Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 am 

I responded to an ad for a vintage stereo for sale. The seller who has 2 feedbacks asked that I pay interact transfer and replied to me directly via email and not via the Canuck Audio Mart thread that I started with him. Is that a red flag? Please advise.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 am 

That's how it works when you reply to an ad, the member gets notified by CAM, then he responds via e-mail.
The only thing that I see is you are a new member so you have zero feedback on CAM. At least he/she has 2 feedback's.

If you don't feel comfortable with the situation, if the member is in Toronto suggest in person pick up inspection and if you're satisfied, pay in cash.

The other option could be paypal but I am not too familiar with that.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 am 

I have bought off a couple of new members with 0 or 1 feedback, via emt. There is an element of risk in all transactions but we all have to start without feedback at some point, and he may be feeling a little nervous of you too as a new member. I echo the last comment, arrange a pickup if that increases your comfort level. Otherwise take the chance. If all works well, make sure you post positive feedback so the next buyer or seller increases his comfort level.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 am 

Ask the seller to open a Paypal account...it takes only a few minutes..if he wants the sale...or move on. EMT is fine but there is no buyer or seller protection associated with this means of payment.

-- 19 May 2017 12:57 --

Ask the seller to open a Paypal account...it takes only a few minutes..if he wants the sale...or move on. EMT is fine but there is no buyer or seller protection associated with this means of payment.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:58 am 

I'd be suspicious and frankly would insist on using Paypal funded by a credit card.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:08 am 

If its reasonably local, just go pick it up and pay cash. There are paypal scams too, you might just want to wait.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 am 
Premium User

This seems to be a fairly typical situation where a complete Newbie to CAM transactions with no history of any kind makes his first contact with a seller who still has relatively few sales. We keep warning sellers to always ask new buyers with no history or feedback to pay via EMT and new buyers to always use PayPal and its protections when dealing with a new seller with no history or feedback.

The OP is doing his due diligence by asking questions and questioning how things work. The seller is just doing what we recommend with a new buyer with no history. No mystery here, no nefarious motives, just a fairly typical lack of experience dealing with CAM for the first time. We all had to start out the same way. We often forget that things that are obvious to longer time users aren't all that obvious to someone doing his first transaction on this site.

BTW, might be a good idea for everyone to take a quick refresher course on the way CAM works by reading the FAQ section (linked near the top, right hand corner of the screen).

CAM Moderation Team

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 am 

xr4ti wrote:
I'd be suspicious and frankly would insist on using Paypal funded by a credit card.

I don't think you should be suspicious just because the seller is asking for EMT. As a member with a good amount of feedback/time here, (I don't normally take Paypal) but would especially insist that a new member with no feedback pays via EMT. As a seller, its the only way to protect yourself as with Paypal, you can be scammed. In this case the seller only has 2 feedbacks, but I would assume the same logic & as OBI says, he is doing what is typically recommended on CAM.

To the OP, as said, if you can, just meet in person.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 am 

And there is always the old fashioned way...contact by phone. You are not limited to email. You'll be able add more information and form an opinion by talking with the seller.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 am 

alboettcher wrote:

I have paid via Paypal, but never received funds through Paypal.
How does this work? Does Paypal credit your Credit Card? Or are the funds received only to be used against further purchases?

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 am 

tonearmcobra wrote:
alboettcher wrote:

I have paid via Paypal, but never received funds through Paypal.
How does this work? Does Paypal credit your Credit Card? Or are the funds received only to be used against further purchases?

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

Not a dinosaur, you just have not sold through Paypal....payments made to your paypal account stay within that account unless you have them transferred into your bank account (which is associated with the PP acount). For me, I leave the money in the PP account and use it to fund future purchases....and that works best for PP because they don't pay you any interest on "your" money.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:54 am 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses and education. My initial concern was the seller wanting to use interact for payment because of the lack of buyer protection. One poster mentioned the seller might be concerned about me scamming him with Paypal. I've used Paypal to pay many times (ebay 80 ratings, 100%) and I assumed Paypal was way safer for both buyer AND seller, not just the buyer. For me, no buyer protection with interac - why would I use it?

The other concern (since answered) was the seller responding to me with a new gmail thread and not via the CAM email thread I received when I sent my initial query. But it sounds like that's OK protocol at CAM.

As for pick up, that's not possible as the item is a 10 hour drive away.

I think sadly I will pass on the listing.

Thanks for all your comments!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 am 

I'm relatively new to CAM and was also surprised at the preference to use e-transfers rather than Paypal. However, there are several reasons why it's the preferred method of payment (cheaper fees being one of them). I've now completed about 10 transactions, all flawlessly. I would not let the requirement to use Interac dissuade you from making a purchase. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 am 

There are always more potential questions in these things.

Is it $100 or $1000.

Is it to good to be true?

Are the pics authentic or can they be authenticated?

Will it cost as much to ship as purchase?

Will the guy pack it properly or will it get to you doa?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am 
Premium User

I think you'll be ok once you get more used to how it works. trust your gut and if something doesn't feel right.....walk away.

These are the kinds you try and avoid

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... radigm-s8/