Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: totem forests
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:46 am 

I have a pair driven by an Arcam a49.Happy enough for now but interested to know what others use to drive them and their impressions of the combination.
Had I any brains Id leave well enough alone but I expect others will know the seductive pull of "what if" !
At any rate wd be interested to read and profit from others views.
For the record dont play much vinyl -run my cds either through my arcam udp or ir dac 11 via coax.
At any rate thanks for responses in advance

Post subject: Re: totem forests
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 pm 

Set yourself a budget you're comfortable with and stick to it. Otherwise it gets out of control REALLY fast. Are you looking for a power amp or a different integrated?

But give yourself enough of a budget that an upgrade will actually be that. People lose so much money on sidegrades or minute upgrades that if they waited longer on a bigger budget they'd have spent less overall and ended up with an actual step-up.

Oh, are you looking for new or are used options a possibility?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

FEED ME MORE :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm 

Maybe its best if I say what Ive got now -which is an improvement on what went before.
In my room with the equipment mentioned I get good left -right soundstage and (it seems to me ) decent front to back imaging. Bass is fine -if I needed more Id get a sub but dont think I do and like as not if I did might add room node issues.
Thinking if I wish to expand soundstage depth tubes might be the route.
Can spend up to the cost of the arcam if I change but Id need to see obvious benefit to go higher whether new or used.
That said your comments are spot on in my experience -there is little point in spending much on sideways moves .
If I added up the costs of my prior amplifications Id have done better to go low end save up and splurge out when I could rather than to do what I did (and I expect most of us have done).
Of course the point is how much better is the new (and likely more expensive)
Its better to have a clear end goal ,cost it out and wait till you can get there than to approach it crabwise but then thats the world most of us live in.
Of curse maybe I should also mention Ive crossed the 70yr mark and that being so there isnt much time left to repair a wrong move.
When I was younger there was plenty of time but of course little financial resources.
At any rate where I now am Im quite happy to stay with what I have convinced that something else might be better yet-which I expect is a disease we all share.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

I imagine the a49 is plenty enough. I run Forests with a Pass-X250 (out of a Modwright preamp). It runs, I think first 40 watts class A and AB output is about 250. I never get it out of Class A running plenty loud enough in a good sized space.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:56 pm 

Happy with my Bryston BP25 4BST Forest combo and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

It depends on the type of music you play. If you listen to jazz or acoustic 200 watts is plenty. If you listen to rock or electronic then your Forests will want more watts.

I went anthem 225 > 3BST > 4BST. The bass really came to life with the 300 watt 4BST. The other amps strained to produce good clean accurate bass . I remember thinking if I listened to just jazz I'd would of been happy with the 150 watt 3BST.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:00 pm 

Totems are power hungry kit - full stop. I had the TOTEM ARROS and FORESTS simultaneously in a prior system powered by the predecessor ARCAM FMJ A32 integrated amp.

It was fine for my ARROS but left me wanting with the FORESTS.

Biwiring didn't help one iota, so I went to a full bi-amped rig with the introduction of the ARCAM FMJ A25 power amp driving the woofer and the A32 powering the tweeters.

Only Then did I get the FORESTS to open up fully.

I also found that with this rig,

(1) upgrading the speaker cables from TOTEM TRESS to the better quality and thicker (3.5 mm diameter) ATLAS ASCENT 3.5 cables now driving the woofers instead of the prior TOTEM TRESS (they were still linked to the tweeters) improved the lower midrange and bass slam further.
(2) upgrading the ICs to ATLAS NAVIGATOR all-Cu (or better) ICs all around was well worth the cost for the improvement.

FWIW....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:11 pm 

Stone wrote:

Stone is sooo unique the way he says things... lol ... but so right on the spot on this one... Its only when you feed those with MORE good juice that you realize how good they can be. Had Model 1, Model One Sig, Forests and Mani 2 and they all the same... FEED ME MORE... I agree the Mani 2 is the hungrier of the batch because of the isobaric config. I now have Dynaudio (C1 Sig) and its the same, the more good power, the best they are. IMO of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

Yippedidou wrote:
Stone wrote:

Stone is sooo unique the way he says things... lol ... but so right on the spot on this one... Its only when you feed those with MORE good juice that you realize how good they can be. Had Model 1, Model One Sig, Forests and Mani 2 and they all the same... FEED ME MORE... I agree the Mani 2 is the hungrier of the batch because of the isobaric config. I now have Dynaudio (C1 Sig) and its the same, the more good power, the best they are. IMO of course.

Have Model 1's, Middle and Mini T's and ATC SCM 40's, had Mani 2's. All sound good with 60 watts, all sound great with big power. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 pm 
Premium User

Totem is one of two brands that sound great paired with the A49. YBA power/pre higher up the food chain would be an improvement but why spend that much when you could upgrade speakers. IMO keep what you have if you plan on keeping the Forests and experiment with sources if you want to refine the sound.

Last edited by James_W on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 pm 
Premium User

Stone wrote:

Attachment:
feed_me__seymour__by_memorypalace-d6t9l4e.jpg
feed_me__seymour__by_memorypalace-d6t9l4e.jpg [ 245.53 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:52 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
I imagine the a49 is plenty enough. I run Forests with a Pass-X250 (out of a Modwright preamp). It runs, I think first 40 watts class A and AB output is about 250. I never get it out of Class A running plenty loud enough in a good sized space.

Which preamp? I recently acquired a XA30.5 powering some Arros with a PS Audio DirectStream Jr as a dac and preamp and the sound is stunning, I've never heard them sound this good. Just for fun I want to add a quality tube preamp to see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 pm 

msommers wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

Which preamp? I recently acquired a XA30.5 powering some Arros with a PS Audio DirectStream Jr as a dac and preamp and the sound is stunning, I've never heard them sound this good. Just for fun I want to add a quality tube preamp to see what happens.

SWLP 9.0se with phono and outboard tube rectified power supply.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm 

[quote="ae86"]Happy with my Bryston BP25 4BST Forest combo and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

totally agree... something to do with the whole Canadian speaker renaissance that began in Ottawa,
with Dr.Floyd Toole and his ground-breaking work at his National Research Council speaker labs,
using mostly (by default) Canadian made amplifiers like Bryston's early Pro gear...

it just seems that there is a natural symbiosis between Totem/Mirage/PSB/Paradigm/Energy speakers and Bryston amps...

Have had all of those above mentioned speakers and they never sang better than when paired with their Bryston soulmates :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:01 am 

msommers wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

Wow...ARROS connected to a PASS labs, XA30.5....this is so fascinating to me! It just goes to show, source important, good clean power important....and the speakers maybe least important?

Whenever I get the upgrade itch, speakers are usually first on my list.

Would love to hear some totems on my system...P8&W8 from Simaudio...wonder what the SKY or element series would sound like??? Has anyone tested the SKY?

Cheers