Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 pm 

Once upon a time, long ago in a faraway audio forum I was approached to assist in the marketing of an unnamed line of audio gear by surreptitiously posting glowing accounts of the aforementioned audio gear while posing as a mere hihi enthusiast. In return I would receive free samples of the gear. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have been in the HiFi business for 45 years and have worked for a lot of major companies in senior management positions. I have never seen what you describe ever done anywhere. Nobody has that kind of money to throw around. I don't believe your claim.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
Premium User

I've been in this hobby since I was a teen, worked in the industry and have never heard about this happening. It might exist but it's just something I haven't seen yet. It would be risky for a manufacturer to possibly get exposed further down the road.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:09 pm 

to OP....maybe if you pass the number...we can all benefit.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:55 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Once upon a time, long ago in a faraway audio forum I was approached to assist in the marketing of an unnamed line of audio gear by surreptitiously posting glowing accounts of the aforementioned audio gear while posing as a mere hihi enthusiast. In return I would receive free samples of the gear. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

are you suggesting some audio reviews may be biased?! never....lol!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 pm 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:
are you suggesting some audio reviews may be biased?! never....lol!!

Reviewer bias? That never happens in this industry of honesty and fair pricing 8) Sometimes I lose sleep over those poor cable manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

europroducts wrote:
I have been in the HiFi business for 45 years and have worked for a lot of major companies in senior management positions. I have never seen what you describe ever done anywhere. Nobody has that kind of money to throw around. I don't believe your claim.

I agree. I expect it would be the least likely of scenarios. Been around audio for about....30 years now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 pm 

europroducts wrote:

I must be special. Have you ever heard of vendors or distributors posting under the guise of a ordinary hifi enthusiast to promote their wares?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
europroducts wrote:

I must be special. Have you ever heard of vendors or distributors posting under the guise of a ordinary hifi enthusiast to promote their wares?

They wouldn't dare!....Would they?....Nah....that would be a conflict of interest.

Never happen in today's world. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:00 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:

Should have taken them up on their offer, dude! I assume this was back when the internet was young - too many voices nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:08 pm 

I was once told by a well known cable maker that a reviewer had said to him if you give me a set of your cables I will write you a really good review. The cable maker freaked on the reviewer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

Last edited by wcoombs on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm 

thought only the booze reps gave away free samples for a good review..

Sounds like a secret posed to be exposed.
Didn't we have this question about 'best buddy deals' at the audio store a short while back?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Audio_Guy wrote:
europroducts wrote:

That I have heard of and seen it directly with my own eyes.. and some of them are not good people. Thankfully, it seems to be rare. We've even caught people (at least one) who we know are distributors/dealers..trashing us on line.

Not much we can do about it. Calling them out causes a fecal storm that no one wins. So we just have to sit and take the hit from people with a zero for a moral compass.

Like it says in the advert, we were directly warned by a major in the cable business, to 'watch our back'. Some see the technology, patented and limited to one vendor -as a threat to their future in the market.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 am 

.... and I liked it so much I bought the review sample....