Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am 
Premium User

I am eagerly waiting on my pair to arrive, more than any speaker in recent history regardless of the price tag. My wife...not so much, trypophobia maybe? An honest opinion good or bad will be shared once they come in.

This thread will be for Tekton owners to share impressions and associated gear knowledge.

http://www.tektondesign.com/double-impact.html

Attachments:
doubleimpactgray_orig.jpg
doubleimpactgray_orig.jpg [ 63.47 KiB | Viewed 4216 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 am 

I'm sure you read the review by Terry London. Not sure what to make of them myself, but looking forward to your impressions. TBH I gave them some thought, but settled for the Spatial M3TS for various reasons and couldn't be happier.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 am 

James_W wrote:
I am eagerly waiting on my pair to arrive, more than any speaker in recent history regardless of the price tag. My wife...not so much, trypophobia maybe? An honest opinion good or bad will be shared once they come in.

This thread will be for Tekton owners to share impressions and associated gear knowledge.

cant wait to know if they are worth the hype!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am 
Premium User

In my experience nothing has lived up to the hype in this hobby. I'd certainly love to be proven wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 pm 

James_W wrote:

Hi James,

I recently purchased a pair of Pendragons, the 8ohm version with the mundorf silver cap upgrade, they arrived June 16.
I love them and it was love at first listen.
They are very detailed, sound great at low volume and can rock with ease.
It is the beautiful, real sounding bass reproduction that make these speakers stars. The 10"woofers provide punch, and reach low.
I find distance from rear wall placement to be a consideration, being rear ported. I am getting some boomy-ness (not often, it seems to have alot to do with the materials production and things like that), but with some room tweaks I will have that under control
The double impacts, from what I have read, have a better bass response, more controlled, but still very 'there', very real, so you will be in for a treat.
I think one has to get use to the size, put it out of their mind and realize these are very delicate sophisticated sounding speakers. Just let the music wash over you. The speakers do disappear. I find myself not listening to the speaker, but the music and getting right into it, singing along, air guitaring and getting caught up in the moment.
The DI's are the word on the street, I'm interested to hear what you think once you have them.
I'm also curious to what intrigued you about them.
Paul

Last edited by scarbpaul12 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm 

Man I really thought long and hard about purchasing a pair of these. I'd love to hear your impressions once you've spent some time with them. I've heard nothing but great things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm 
Premium User

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Paul

I've been a Tekton fan since I had the OB 4.5's. Some people didn't like them but I found the sound to be amazing for the price tag. Although I have been watching Tekton closely products like the Lore just never caught my interest enough to take a chance.

I nearly bought a used pair of Enzo XL's when I was in Oregon 2 weeks ago. Listening to them was similar to your comments regarding size, the sound is quite different than the looks. They were refined and did everything well with a great sense of speed for a ported speaker. I bet in a blind test vs. pricier speakers the Enzo XL's would do very well. Sadly in the boxes they were too large for me to take home in the car I was driving.

After I got home I looked over the Tekton site and the Double Impacts look like a sure thing. The tweeter array is intriguing but looks pretty weird. Last time I bought in to a sure thing was with Acoustic Zen Adiago's which I ended up hating so we'll have to see how this plays out.

The Pendragons look great, did you buy them direct or used? I'm curious how long of a wait is involved after placing an order. What amp are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:56 pm 

I have a set of Lores, bought them maybe 3 years ago for the bedroom system, they work well with my lower powered tube amps as well as SS, could give a tad more bass, but great bang for the buck.
Look forward to your review.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 am 

James,

Really looking forward to your experiences with the DI. There is a "monster" thread on Audiogon and pretty much borders on a full-on rave.

How are they shipping to you? Any freight allowance from Tekton? What is your ETA?

Did you order with any upgrades?

Cool thing about this speaker model is the high efficiency, thus suitability with low power/flea power amplification. Apparently a popular pairing is with the whopping 1 watt output of a highly rated preamp/headphone amp.

Please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 am 
Premium User

starnail wrote:

How are they shipping to you? Any freight allowance from Tekton? What is your ETA?

Did you order with any upgrades?.

I went with the standard model/no upgrades for evaluation purposes. If I really like them I will pass on my stock pair to a fellow Cammer and get the upgraded DI. The Brilliance model looks interesting as well.

Shipping was a very reasonable $200 USD bringing the total to $4,300 CAD so far. No word on the shipping method being used or turnaround time.

Other members are welcome to come by and test the speakers. Even better if someone has a tube amp so we can do a comparison vs. a ModWright KWI 200. I'd like to try Class D, preferably Hypex based from Nord. A head to head with my reference Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A's is also possible.

I bought reasonably priced speaker cables (Anticables 3.1) to use with the DI's. Hopefully they arrive around the same time.

Last edited by James_W on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 am 

James_W wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
Paul

I've been a Tekton fan since I had the OB 4.5's. Some people didn't like them but I found the sound to be amazing for the price tag. Although I have been watching Tekton closely products like the Lore just never caught my interest enough to take a chance.

I nearly bought a used pair of Enzo XL's when I was in Oregon 2 weeks ago. Listening to them was similar to your comments regarding size, the sound is quite different than the looks. They were refined and did everything well with a great sense of speed for a ported speaker. I bet in a blind test vs. pricier speakers the Enzo XL's would do very well. Sadly in the boxes they were too large for me to take home in the car I was driving.

After I got home I looked over the Tekton site and the Double Impacts look like a sure thing. The tweeter array is intriguing but looks pretty weird. Last time I bought in to a sure thing was with Acoustic Zen Adiago's which I ended up hating so we'll have to see how this plays out.

The Pendragons look great, did you buy them direct or used? I'm curious how long of a wait is involved after placing an order. What amp are you using?

Yes I bought them direct. Spoke to Eric on the phone and put my money down.
They came up via fed ex. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of days for tekton to put the order together and one week to get them to Toronto.
I'm using a celeste 4150se (ss) amp. I haven't heard them played through lower watt amps, but they do seem to enjoy power. If you have amp options at your disposal, I would be interested to hear what the results were.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 pm 
Premium User

Order was placed on the 5th, shipped out on the 7th with anticipated delivery day on the 13th via FedEx. Damn that was fast!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:46 pm 

I did some reading on audiogon on the Double Impacts...sounds like a hell of speaker for the money
One owner of the DI was saying he liked them better than Revel Salons that he also owned
The drivers don't look real high end, how can they make the speaker sound so good

I also read about a DI SE version for $7500 that is going to have all scanspeak (I think) drivers
Oh and also coming is a smaller ULFBERHT for around $7500 too
The seven tweeter arrangement or the totl speaker with 15 tweeters seems kinda hokey, but it must work

Hey James aren't you worried about the size, 54"x12"x17.75" is a pretty big speaker
I like the smaller Electron version, but (pardon the pun) maybe it doesn't have the same impact as the Double Impact

Anyways I cant wait for your review on the DI...its either major hype or a giant killer of a speaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:27 pm 
Premium User

darcman wrote:
The drivers don't look real high end, how can they make the speaker sound so good

Hey James aren't you worried about the size, 54"x12"x17.75" is a pretty big speaker

Anyways I cant wait for your review on the DI...its either major hype or a giant killer of a speaker

Spatial Audio uses pretty cheap drivers and they sound good, some Totem as well. I wonder if the 10 inch bass units in the DI are made by eminence?

I just sent Proac D18's to a new home and to my ears they were probably the best and most musical speaker I've heard under 5k. Why I mention this is I assume DI's will have a hard time following the D18's for pure listening pleasure. They eclipse the ProAc's in size and have 9 more drivers per speaker so they should do other things better.

My main speakers are 70"x16"x29" so size isn't an issue but space will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 pm 

My main speakers are 70"x16"x29" so size isn't an issue but space will be.

Wow those are huge...ya ok so no worries with the DI at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next