Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Electronic Depot is proud to announce the arrival of pre-recorded open reel music. STS ANALOG is offering R2R tapes copied directly from the master at 15ips, half track. Featuring some of Europe's best musicians recorded , attempting to getting the listener as close as possible to the originally captured performance on tape. Please visit our website for a sample selection or better yet come on down for a listen.

Attachments:
STS_Ultimate_Analogue (1).jpg
STS_Ultimate_Analogue (1).jpg [ 143.09 KiB | Viewed 2419 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am 

Had a chance to hear a tape yesterday and they sound great.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:33 pm 

This is exciting news I have to go and have a listen, I wonder if reel to reel is slowly making a comeback, if so there may be new machines produced oh ya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm 

Revox is coming soon.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:14 pm 

Wonderful news can't wait, I have a Revox B77 mk11 witch I love, I wonder on the new revox if the heads are direct to your preamp.What deck do you have Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:42 pm 

As these are from the Nederlands, I'm thinking that these are IEC not NAB equalization, similar to what the Tape Project and other high-end tape companies are selling. Price is certaily similar to the Tape Project.

if so, your reVox isn't going to play these as it is a NAB machine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm 

zaphod wrote:
As these are from the Nederlands, I'm thinking that these are IEC not NAB equalization, similar to what the Tape Project and other high-end tape companies are selling. Price is certaily similar to the Tape Project.

Revox machines will still play it, but the sound is a little bass shy. BTW, you can change any Revox machines to any equalization that you want it just that it's not as easy as flipping a switch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm 

tube54 wrote:
zaphod wrote:

Revox machines will still play it, but the sound is a little bass shy. BTW, you can change any Revox machines to any equalization that you want it just that it's not as easy as flipping a switch.

you are right, the reVox will play the tape, but the frequency curve will be off. just like playing a dolby reel without dolby circuitry will have the frequency curve will be off (a different off in that case, but off still). Anyone paying $300 for an album should want the frequency curve to be accurate.

I'm not so sure about converting a reVox to play IEC. I've been following the Tape Project (TP) guys and forums for a number of years and the best I've seen suggested is an outboard unit that takes the RCA out signal and applies an equalization that *mostly* counters the frequency curve that results when you push IEC equalization through NAB circuits. I say this as a B77 owner since 1992 who wanted like heck to play TP tapes on my B77. Studers are a different matter, all the ones i've seen (A80, 807, 810, B67) are switchable IEC/NAB from the panel, that is if you can afford the geography to house a machine that size. But those are the Studers and using a reVox for playback of an IEC tape is just not the best you can get out of that $300 tape.

Easiest way to get an IEC compatible deck in NorthAmerica would be an Otari (say a 5050) as most Otaris have a slider switch to choose between IEC and NAB conveniently located on the back of the unit (hmph).

Almost as easy is to get a Tascam 32 as there are hundreds of them out there and they are internally jumpered to either IEC or NAB equalizations. I was surprised as heck when someone over on the TP forums discovered this capability buried in the Tascam service manual. Seeing as I own a Tascam 32, good news indeed, although the BR-20 big brother of the 32 is front panel switchable between IEC and NAB and I was lusting after a BR-20 until I learned about the IEC capability of the Tascam 32.

And then there is the sony APR 5000 series which I have never seen, but reading from the manual seem to use different equalizations dependant on speed. NAB or IEC (dependant on the headstack) for 7.5ips and 15ips but AES for 30ips. I must be reading the manual wrong for that seems weird.

lots of ways to spend our cash and collect machines. I'm currently at 6 and holding firm. (Although there is that Studer I saw the other day ...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

zaphod wrote:
tube54 wrote:
zaphod wrote:

you are right, the reVox will play the tape, but the frequency curve will be off. just like playing a dolby reel without dolby circuitry will have the frequency curve will be off (a different off in that case, but off still). Anyone paying $300 for an album should want the frequency curve to be accurate.

I'm not so sure about converting a reVox to play IEC. I've been following the Tape Project (TP) guys and forums for a number of years and the best I've seen suggested is an outboard unit that takes the RCA out signal and applies an equalization that *mostly* counters the frequency curve that results when you push IEC equalization through NAB circuits. I say this as a B77 owner since 1992 who wanted like heck to play TP tapes on my B77. Studers are a different matter, all the ones i've seen (A80, 807, 810, B67) are switchable IEC/NAB from the panel, that is if you can afford the geography to house a machine that size. But those are the Studers and using a reVox for playback of an IEC tape is just not the best you can get out of that $300 tape.

Easiest way to get an IEC compatible deck in NorthAmerica would be an Otari (say a 5050) as most Otaris have a slider switch to choose between IEC and NAB conveniently located on the back of the unit (hmph).

Almost as easy is to get a Tascam 32 as there are hundreds of them out there and they are internally jumpered to either IEC or NAB equalizations. I was surprised as heck when someone over on the TP forums discovered this capability buried in the Tascam service manual. Seeing as I own a Tascam 32, good news indeed, although the BR-20 big brother of the 32 is front panel switchable between IEC and NAB and I was lusting after a BR-20 until I learned about the IEC capability of the Tascam 32.

And then there is the sony APR 5000 series which I have never seen, but reading from the manual seem to use different equalizations dependant on speed. NAB or IEC (dependant on the headstack) for 7.5ips and 15ips but AES for 30ips. I must be reading the manual wrong for that seems weird.

lots of ways to spend our cash and collect machines. I'm currently at 6 and holding firm. (Although there is that Studer I saw the other day ...)

Agreed the Otari does have the IEC and NAB equalization option. The 5050 BII that I used to own has this option as well as the 30IPS speed. However, it doesn't sound as good as the Revox PR99 MKII that I owned now on NAB equalization. There's a tech in Pickering On. who's willing to change my Revox NAB equalization into EIC equalization but I opted against it for the simple fact that the IEC equalization does sound a little trebly for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 am 

that PR99 is a nice bit of kit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 pm 

I'm likely heading down to St. Catharines within a month (Dad is quite sick) and will try to swing a stop to check out the reels that you have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 am 

zaphod wrote:
tube54 wrote:
zaphod wrote:

Almost as easy is to get a Tascam 32 as there are hundreds of them out there and they are internally jumpered to either IEC or NAB equalizations.

Tandberg TD20 & TD20SE are IEC and a superb deck.