Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 am 

As the subject line says another A/V receiver has died on me. More accurately the HDMI board has died yet again.
This morning I had audio but no video. After futzing around I verified that it was the receiver (Marantz NR 1403) that has screwed up.
In no particular order I have had the following A/V units fail:
Denon 3310 (the worst of the worst, abysmal non existant service) multiple HDMI failures. Denon washed their hands of it.
Onkyo Integra DTR 40.2 - multiple HDMI board failures. Slowest and most inept repairs ever.
Sony (don't know model) lasted about 2 weeks. HDMI board failure. They wanted more than the unit was worth to repair it.
Yamaha- HDMI failure, got incredibly hot and shut down constantly. Repairs cost more than the unit. I gave it away to my nieces kid. It failed totally two weeks later.
Marantz NR 1403- multiple HDMI failures, including the most recent one that makes three.
These units failed despite taking all kinds of measures to protect them from power surges,heat etc. (APC H10, Yalu Balula, fans, in line cable surge arrestors etc.).
And here we are again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 am 

Hi Mahatma...
Sorry to hear about your receivers demise.
But what strikes me odd is that you keep buying them.
Is there no other electronics that would give you the same result for your setup albeit more money but maybe last longer?
Not trying to rub salt but i would look into maybe some different gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 am 

Seems odd that in each case it was the HDMI board that died.
What are you plugging into the HDMI ports on these things?

Edit: What I am suggesting is one of your display devices or sources might be bad and is the source of your issue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 am 

Very strange indeed...I've never heard of anyone having this many problems with A/V receivers. I've had mine for over 10 years without a problem...and it was a cheapie! One HAS to wonder if the issue is elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:09 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi Mahatma...
Is there no other electronics that would give you the same result for your setup albeit more money but maybe last longer?

I have decent A/V speakers (Tannoy MXR's all round, 5) and a good sub (B&W ASW 610), decent Blu Ray player (Oppo BDP 80) and I like the surround effects for movies).
I keep thinking that just MAYBE someone can build a decent A/V receiver. The Marantz is one of the most basic no frills units I could find. 5.1 channels and little else and yet it failed.
If there is an alternative I'm open to it.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:15 --

mantisory wrote:
Very strange indeed...I've never heard of anyone having this many problems with A/V receivers. I've had mine for over 10 years without a problem...and it was a cheapie! One HAS to wonder if the issue is elsewhere.

I've wondered about it as well. I've tried everything possible including upgrading my electrical panel.
Todays failure may be due to a storm that blew through this morning. Although everything else in house is fine and the receiver does turn on. Once again an HDMI failure.
Short of an exorcism, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 am 

I've had no issues with a Pioneer Elite receiver , or their DVD or Blu Ray players over about 5 years.....a lot of guys speak highly of Anthem, but I've never owned one of those......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi Mahatma...

I have decent A/V speakers (Tannoy MXR's all round, 5) and a good sub (B&W ASW 610), decent Blu Ray player (Oppo BDP 80) and I like the surround effects for movies).
I keep thinking that just MAYBE someone can build a decent A/V receiver. The Marantz is one of the most basic no frills units I could find. 5.1 channels and little else and yet it failed.

Well...
I think there are alternatives but they might depend on your needs for your A/V system.
Eg. All the new and latest encoding/decoding for dvds and audio section.
Or also power requirements.
Or set up capabilities.

Last edited by Chipmunk1957 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 am 

kolwrath wrote:
Seems odd that in each case it was the HDMI board that died.
What are you plugging into the HDMI ports on these things?

Edit: What I am suggesting is one of your display devices or sources might be bad and is the source of your issue.

I have a Rogers STB, Blu-ray player and the TV screen. That's it.
Everything else is working.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:29 --

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi Mahatma...

Well...
I think there are alternatives but they might depend on your needs for your A/V system.
Eg. All the new and latest encoding/decoding for dvds and audio section.
Or also power requirements.
Or set up capabilities.

I've really only needed 5.1 and as for power I've gone from relatively high power (Onkyo and Denon) to medium (Marantz).
I'm not killing the receivers with sustained high powered non stop audio, it's everyday telly watching. It should be a doddle for them. I make sure there is no ventilation blockages, I've even used a fan to keep them cool and I pay attention to surge protection. why the abysmal failure rate, I wish I knew.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:33 --

Hal Brian wrote:
I've had no issues with a Pioneer Elite receiver , or their DVD or Blu Ray players over about 5 years.....a lot of guys speak highly of Anthem, but I've never owned one of those......

A lot of people do like Anthem but they are out of my price range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 am 

Have you checked out something like Anthem or Emotiva?
I was in a fairly hi-end shop lately and thats what they were running.
Edit...
If you like Anthem go for it!
Save your do re me and stop paying for half a$$ed equip.

Last edited by Chipmunk1957 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:37 am 

I would ask Rogers to swap out their unit. Your ongoing situation has made me pretty nervous because I have an Arcam AV9 that I paid a lot of money for, but (touch wood) it has been fine ... but I am with Bell TV and I use a Belkin PF60 power conditioner. I wonder if there is something going on with the Rogers unit, especially during thunderstorms.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Have you checked out something like Anthem or Emotiva?
I was in a fairly hi-end shop lately and thats what they were running.

Anthem- No. A little out my price range.
Emotiva- They're interesting but I'm shopping in the bargain basement bin as of late.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:41 --

Quadzilla wrote:
I would ask Rogers to swap out their unit. Your ongoing situation has made me pretty nervous because I have an Arcam AV9 that I paid a lot of money for, but (touch wood) it has been fine ... but I am with Bell TV and I use a Belkin PF60 power conditioner. I wonder if there is something going on with the Rogers unit, especially during thunderstorms.

That is a very good idea, it's probable suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:48 am 

There's got to be a problem with one of your sources that is frying the boards.

You can get a used Anthem for under $500 if you are patient (MRX300) or $500 for a MRX500. They are good units. But if you have a bad source, then it won't matter what you buy, it will still burn out the HDMI board.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:48 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I would also ask them to send a technician to check for stray voltage and other potential problems.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:56 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I would also ask them to send a technician to check for stray voltage and other potential problems.

Definitely swap out that Rogers box - have experience with two of those Marantz NR series receivers and both are going strong after years of use. One is a Netflix / PC HDMI connection and the other is Bell Fibe...

Sounds silly, but have you been using the same HDMI cable all the way through?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 am 

I noticed a large improvement in picture quality when I changed Rogers cable box to the "Netbox" made by Cisco....it has a wall wart power supply