Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Le Studio burns down
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 pm 

Sad to see that Le Studio near Morin Heights, Quebec burned down early this morning. Some of the better-known artists and bands who recorded there include David Bowie, Sting, Bee Gees, April Wine, Rush, Chicago.

Kind of weird that the last album I played last night was Synchronicity by the Police, and I read in the liner notes that it was recorded at Le Studio.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/le-studio-fire-morin-heights-1.4243188

Post subject: Re: Le Studio burns down
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

http://andreperrystudio.com/biography/?lang=en

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:48 am 

I literally stumbled across Le Studio by mistake in the early 80's (1981 or 1982?).

I was driving a van load of skiers to the National Junior Cross Country Ski Championships being held at Morin Heights and missed the turn. I came across Le Studio and thought it was some kind of funky, boutique hotel. I drove into the driveway to turn around. As I drove in, I had to stop to let the members of Supertramp cross in front of me. I was freaking out and yelling at everyone that these guys were Supertramp.

The skiers in the van (all under 18 yrs) just looked at me blankly. "What's a supertramp?", one asked.

When we arrived at the ski trails I told the other coaches what I had seen. One of the local Quebec coaches knew that it was a recording studio (which is when I found out it wasn't a hotel). But no one believed that Supertramp would come to Canada, let alone Morin Heights, to record. I took a lot of teasing over my alleged "Supertramp" sighting that week.

As far as I know, Supertramp never released any recordings from Le Studio.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 am 

I guess you took the long way home.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:53 am 

I am going up there next weekend , was going to drop in to show my buddy , guess that won't be happening now :(

-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 am 

I have read the history of Le Studio but I wonder why it stopped becoming relevant after it was sold? By 2003 it closed down but why? Was the technology becoming obsolete? Was it too far to get to? Why the shift. Any opinion would be appreciated. It had been so successful for so long that it seems strange how it turned to nothing in a matter of years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:11 am 

Hi,

Note to nordicnorm; Great story!

Perhaps they were doing out-takes for 'Breakfast in America? Later to be featured in the Quebec film 'Le decline de l'empire Americain'?
:lol:

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
I literally stumbled across Le Studio by mistake in the early 80's (1981 or 1982?).

I was driving a van load of skiers to the National Junior Cross Country Ski Championships being held at Morin Heights and missed the turn. I came across Le Studio and thought it was some kind of funky, boutique hotel. I drove into the driveway to turn around. As I drove in, I had to stop to let the members of Supertramp cross in front of me. I was freaking out and yelling at everyone that these guys were Supertramp.

The skiers in the van (all under 18 yrs) just looked at me blankly. "What's a supertramp?", one asked.

When we arrived at the ski trails I told the other coaches what I had seen. One of the local Quebec coaches knew that it was a recording studio (which is when I found out it wasn't a hotel). But no one believed that Supertramp would come to Canada, let alone Morin Heights, to record. I took a lot of teasing over my alleged "Supertramp" sighting that week.

As far as I know, Supertramp never released any recordings from Le Studio.

.....CBC producer Frank Opolko was sound engineer at Le Studio around this time.....a tweet or email might solve this one....

Last edited by dupont62 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am 

Not the first fire there , back in the 80's Ian Hunter was up there with band staying in the guest house which burnt down and they had to run for their lives . But I was sure I saw something on the news that Rush had bought the studio and were going to refurb it ? Neil P has a cottage about 30 mins away from there and they really liked that studio withe Neaves board which was state of the art back then .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 am 

blakcloud wrote:
I have read the history of Le Studio but I wonder why it stopped becoming relevant after it was sold? By 2003 it closed down but why? Was the technology becoming obsolete? Was it too far to get to? Why the shift. Any opinion would be appreciated. It had been so successful for so long that it seems strange how it turned to nothing in a matter of years.

Le Studio was a destination studio much like Compass Point,Caribou Ranch,Pachyderm etc...all gone.
When budgets shrunk studios suffered.

Gary