Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stepping up my game..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm 

Hi all..
For the past year or so i have been running Bryston preamp 12B with either one or bridged 2BLP amps.
Well now I'm just about to step up to a 4B ST amp and wondered if anyone might know what I might expect or notice as an upgrade.
I am very excited about this purchase as it comes on the heels of a very bad year for me.
Having to sell some very cherished pieces just to pay the rent.
Not crying the blues but it's been rough.
My finances have recently improved and I am about to get back in this game again.
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess..
Knowing there are many of you who understand the audio bug is a big comfort to me here on the forum.
Thanks for any replies.
Chip :))

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:29 pm 

Probably some much tighter bass, and a very clean mid/upper mid. High end will either be crisp, or analytical, depends on how you judge things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:52 am 

I don't have a direct comparison, but I have heard the 9b ST (125w/5 channel version of that lineup) I would expect a significant upgrade, depending on what you're using it for. With my efficient Paradigms in my smaller, very bass-friendly office, the 2B sounded tremendous, but when I took it to my living room with similar speakers, it sounded thin compared with the ST. The 4b ST's bass will be tighter, too. I found vocals sounded harsh, though it depends on your tastes.

Of course we all have different taste in sonic signatures, but I have since sold both the 2B and the 9B ST. I still love Bryston-- I got a 4B SST2 and it sounds sublime, but I've found that Parasound gives you amazing value on the used market. I landed a Parasound HCA 1000, and preferred its sonic signature to the ST, for considerably less money. This is Parasound's worst, most entry-level amp, so I would assume any other Parasound would be an upgrade. The HCA 1500 has amazing reviews, unlike my 1000 has MOSFET and similar horsepower to the 4B. I suspect you would like it a lot, and I suspect you'd save quite a bit, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:34 pm 

padboy1 wrote:
I don't have a direct comparison, but I have heard the 9b ST (125w/5 channel version of that lineup) I would expect a significant upgrade, depending on what you're using it for. With my efficient Paradigms in my smaller, very bass-friendly office, the 2B sounded tremendous, but when I took it to my living room with similar speakers, it sounded thin compared with the ST. The 4b ST's bass will be tighter, too. I found vocals sounded harsh, though it depends on your tastes.

Of course we all have different taste in sonic signatures, but I have since sold both the 2B and the 9B ST. I still love Bryston-- I got a 4B SST2 and it sounds sublime, but I've found that Parasound gives you amazing value on the used market. I landed a Parasound HCA 1000, and preferred its sonic signature to the ST, for considerably less money. This is Parasound's worst, most entry-level amp, so I would assume any other Parasound would be an upgrade. The HCA 1500 has amazing reviews, unlike my 1000 has MOSFET and similar horsepower to the 4B. I suspect you would like it a lot, and I suspect you'd save quite a bit, too.

Just so you know i ran 2 2b lps bridged at 200 per side and they were really nice.
As far as Parasound i also have owned 2 of the HCA 1000's bridged at 400 a side.
They were ok but they ran hot.
I like the Bryston sound alot and really look forward to the 4b ST.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm 

No accounting for personal taste. Bridging amps effectively doubles the impedance. A single amp with the same wattage from the same manufacturer will sound superior.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 pm 

Thats one of the main reasons i want to go with the 4B ST.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm 

what speaker cables are you going to use with the bryston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 am 

I've owned both and the only one I miss is the 2B. Would upgrade pre-amp instead.
For what its Worth, Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:53 am 

jnaudio wrote:
what speaker cables are you going to use with the bryston

Mogami 3103.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:22 am 

logcabiner wrote:
I've owned both and the only one I miss is the 2B. Would upgrade pre-amp instead.
For what its Worth, Bob

Thanks Bob but i enjoy my Preamp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 am 

Congrats on turning things around, Chip. And since you already know you love the Bryston sound, I'm sure you'll love the new amp. Something comforting about a company that's been around as long as Bryston; and it's Canadian to boot!! If you really wanted to test/hear how well you like Bryston, and what else might be possible, it might be fun to borrow a tubed amp. Tubes would be as different from Bryston as is possible to be. Make it a good one (at least the same price range as the Bryston) and see how the sound of the two compares in your system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi all..
For the past year or so i have been running Bryston preamp 12B with either one or bridged 2BLP amps.
Well now I'm just about to step up to a 4B ST amp and wondered if anyone might know what I might expect or notice as an upgrade.
I am very excited about this purchase as it comes on the heels of a very bad year for me.
Having to sell some very cherished pieces just to pay the rent.
Not crying the blues but it's been rough.
My finances have recently improved and I am about to get back in this game again.
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess..
Knowing there are many of you who understand the audio bug is a big comfort to me here on the forum.
Thanks for any replies.
Chip :))

Certainly buying something big and shiny can help you feel better, but, is it really necessary to upgrade to the 4B? If you had to sell gear to pay rent then is it really prudent to sell other gear (or trade 'up') for something 'better' right now?

Keep what you got. Just remember that there was likely a time not long ago when you lusted for those 2Bs and now you have them. Enjoy them. You can trade them or sell then to acquire the 4B and you can easily trick yourself into thinking about just how much better it sounds compared to the 4B when the reality is the sound will be more similar than different.

You can easily convince yourself that the dual 2B set-up you have now is amazing. Save the money for future rent, or music, or beer, or take your lady out and make a memorable night.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:00 pm 

Thanks guys...
I no longer have the 2b's as they were sold for rent.
It was after that my finances turned better.
I have been running an Adcom 535 mkii for a month and am now ready to pick up the 4B ST this week.
I have always had a 4B on the bucket list but did not know which one to go for when the moment came.
I have heard alot of good things about the ST and I'm going to strike while the iron is hot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:43 pm 

People really seem to love those 2BLP's. I've seen them in home and pro studios. More than the bigger Brystons.

When I went 3BST to 4BST I only noticed the extra power in the bass department. Everything else sounded the same. My Forrest's are pigs and really appreciate the watts. Now bass is effortless and in abundance.

Love my 4BST. If the right priced 4BSST came up on CAM I might pounce, and sell the ST. Right now the extra cost isn't justified for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:04 pm 

ae86 wrote:
People really seem to love those 2BLP's. I've seen them in home and pro studios. More than the bigger Brystons.

When I went 3BST to 4BST I only noticed the extra power in the bass department. Everything else sounded the same. My Forrest's are pigs and really appreciate the watts. Now bass is effortless and in abundance.

Love my 4BST. If the right priced 4BSST came up on CAM I might pounce, and sell the ST. Right now the extra cost isn't justified for me.

When i bridged my 2BLP's they sounded pretty good but the output seemed like a bit of a struggle like they really had to work. I really like the idea of 250 per side but like you said effortlessly so.
Im driving Polk rta 15 tl and these are also power hungry.
I really think I'm making a move up and not sideways.
Thanks to all for your input so far.
Cam is a wonderful site and there's always a great exchange of views.