stands) flanking the sofa instead but I imagine that space is pretty tight.

My rationale is that (a) you are often going to want "loud area" and "quiet area" even within the same open space, (b) you want the speakers relatively close to the closet (I'm assuming the entry closet on the left ?) to make level adjustment and channel/station/track selection more convenient.

You might get a good stereo image over a broader area by mounting them in the ceiling instead of the left wall but I haven't had enough experience with in-ceiling stereo to know for sure. Ditto for running multiple stereo pairs (eg one at each end of the house), I have a vague recollection from earlier years that it messed up the sense of stereo imaging more than it improved the sound.

The exception would be if you wanted -UNIFORMLY LOUD- in which case two pairs would probably help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 am 

Is there a particular reason for wanting the speakers in the wall or ceiling?

The problem is that you won't know what this will sound like until it's done -- and then it could be a bigger pain to fix than it's worth.

Given the sound quality and convenience of mini-systems -- some with docks, and decent sound out of the small built in speaker (s), why not go with that system? Best part is it's easy to move to where you want music -- some systems have a wireless speaker option so you could still add some in-wall or ceiling speakers and simply shut them off when you want a little music for ambience.

The concern is that you may end up with loud/tinny music you can't escape because the speakers are everywhere in that space.

The other benefit of a mini system is you can also move it to achieve the best sound within its limits. You can always add a headphone amp later if you want some higher end sound that won't disturb the neighbours.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:26 am 

I assume this is the general consensus. 4 speakers placed unilaterally across the ceiling. this is probably the easiest and most logical.

The other option was having the speakers on both ends of the house. this could work as well i think - i could probably get away with only 2 speakers (1 pair) in the kitchen. We are currently trying to figure out if there would be enough space for a speaker to the left of the sink. It's pretty tight.

I know that the sound quality/convenience of in-walls are not the best and a regular/mini stereo system is preferred but there is no place for that stuff and we want to keep the clutter at a minimum. My brother has the same style of house and he has had a very difficult time trying to get the best sound possible. he has spent thousands on speakers and amps and has never really been satisfied. I just want some background music to be played while cooking and eating. And as much as I want to spend a bunch of money on amazing in-ceiling speakers I can't find any real good reason to do so since the quality is pretty much marginalized across the board - but i will take suggestions!! :) Currently looking at the polk audios rc80i's since i figure an 8" speaker will give the best bass.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Attachments:
overhead mark up2.jpg
overhead mark up2.jpg [ 389.23 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
overhead mark up.jpg
overhead mark up.jpg [ 388.37 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am 

Not trying to sound like a smart-a$$ here, but if you are going to be listening by yourself on a regular basis, you should consider a good set of headphones. It will make a world of difference if you are listening by yourself.
Best wishes for your new home! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:30 am 

Depending how loud you listen finding a place for a discreet subwoofer may help a lot with the sound in the end.

Many inwalls or in ceiling speakers lack much below 100Hz or so.

My best friend has a nice set of in walls in his dining room. They provide nice background music, but are thin when turned up.

A sub under an end table, or otherwise out of view but still contributing to the sound may help a lot.

Mark in Burlington