Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

Thought I'd contemplate adding something cooler to run in the summer months. Save some a/c grunt. Thought a McIntosh integrated would be interesting except their price is almost foolhardy considering the limiting use. Sugden is another I'd like to try but class A runs as hot as tubes I'm guessing. That might be silly. Then I wondered what other's might be doing under similar circumstances. If you are like-minded, then what are you using?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

I run a tube amp all year long. I'm not necessarily concerned about the heat it generates, rather I don't like the extra fan noise of the A/C when it's running.

Sure the fan runs in the winter too but I'm not concerned as much for some unrealistic reason.

I do use my old Realistic reciever more often in the summer (in the same room) or I'm listening to some other stereo outside. Like right now!

Last edited by Leency on Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm 
Premium User

If reducing the load on the AC is a concern, you should look into something that runs really cool in addition to sounding good like a vintage Sunfire 300X2. Runs stone cold at insane listening levels; the thing that heats up the most is the little orange light that illuminates the Joule Meter.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

I have an old Akai PS120M power amp that runs cool.
Even if I play the music loud it only gets lukewarm.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
Premium User

My main amp is a Luxman L-590A II class A that runs as hot as any tube amp I've owned. For the summer I had been using an Exposure 3010 S2 that has now been replaced with a Modwright KWI 200.

A 3000 series Exposure (Don't bother with 2000 series if you have the choice) or Roksan Caspian M2 are great for summer use as they are pretty darn satisfying and won't break the bank. They will power most speakers with ease.

Last edited by James_W on Thu May 18, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm 

Gosh I love recommendations. Keeps me busy reading for hours. Can't get enough. Keep'm coming if you got'm.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm 

You see the trick is to get your room super cool and when you turn on the music you turn off the AC. I have both tube pre and power amps and I listen to music all Summer. I don't however spend much more than 4-5 hrs. because I do like to do other things especially in the Summer. To me Winter is hi-fi season Mid-November to April 1.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm 

I would have thought if someone wanted to save on hydro, a pair of mono amps wouldn't be comparable to what the AC is drawing..... no?

My A/C slams my hydro bill. Can't say I've noticed much hydro usage from my gear.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm 

Too hot to run tube amps in the summer?? Don't understand that. I ran a pair of 845's twice a day for a couple of years without any strain on my cooling. Downsized to a smaller four tube system and have no worries about heat.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm 

Seriously, get some blinds...

There are so many things you can do to reduce heat gain in a house that would have more of an effect than not using a given audio amp.

Besides, unless you are running a 1980's green machine for your AC, the energy consumption is minimal and the additional load on your ac practically non exsisting. It's latent heat that taxes an ac...for example, body heat - humidity.

Here is what a typical mid 2000's ac consumes on average, say a vintage 2006 "10 Seer" comdensing unit - I'll use a 24000 btu unit (2ton) for the example.

24000/10=2,400 watts
2400/1000=2.4kw/hour

2.4x(your average cost per kw hour, say .16)=.38 cents per hour.
Figure out your cooling hours, say 650-750 in our area (pending habits); .38x650=$247 for the season.

Insert a late 2012-16 unit at "14 Seer" and we are talking $175.00

Don't fret. i don't.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm 

milesian wrote:
Too hot to run tube amps in the summer?? Don't understand that. I ran a pair of 845's twice a day for a couple of years without any strain on my cooling. Downsized to a smaller four tube system and have no worries about heat.

I guess that depends on if your place has AC... I used to switch between a Sonic Frontiers Line3/Classe DR-3 and a Bryston 26B/4B, winter to summer, because the basement just got too hot!

I've a much better listening space now, but still no AC, so efficiency remains something of a concern.

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:03 pm 

Well, I'm not horribly concerned about the money spent on energy usage. The kt88 amp is about 6 feet away from the thermostat on the same wall. Sometimes I think it causes the rest of the house to be colder than it should be but it's not that big a deal. It just seems silly coming inside on a very hot day and lighting up the tubes. It's a mind thing more than a money thing. I too use my system more in the dark cold months than during the summer ones. But for those periods of time I do turn it on in the summer I'm thinking a ss amp might be an interesting ulternaive. Ymmv.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

Happy to say I have a UREI 6150 (3 actually!), and other than the slight background mechanical hum from the transformers (any thoughts on mitigating this, as these studio amps were typically housed in racks?) the amp sounds sweet and never gets hot vs. my Class-A McAlister and/or Fisher SA-16. AC load is a concern as I am in an apartment which gets very hot/humid in summer even with two AC floor units at full-blast -- and a Hydro bill that doubles-up monthly with AC!
sc

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm 

Darren H wrote:
Well, I'm not horribly concerned about the money spent on energy usage. The kt88 amp is about 6 feet away from the thermostat on the same wall. Sometimes I think it causes the rest of the house to be colder than it should be but it's not that big a deal. It just seems silly coming inside on a very hot day and lighting up the tubes. It's a mind thing more than a money thing. I too use my system more in the dark cold months than during the summer ones. But for those periods of time I do turn it on in the summer I'm thinking a ss amp might be an interesting ulternaive. Ymmv.

Darren, you are my kind of guy! What you REALLY are saying is that you want to try out a new amp, but cannot find another reason to justify the purchase :P ....I don't need that excuse; I keep "stacking" my kids' systems to justify my new purchase...."Honey, now that the kid has my old Yamaha, I really think we should upgrade to something new"..... :lol: Now that the kids are all set up, I think the air conditioning bill might be a great idea!

Seriously though, there are some really great amps out there that run cool, sound great, and will give you the alternative heat generation. Best of luck with your choice!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Darren H wrote:

Darren, you are my kind of guy! What you REALLY are saying is that you want to try out a new amp, but cannot find another reason to justify the purchase :P ....I don't need that excuse; I keep "stacking" my kids' systems to justify my new purchase...."Honey, now that the kid has my old Yamaha, I really think we should upgrade to something new"..... :lol: Now that the kids are all set up, I think the air conditioning bill might be a great idea!

Seriously though, there are some really great amps out there that run cool, sound great, and will give you the alternative heat generation. Best of luck with your choice!

:lol: :lol: :lol:............. please don't share this with my wife.