Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No love for GoldenEar?
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm 

i was going to use "The cult of GoldenEar".... :wink:

So I was rattling around in a fairly odiferous plane recently checking out the Absolute Sound 2017 guide to loudspeakers and they had a quick blurb on the GoldenEar Triton Reference - only $9000usd for a speaker with a pile of drivers, active sub, 56bit dsp, etc. Pretty inexpensive for their flagship speaker...

It got me thinking that the various GE model reviews I've seen have always been pretty positive, but that I rarely see them mentioned in the CAM pages, even as a recommendation to someone making a post asking for speaker suggestions, nor can I recall seeing any/many for sale here...

I can only recall seeing a pair in person once, several years ago on static display at Just Hifi in Kingston and, call me shallow, but I remember being very underwhelmed by the visual presentation. On the other hand, I have Maggie 1.6s, which aren't a styling coup, and ASWs, which are slightly more so...

So while I sit here hoping the Sens can rebound from Sunday's debacle, I'm curious as to the esteemed member's opinions/experiences of the sound, perceived value, aesthetics etc. of the GE product line.

Go Sens, save us from the Cindy Crybabies!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm 

I have demoed the Triton 7 and the smaller sub. At $1400 at the time the 7 gave a lot, but just not my preference. I went back to purchase the FF3 but the dealer had sold it and ordering another would have been a fair bit more as the dollar dropped.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:37 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I can only say from my own point that they have been one of my better selling speakers and many who have purchased them from me have upgraded in the line. No they are not visual stunners but if they were they would be 30-40% + more money. I have been using them in my personal HT setup for 6 or so years since the first Triton 2 arrived.
No they may not be for everyone but either are my Soltanus Panels , or single driver set ups , Klipsch Horns etc. The GoldenEar's offer big sound , very good imaging at a fair price and when there is an issue the company is great to deal with and any warranty issue's are handles quickly. That is my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:30 pm 

I just replaced my Flagship Polk LSiM 707's, 705's, and 706 Center...my new Goldenear T7's, xxl Center, and Aon2 rears, and dual Goldenear FF5 subs are definitely an upgrade for HT movie watching! The xxl Center is extremely detailed and the ribbon tweeters across all speakers also reveal exceptional detail...i find with the Goldenears the manufacturer does not spend $$ on fancy cabinets and enclosures but more so on the science of pure clean audio...the Goldenears have my vote!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:09 pm 

I have not listened to them myself but one audio nut I know, has boatloads of gear says they are the best he has ever owned..not sure what model.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 pm 

I've heard the Triton One in two different setups and venues. I disliked them and thought they are a very poor value. Poor imaging. Bloated bass. Smeared, ill defined.

As for aesthetics, I thought they would look right at home on the star ship Enterprise.

They remind me of something put together by Parts Express. Maybe great for the home theater crowd but for music they just don't cut it for me.

What's amazing is the universal accolades they've received in the audio press. I shake my head trying to understand why so many reviewers love them because they simply
don't sound very good. Maybe most of the reviewers are shills for the industry.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:50 am 

I have not seen any dealers in the GTA. There was one in Oakville, but their main focus is on home installs. They no longer have proper listening rooms.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:31 am 

canuck1867 wrote:
I've heard the Triton One in two different setups and venues. I disliked them and thought they are a very poor value. Poor imaging. Bloated bass. Smeared, ill defined.

As for aesthetics, I thought they would look right at home on the star ship Enterprise.

They remind me of something put together by Parts Express. Maybe great for the home theater crowd but for music they just don't cut it for me.

What's amazing is the universal accolades they've received in the audio press. I shake my head trying to understand why so many reviewers love them because they simply
don't sound very good. Maybe most of the reviewers are shills for the industry.

I have a buddy who has probably $100k worth of various speakers...Monitor Golds etc.
His goto speaker right now are his Goldenear Triton 1's...he also has a full 7.2 GE system for his 20x40 media room...I auditioned them a couple weeks ago in his room...these are serious speakers folks, a lot of bang for the buck...I can completely understand why they are so well reviewed...

I just upgraded to T5's in the front, T7's in the rear, xxl Center and dual FF5's...completely smokes my Polk LSiM setup which retailed at $12k...the local dealer is awesome to deal with also!

Last edited by Asharma on Sat May 27, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:57 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
I have not seen any dealers in the GTA. There was one in Oakville, but their main focus is on home installs. They no longer have proper listening rooms.

You can hear Golden Ear at Lipton's Audio Video in Newmarket. They also carry Paradigm, B&W, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:35 am 

Hi,

canuck1867 wrote: 'What's amazing is the universal accolades they've received in the audio press. I shake my head trying to understand why so many reviewers love them because they simply don't sound very good. Maybe most of the reviewers are shills for the industry.'

+ Bingo! Yet another audiophile has a momentary epiphany. He states; 'they simply don't sound very good'. Always trust that first impression. There are dozens of expensive speakers out there right now, and there have been hundreds more over the decades, that are sold for big bucks to audiophile wanna be's with tin ears who seek to impress their friends by buying large ugly furniture. It all ends up the same way eventually, in the land fills. These are the Edsels of the audiophile world.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:33 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

canuck1867 wrote: 'What's amazing is the universal accolades they've received in the audio press. I shake my head trying to understand why so many reviewers love them because they simply don't sound very good. Maybe most of the reviewers are shills for the industry.'

+ Bingo! Yet another audiophile has a momentary epiphany. He states; 'they simply don't sound very good'. Always trust that first impression. There are dozens of expensive speakers out there right now, and there have been hundreds more over the decades, that are sold for big bucks to audiophile wanna be's with tin ears who seek to impress their friends by buying large ugly furniture. It all ends up the same way eventually, in the land fills. These are the Edsels of the audiophile world.

Cheers,
David Neice

No you cannot trust the first impression. Listening in showrooms ironically is probably the worst place to listen to speakers next to audio conventions. I have heard $100,000 speakers sound absolutely dreadful and then having bought them, sound amazing in my home. You have to work to put together a synergistic system. With that said, I will say the Triton speakers besides being finicky with regards to setup have a major flaw. From the midrange up they can sound very good and they are imaging champions, but the flaw lies in the bass range. If you are a serious listener, you will be disappointed with the bass range. While there is a lot of it, perhaps too much, it is somewhat sluggish, lacking true speed and snap. It requires a really good room and a really good amp to ameliorate this problem. I suspect it was one reason the company dropped the Triton 2 and brought out the plus in order to lower cross-over point and rework the DSP. The Reference I have yet to hear in a home environment so I can only say it is better, but will reserve judgement on it's price/performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 am 
Premium User

buybye88 wrote:
+ Bingo! Yet another audiophile has a momentary epiphany. He states; 'they simply don't sound very good'. Always trust that first impression.

When I was inexperienced I would trust my first impression. I HATED ATC and other class leaders when I first heard them. Trust extended listening in a familar environment, preferably your own room.

I was surprised to read canuck1867's comment on the thread about poor imaging. From my limited experience with Golden Ear one thing I thought they did very well was imaging. My only complaint with them is aesthetics.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 am 

I have heard $100,000 speakers sound absolutely dreadful and then having bought them, sound amazing in my home. [/quote]

Wow, it's a bit unusual for someone to buy a $100,000 speakers that sounded "absolutely dreadful".
Would you mind sharing what kind of speakers are these?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:23 pm 

shel243 wrote:
i was going to use "The cult of GoldenEar".... :wink:

So I was rattling around in a fairly odiferous plane recently checking out the Absolute Sound 2017 guide to loudspeakers and they had a quick blurb on the GoldenEar Triton Reference - only $9000usd for a speaker with a pile of drivers, active sub, 56bit dsp, etc. Pretty inexpensive for their flagship speaker...

It got me thinking that the various GE model reviews I've seen have always been pretty positive, but that I rarely see them mentioned in the CAM pages, even as a recommendation to someone making a post asking for speaker suggestions, nor can I recall seeing any/many for sale here...

I can only recall seeing a pair in person once, several years ago on static display at Just Hifi in Kingston and, call me shallow, but I remember being very underwhelmed by the visual presentation. On the other hand, I have Maggie 1.6s, which aren't a styling coup, and ASWs, which are slightly more so...

So while I sit here hoping the Sens can rebound from Sunday's debacle, I'm curious as to the esteemed member's opinions/experiences of the sound, perceived value, aesthetics etc. of the GE product line.

Go Sens, save us from the Cindy Crybabies!

Yeh, the Sen's coaching staff lost #-7. The team are a genuine, offensive threat --but sitting back enabling Pitt's to set-up and unleash their own terror proved fatal. As I suspected it would watching the last two games. If Sen's 'forced' the Pens "D", no offensive threat could emerge --as regularly as it did when played neutral/ defensively by Ottawa. A major coaching blunder. Should be fired.

Good point on the GE's: I finally heard them last year after all the buzz I almost laughed/cried myself out of the sound room. (And afterwards the local salesman stating the "press" set expectations to high, and agreed it's nothing special.). One of Totem's "Metal" series simply annihilated the sound of the Great Exaggerations Model-3i's and/or Two's (latest series).
The One's had some potential, but the general sloppy/cheap manufacturing was clearly evident when seen in person.

Absolutely any Totem "Metal" series (I'm not a particular fan of Totem's), Revel, Brit-brands, Reference 3A's are simply more of the 'real deal'. I can probably list another dozen brands that are clearly far superior.

I wanted to send Sandy (Gross) some blunt observations I've come to recognize in the industry, but restraint was suggested. I still have that e-mail. It wasn't nasty --just firm. And nothing personal.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has auditioned the 'powered' series. Admittedly, the audition was short. But, with enough experience, listener's can pick out objectionable flaws near immediately --and it was the Two's/Three's poor bass driver integration with mid-driver (also crossed-over too high at 150-Hz) along with the oval shaped (6"X 9") woofers that must have contributed to this poor transitioning from woofer to midrange driver. The fact that the internal (speaker) amplifiers amplify the first few (three) octaves was clearly audible as well. It simply sounded "mechanical" in this supremely important frequency range. Put another way, the internal amps are no Bryston's/Classe's --and one can painfully hear the inferiority.
In the model One's, 100 Hz. was chosen. The improvements are easily recognizable, but ideally should be set even lower --80 Hz the highest. Naturally, the mid-range driver must work a bit harder (depending on filter slope employed), but with an electronic cross-over in place, both frequency and amplitude changes can be easily accomplished even when/if higher-order slopes are chosen, with minimal sonic consequence.

But power handling would decrease slightly as distortion increased (with a lower cross-over point), while no doubt improving SQ, the power handling reductions --from increased driver excursion (distortion), GE gladly and predictably chose safe instead of ultimate sound quality.
Furthermore, the drive-units should be bolted into the baffle with 6-8 "bolts" --not wood screws, yet another cheap construction/build detail.

Back to the poor bass/midrange integration. And loudspeaker positioning. It immediately reminded me of Sandy's preferred extensive toe-in --and for those reasons described above I'd suspect.

All-in-all, there are far more refined transducers by long-standing and respected loudspeaker manufacturer's.

The lack of refinement, shouldn't come as a surprise, realizing Mr. Gross (for most of his career) was involved with company's that spent their time and energy advocating (and of course building) bi-polar loudspeakers. This he did for some 30-years --with several company's. No doubt he made a few bucks along the way and felt, perhaps his last "calling card" would again be to 'stun' the industry (and naive listener's) into submission by an all-out marketing/advertising blitz thrusted into prominence by follow-the-leader (mob-rule) type magazine interests.

It was in fact, one respected reviewer that spoke highly of the One's that finally piqued my interest for a listen. (In fairness, some of these reviewer's clearly and categorically claimed the One's were the model possessed of some musicality). In any case, there was absolutely nothing special about these --even the HF driver was not well integrated.

Back to the inquiry/post, I think simply that Canadians are not that easily taken in as others.

Enough said.

pj

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:25 pm 

Hi,

oddio1 wrote: 'No you cannot trust the first impression.'

Well, maybe you don't trust first impressions, but I sure do. If I walk into an audio emporium and a system on display sounds like crap - then it is crap. If an audio retailer can't figure out how to make the systems and components they sell sound like something worth buying then who on earth can? They are in the business for god's sake. Sure, maybe you have to be a bit more forgiving at shows because of room problems and bleed through, but when something sounds like a duck, even in a hockey arena, then it is a duck. Not trusting your instincts and your first impressions leads to all sorts of fantasies, like imagining copper wire requires hundreds of hours of break-in time, or going through dozens of amps looking for 'synergy' with some poorly designed but impressive looking furniture speaker. Does anyone really think that professionals in the sound studio business would buy any of these furniture speakers so lavishly praised monthly by the audiophile rags. No, they are going to get their hands on time proven designs where every pair sounds exactly like the next set of serial numbers. Why? Because their reputation rests on knowing exactly what is on that digital file they are engineering.
Life is short, make the most of it.

Cheers,
David Neice