Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:44 am 
Premium User

I have found Allmusic.com to be a great source for reviews and ratings of the music I like, which is mostly rock. I have particularly liked being able to select early 70's funk albums based on Allmusic's reviews.

However, I am curious to know how others go about doing their research. What sources have you found really good in steering you in the right direction (especially if you are a rock fan)?

Last edited by Tangram on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 am 

Excellent thread but I am here to only tell you that Allmusic is my go to review site as well and to share with you my favourite excerpt of a review ever written from Allmusic.....all about Lemmy and Motorhead's first album "On Parole" which I had to have after reading about it:

"On Parole contrarily turned in a bludgeoning blur of riffs and roaring, a bare-fanged threat to the order of things, a slobbering, slavering, three-headed monster that should have been strangled at birth. UA did the next best thing. They decapitated it. On Parole was buried, Motörhead were dropped, and, by year's end, the band had shattered. And there the story should have ended. But Lemmy was made of sterner stuff" --

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:18 am 

I have most of the early Motorhead albums.
I have Motorhead`s "Golden Years " EP signed by the band in 1980.
They were doing a record signing at Sam The Record Man on Yonge St.
Motorheadgirlschool 10 inch EP.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am 

My go to site for years has been rateyourmusic.com. I use it mostly for issue/reissue info. Discogs can be useful when they provide matrix details and a photo of the label.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 am 

Allmusic for discographies, ratings, and reviews. Discogs for pressing information, and values. Steve Hoffman Forum for opinions on different pressings. If you wan't to know if that recent reissue sounds better/worst than the original, Hoffman's forum is great resource. There are some real dogs out there in new vinyl when it comes to reissues. This site is a must visit before buying. Even for used, you can research the ultimate version of a album.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:54 am 

I'm a jazz fan... I read All That Jazz, JazzTimes, The Guardian and a couple of other sources to seek new releases (all that online, no paper please). Then I listen on Tidal... I usually have access to 90% of those new releases. When I began gaining interest in jazz, I was on Allmusic all the time and the Pingouin Guides helped me discover a lot of good jazz (remember those). I still go on Allmusic but I see they're not up to date with some of the growing trends and artists in Europe in particular... Lots of good prog jazz comes from Europe these days. Pitchfork is also a good source of info, particularly for indie.

I would believe that for rock, Allmusic is very up to paste with the trends. I dunno... Apart from the old 1970 rock (prog mainly), I dont listen to rock

I have to look at Steve Hoffman's site and blog.... Thanks for that

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 pm 
Premium User

Tidal and Pitchfork

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

I use allmusic and sometimes pitchfork.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 am 

Tidal, & Allmusic for me.

I also take screenshots of RadioParadise on my iPhone when I hear something I really like. Then go to Tidal later and listen to the musicians/groups albums.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:55 am 

One of my favourite record reviews was for one of the later Bon Jovi albums.

"There are two types of people in the world, those who like Bon Jovi ... and guys."

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 am 
Premium User

This may sound over simplistic, but unless it's rare I do no research. I just buy what I want, like and what catches my eye... It is supposed to be fun after all...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 am 

http://www.newreleasesnow.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 am 

Most of my 'research' is using my ear - I often use "Daily Mixes" on Spotify, which generates random daily lists of music for me to listen to (at work mostly). If I hear something that piques my interest I will generally go to discogs to see what the album is worth (I also mostly listen to Jazz).
I'm not sure I've ever done any other research, though I have read the allmusic feed in Roon and things like that...but I find it's more of an activity like reading liner notes :)
B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 am 
Premium User

waxwings wrote:
This may sound over simplistic, but unless it's rare I do no research. I just buy what I want, like and what catches my eye... It is supposed to be fun after all...

For sure, fun is the ultimate (and arguably the only) goal! But each of us gets enjoyment in different ways. I mostly buy used music from the 70's and 80's and I enjoy learning about the artists and their backgrounds. Allmusic is actually a very good resource for this. If I get into more new music, then I'd be open to experiment but with the cost of new vinyl, I am happy that we can preview the album via streaming prior to purchasing the vinyl.

Besides, if I spend my time researching music I will spend less time researching gear, which, in the long run, may make this hobby a bit cheaper!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 am 

viiu wrote:
My go to site for years has been rateyourmusic.com. I use it mostly for issue/reissue info. Discogs can be useful when they provide matrix details and a photo of the label.

A second vote for rateyourmusic.com which is soon to be sonemic.com. I love the idea of charts based on user ratings only and I've picked up so many new titles/artists from the forums/community and from members on my compatibility lists. The user composed reviews are also surprisingly good.