Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm 

Hi all.
Not much experience with tonearms.
Some but not a pro by any means.
Well contemplating a decent Thorens Td 125 if it is there when i get paid but my question is could you guys suggest a reasonable arm .
By reasonable i could probably afford 450-550$ but down the road.
The deck looks good and i would probably have to cut or make an armboard but beyond that i got nothin.
I have had experience with an RB 250 modded slightly and a Sumiko MMT.
But thats it.
Any help is wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 pm 

The TD125 had two models, the MK1, and the MKII. The earlier one had the TP25 tonearm, although it also came fitted with an SME tonearm if one requested it. The updated version later on had the TP16MKI tonearm, also available with the SME tonearm if one wanted it. Both tonearm, the TP25, and the TP16 are excellent arm, and you will have to spend a lot to get better. The M eft in grams, effective mass, for the TP25 is 17.74g while the TP16MKI, if you have the TD125MKII, is 16.5g Both arms having a medium mass, will accept a variety of cartridges, including a few MC types.

I've the 125MKII with the TP16MKI tonearm with the TP60 head-shell, and if I wanted to get something else, I would go with an SME tonearm.

What I'm saying is, the RB 250, although an excellent tonearm, will not give you anything more than the two above mentioned tonearms, a different look maybe, but that's about it.

If the one you are considering doesn't have a tonearm, go with with the RB 250, although an SME arm would be the best to have with this table.

Both tables, the 125 and the 125MKII fitted with their original arms, will easily surpass any modern tables costing in the thousands.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm 

Thank you so much.
Let me ask you this
Do you think it would be worthwhile to buy the 125 for say 400 and try to wait for an arm?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm 

SME 3009 will be my choice for great combo.....

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

Chip, the SME 3009 would be a great fit for that turntable. Look at my gallery. There is a TD125 there fitted with an SME 3009. Email me directly if you need armboard s for that table. I might have some left over custom made up with acrylic when I restored my turntable.

The TD125 is one of the nicer thorens turntable. Very solidly built. If you have the patience, buy the table and figure out the arm later. Main thing is to get the turntable as original and as nice a shape as you can so it would be worth restoring.

Last edited by BusterDcat on Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:35 pm 

I will send you a PM...

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

Ok guys i get it... buy the table.
BusterD I'll def be in touch
Moinau thank you.

-- 18 May 2017 21:05 --

Have respinded to seller.
Now just waiting to hear back. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:16 pm 

Chip, I have a TD-150 MKII and I installed an Origin Live RB-250. It was a really nice match. The arm board is deadly simple to change/fabricate if needed, in my case, the changeover from the previous arm did not even require a new hole; a slight increase in hole diameter was all that was needed. Obviously if the arm board has an SME oval cutout, a new arm board is in order. If in decent shape, you have a good deal there for that 125. It is a good deck and easily updated to the new arm.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:17 pm 

Take a look at the pics. The first photo is the one showing the small plate under the top plate.

Tell him to reverse the top plate on top of the small one, and engage the power. Look at the shaft rotating, any oscillation seen from the shaft, means that the shaft is bent. My advice, pass, and wait for the next one.

Spinning a record on a platter with a bent shaft, you will always hear a rumble.

Attachments:
IMG_8761.JPG
IMG_8761.JPG [ 159.02 KiB | Viewed 1497 times ]
IMG_8751.JPG
IMG_8751.JPG [ 165.81 KiB | Viewed 1497 times ]
IMG_8755.JPG
IMG_8755.JPG [ 201.44 KiB | Viewed 1497 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm 

Hi Moinau.
I dont think you have the same ad but i will definitely check out the shaft in my one.

-- 18 May 2017 21:35 --

brownslane wrote:
Chip, I have a TD-150 MKII and I installed an Origin Live RB-250. It was a really nice match. The arm board is deadly simple to change/fabricate if needed, in my case, the changeover from the previous arm did not even require a new hole; a slight increase in hole diameter was all that was needed. Obviously if the arm board has an SME oval cutout, a new arm board is in order. If in decent shape, you have a good deal there for that 125. It is a good deck and easily updated to the new arm.

Thank you for that.
If i get the table i will be getting in touch with BusterD for a possible armboard.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:37 pm 

This is not an ad, this is my table, pictures that I took years ago to help someone else. Although the motor is slightly different on the MK1, you can do the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm 

Chip, if you can use the existing armboard no point wasting money on a new one. Think I saw the ad for the table. Comes with an SME armboard so it's probably easier to fine an SME arm to fit in there. the only reason I made these armboards was because the original armboard on my table was badly scratched up and ugly.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

the tendency when removing the top plate is to lift, and bring the plate toward you. Sometime one can strike the shaft if not careful enough.
Later one, Thorens added a shaft protector on the other models in the following years, like on my TD145 and 160, preventing any further mishaps hapening.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 pm 

I own a 125mkII and i have install a Jelco 750e on it and i am more than happy with the result, patience to get a really good arm will bring some reward, i also bougth an acrylic armboard.
Attachment:
20170219_113008.jpg
20170219_113008.jpg [ 322.17 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
This will be my last turntable and i just love it!

Attachments:
20170219_113055.jpg
20170219_113055.jpg [ 381.74 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm 

I had a Rabco Linear on my TD125, there was a bearing in the bottom of spindle and the sound was the best I have ever had, I miss it so. It started with a Stanton cartridge, then a Grace F9R and then an SAE 1000E, (a bit light so weight had to be added). The table was always wall mounted, a hinged piece of plywood, supported by chain from the studs to the forward end of the base, this was all that was available in the day. I eventually replaced the base on the turntable and drilled out holes under the spring cups and was able to easily adjust the suspension without moving anything. This was always my favorite table, but the Rabco linear arm fell apart to the point where I could not put it back together and it was replaced with a Grace 707 and it was never quite the same. I would have it back in a heartbeat if I could.