Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LP storage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am 

I am getting back into vinyl and dusting off my collection of 200+ albums I own. The problem is how do I store these gems?

I used to store these in milk crates but I now want a more elegant solution. I like the way record stores have them displayed with the album cover facing you and allowing you to easily flip through each album quickly. It almost seems therapeutic.

I would love to hear your ideas, see some pictures and find out where in Canada I can purchase storage solutions. I can see my record collection growing at a steady pace over the next several years.

Post subject: Re: LP storage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 am 

audioroom wrote:
I am getting back into vinyl and dusting off my collection of 200+ albums I own. The problem is how do I store these gems?

I used to store these in milk crates but I now want a more elegant solution. I like the way record stores have them displayed with the album cover facing you and allowing you to easily flip through each album quickly. It almost seems therapeutic.

I would love to hear your ideas, see some pictures and find out where in Canada I can purchase storage solutions. I can see my record collection growing at a steady pace over the next several years.

Ikea Kallax - http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categ ... ies/27534/

/thread

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 am 

IKEA Knagglig box

IKEA Branas basket

Bags Unlimited

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 pm 

I use kallax as well. Home depot has some cube shelving as well - seems to be pine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm 

Kallax comes in three different sizes. I am using the 6 foot by 6 foot model. That gives me 25 cubes of storage....and each cube can easily store 40 LPs. It is well constructed, free-standing, nad relatively attractive. A couple of hundred bucks. There are also some inserts available from IKEA that fit into the cubes...one is a swinging door for closing off a cube for storage; the other is an insert which builds two sliding drawers into a cube. I have installed a mix of both. They are surprisingly easy to build and looks very professional. A hint: I glue every dowel when I build IKEA stuff; it adds a bit more strength.

Best of luck with your collection.o
T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm 

I have two LPBINs. Decent quality, plus no need to try and read the spines. Lighting accessories can be found at Ikea. Better than the record shops IMO. Also, they sell a groovemat which ensures the albums don't slip and slide.

https://www.lpbin.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 pm 

I would love to hear your ideas, see some pictures and find out where in Canada I can purchase storage solutions. I can see my record collection growing at a steady pace over the next several years.[/quote]

I've got Ikea's Kallax as well.
<http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20275814/>
Each shelf can hold about 70 Lp's.
Very strong and works great.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 pm 

this is what i use....google 4x8 sheet record bin....easy to make, and with some time you can make it really nice in terms of astetics and strength. It will easily hold 200+ records, and, I love flipping through them...just like at a record shop.
I modified the design so i have two separate stands, each mounted on gas pipe legs, so I don't have to bend over...just my 2cents

-- 17 Jul 2017 02:17 --

Attachments:
record bin.jpg
record bin.jpg [ 96.95 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm 

McBru wrote:
I have two LPBINs. Decent quality, plus no need to try and read the spines. Lighting accessories can be found at Ikea. Better than the record shops IMO. Also, they sell a groovemat which ensures the albums don't slip and slide.

https://www.lpbin.com/

Those are nice. I am seriously considering ordering a pair the LP5 record storage/display racks for the wall space behind my speakers. Will keep main stuff there and seeing many titles will allow me to easily locate stuff alphabetically. Back ordered till fall :oops:

VPI Classic TT
Dynavector DV-20X2L
Denon AU-310 SUT
Pro-ject Tube Box DS
Onkyo C-7030 CD
Musical Fidelity X10 V3 (tube buffer for CD player)
Panamax M-5300 PM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:21 pm 

If you have 200 lps then this would work well for you. $126 at Rona. I have two of these I have laid down horizontally in my hallway. The 4 outside pieces are the thickness of doors which seems to give them pretty good integrity. Each one holds about 500 lps. Comes in black or white I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm 

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks to everyone who posted. The IKEA Kallax seem pretty decent but the closest IKEA for me is in Vancouver which requires a ferry ride. Still they are a very good option.

I really like the LPBIN solution. That is pretty much what I was thinking. It would allow me to flip through my albums and see more of the album.

McBru - did you purchase your LPBINs locally or order them through their web site?

I did some more digging today and found these which are made in Delta, BC. Has anyone used them?
http://www.vinylrecordstorage.co

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 am 

Rising Sun records sells wooden crates for records
Kijiji has many ads for used storage containers . Some vintage foot stools with flip tops for record storage.
Old wooded apple crates.
metal file cases with locking latches on them
Old wooden filing cabinets.
Old stereo consoles have sections for Lp storage.
Use your imagination there are endless means to store Lps cds tapes..etc..
Let us know which one you decide to use...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 am 

Attachment:
LPBINs.JPG
LPBINs.JPG [ 78.91 KiB | Viewed 402 times ]

The LPBINs were delivered to my house. Packing was top notch. I know others here on CAM have made their own, but this is a nice option for us non-DIYs.

The record dividers were a must for me. Check out Bagsunlimited, another US-based retailer. The initial order were blanks (no letters!). They immediately sent me the correct order and told me to keep the first order which will be used for sub-categories/genres down the road. So nice service, but you will cringe/cry/curse at the extra charges for us Canucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 am 

audioroom wrote:
Lots of great ideas here. Thanks to everyone who posted. The IKEA Kallax seem pretty decent but the closest IKEA for me is in Vancouver which requires a ferry ride. Still they are a very good option.

I think you have a Rona in Victoria, and you can probably order Online from IKEA to have delivered.
Lots of Great Ideas here, wow!
Ott.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 am 

audioroom wrote:

Yes but the other options do not come with a Ball Pit and Swedish Meatballs! :lol:

If you do decide on the Kallax, follow the instructions and assemble AND use it correctly. The long supporting shelves must be horizontal otherwise failure is imminent! It is also a good idea to secure it to a wall stud if it is heavily loaded. This prevents the unit from swaying putting stress on it’s joints.

Although a little deeper, the Besta shelves from Ikea are another option.

I own both Kallax and Expedit – they work as they should. But if I was to start from scratch again, I’d choose the LPBIN’s. Something has to be said about easily flipping through your collection instead of trying to read the spine or pulling out each record one by one!