Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Coral Beta Owners
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:42 am 
Premium User

Just wondering how many out there are using Coral Beta's (8's or 10"s) and in what configuration/boxes. I'm using Beta 10B's in Compact Back Loading Jensen Folded Horn cabinets designed in 1952 with excellent results. Bass is supplemented with Philips 12" in sealed cabinets and high frequency is augmented with EV T350's. Curious to see how other owners are using them.

Attachments:
1496959460524-2034203055.jpg
1496959460524-2034203055.jpg [ 293.13 KiB | Viewed 1200 times ]

Last edited by thermionic on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Coral Beta Owners
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 am 

Beta 8's in OB with 15" eminence beta's, don't think I'll ever sell these speakers! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:23 am 

bolly wrote:
Beta 8's in OB with 15" eminence beta's, don't think I'll ever sell these speakers! 8)

That is a popular combination, not only with the original Coral drivers but also with the modern Tang Band and Voxativ interpretations of that driver design. PureAudioProject of Israel has been producing commercial versions of that combo with modern drivers for a few years now probably due to the fact that the Corals have been out of production for about 3 decades now.

Attachment:
File comment: Coral Beta 8
af9c2c8dd8a428e05a71b19c57618ba9.jpg
af9c2c8dd8a428e05a71b19c57618ba9.jpg [ 40.66 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Tang Band W8-1808
Tang-Band-W8-1808-in-PureAudioProject-Open-Baffle-Speakers.jpg
Tang-Band-W8-1808-in-PureAudioProject-Open-Baffle-Speakers.jpg [ 97.45 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Voxativ AC-1.6
AC-1.6_schraeg_oben_web.jpg
AC-1.6_schraeg_oben_web.jpg [ 312.76 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: PureAudioProject Trio15TB
Trio15TB-Neo-Open-Baffle-Speakers-Ole.jpg
Trio15TB-Neo-Open-Baffle-Speakers-Ole.jpg [ 682.15 KiB | Viewed 1428 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am 

curious how this thread pans out, betas are pretty rare speakers and I really wonder how they compare with the latest and supposedly greatest :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 am 
Premium User

bolly wrote:
curious how this thread pans out, betas are pretty rare speakers and I really wonder how they compare with the latest and supposedly greatest :P

Heres what I found on the 10B's. If you can read German.

https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/datenbler ... l-beta-10b

Rough translation of the test conclusions:

The CORAL Beta 10B is an exceptional wide-band - even according to today's standards. The efficiency is very high, the frequency response below 30 ° sensationally linear and the distortion factor is also surprisingly low for such a large diaphragm. Its only real weakness is the membrane resonance at 2.1 kHz which oscillates extremely long. Here one should experiment with a specially adapted barrier circuit.

Comparing the CORAL Beta 10B with the currently best known 25er wide tapes, the AUDIO NIRVANA AN10 Super, the Beta 10B definitely has the much more balanced frequency response. In the distortion factor K3 +, the AN10 Super has the nose ahead, especially at lower sound pressure levels. And also in the bass range, the AN10 Super is content with a much smaller case - if it is to be Bassreflex.

Only: the beta 10 B is almost 30 years old! This makes it clear why the Beta 10 B - rightly so - has a legendary reputation. For owners of small tube amplifiers with single output power, the CORAL Beta 10 B is made. Who has a couple of beta 10 B does not give it away. And then when it becomes expensive - for the buyer. Prices of 500 € and 750 $ / pair are not a rarity. Maybe you should clean up the roof again. , ,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 am 

thermionic wrote:
bolly wrote:

Heres what I found on the 10B's. If you can read German.

https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/datenbler ... l-beta-10b

Rough translation of the test conclusions:

The CORAL Beta 10B is an exceptional wide-band - even according to today's standards. The efficiency is very high, the frequency response below 30 ° sensationally linear and the distortion factor is also surprisingly low for such a large diaphragm. Its only real weakness is the membrane resonance at 2.1 kHz which oscillates extremely long. Here one should experiment with a specially adapted barrier circuit.

Comparing the CORAL Beta 10B with the currently best known 25er wide tapes, the AUDIO NIRVANA AN10 Super, the Beta 10B definitely has the much more balanced frequency response. In the distortion factor K3 +, the AN10 Super has the nose ahead, especially at lower sound pressure levels. And also in the bass range, the AN10 Super is content with a much smaller case - if it is to be Bassreflex.

Only: the beta 10 B is almost 30 years old! This makes it clear why the Beta 10 B - rightly so - has a legendary reputation. For owners of small tube amplifiers with single output power, the CORAL Beta 10 B is made. Who has a couple of beta 10 B does not give it away. And then when it becomes expensive - for the buyer. Prices of 500 € and 750 $ / pair are not a rarity. Maybe you should clean up the roof again. , ,

Just FYI, that test article is from 7 years ago, so the Coral Beta 10 would be over 35 years old and the AN10 Super would be at least 7. Prices have only gone up since then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:

Just FYI, that test article is from 7 years ago, so the Coral Beta 10 would be over 35 years old and the AN10 Super would be at least 7. Prices have only gone up since then.

Fully aware on all points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm 

beta 8a just listed!!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -speakers/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 am 

3 hrs later beta 8a pair sold!!

maybe the new owner will chime in

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 am 
Premium User

bolly wrote:
3 hrs later beta 8a pair sold!!

maybe the new owner will chime in

Friend of mine bought them. I know at least two other people apart from him using Beta's. Both here on CAM. One using 10's and the other using 8's.
Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 am 

sweet! hope they perform well and he enjoys them as much as I do mine!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 am 

Proud owner of Beta 10's in rear loaded horn cabinets cloned from original Coral plans.

Unlike the original chipboard Coral cabinets though, I precision CNC machined my cabinet panels from baltic birch plywood and polymer damped all cavities and interior walls.

Results are spectacular. Huge pinpoint imaging, super sensitive (they love low power tube amps), no crossover to muddy things up, fast and finessed.
Really tough to find anything to criticize.
Ok, they don't do wall shaking subwoofer bass, but bass is certainly not lacking and what you hear is clean, tight and musical.

I'll try to post pics tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm 

jerr2501, can't wait to see pics!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm 
Premium User

I have two Beta8s - but I don't think I'm ever going to get around to building a cabinet.
I got them in a pair of pretty beat up rear-loaded horns and they were a thing of beauty to hear!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 pm 

I am the one that bought the eights that we're up last night. I bought a pair of Oris 150 horns with Fostex 208 Sigma drivers. Hooked them up and currently augmenting the bass with a pair of Kinergetic research subs sponsored by thermionic. The sound pretty spectacular as it is with the Fostex but I have a pair of AER drivers coming along with the coral eights. It'll be a heck of a shoot out!

-- 08 Jun 2017 18:06 --

Four people drooling over the thread there is a pair of 10Bs in cabinets for sale in BC. You have to want them pretty bad though! :shock: