Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:25 am 

I need to get an AV receiver to use in a room that is about 60 x 25...not in a home.
I have the 2 speakers already. It is a minimal setup so the receiver only needs to have the minimum number of channels ...as it is only stereo and maybe a centre and sub later..
It needs 3 hdmi inputs, a few rca inputs and common things that an AV receiver needs.

Also I need to buy it new from a dealer....up to $1100 Ca plus tax.
I want the best quality sound I can get ... are there any suggestions?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Would you be interested in an Anthem MRX-7000- not new but in great condition. $ 700
info@americanhifi.com
See review at:
http://hometheaterreview.com/anthem-mrx ... -reviewed/

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:35 pm 

Thanks for your offer ...but it is for a business and it needs to be new with receipt from a dealer.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 pm 

look at the Yamaha RX-V681. It has everything you currently require and also has spotify connect and a phono stage. It also can be found for about $600 CAD.

Cheers
Ray

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:24 am 

thanks...will check it out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:48 pm 

plguy wrote:
I need to get an AV receiver to use in a room that is about 60 x 25...not in a home.
I have the 2 speakers already. It is a minimal setup so the receiver only needs to have the minimum number of channels ...as it is only stereo and maybe a centre and sub later..
It needs 3 hdmi inputs, a few rca inputs and common things that an AV receiver needs.

Thanks

Can you let us know which speakers you have? This will allow for better tonal matching.Also I presume you are looking for a surround sound receiver, and plan to use it in 3.1 ch configuration?
Can you let us know what application this is for?
If this is for an office, will you have need to add other speakers in the future?
What video devices will you be connecting to, is the TV monitor a 4K model?
Would you like this receiver to have Network ability, or to interface with a wireless speaker system?
Will you need a 2nd. zone, to allow separate control in a separate area?
Depending on the speakers that you have, and those you plan to add, I might recommend the Marantz line very highly, as well as Denon.
Power quantity is irrelevant in this application, because this is an office, as opposed to features.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm 

Eli47 wrote:
plguy wrote:

Thanks

Can you let us know which speakers you have? This will allow for better tonal matching.Also I presume you are looking for a surround sound receiver, and plan to use it in 3.1 ch configuration?
If this is for an office, will you have need to add other speakers in the future?
Would you like this receiver to have Network ability, or to interface with a wireless speaker system?
Depending on the speakers that you have, and those you plan to add, I might recommend the Marantz line very highly, as well as Denon.
Power quantity is irrelevant in this application, because this is an office, as opposed to features.

Extremely valid questions before any suggestions can be made. If it indeed is an office, I would ad, use at least 4 sets of speakers to avoid hot spots, also, Denon has been lacking in quality lately although in the past I would recommend it highly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:12 am 

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/harman-kardon-avr-1610s-375-watt-5-1-channel-networked-av-receiver/
http://www.bosssound.ca/products/3259-harman-kardon-avr1610s-free-shipping.aspx
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/harman-kardon-avr-1710s-700-watt-7-2-channel-networked-av-receiver/
http://www.bosssound.ca/products/3258-harman-kardon-avr1710s-free-shipping.aspx

plguy wrote:
It needs 3 hdmi inputs, a few rca inputs and common things that an AV receiver needs. I want the best quality sound I can get ... are there any suggestions?
Thanks

You should go for harman/kardon AVR1710s as it has more "muscles" than it's little brother AVR1610s. The AVR1710s has 7 channels, but don't worry, you can use 5 of the channels. You can also use 3 of it's channels. You can even use only 2 of it's channels, until you get a center speaker and a sub later.

What about rear speakers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 am 

You can also use a harman/kardon HK 3770 two channel receiver for movie watching as well. harman/kardon AV receivers like AVR1610s and AVR1710s are famous for their powerful and seductive engaging sound for movies and even for two channel music listening. The HK 3770 two channel reveiver is even better for music listening than the HK AV receivers. And I suspect the HK 3770 sounds even better than the HK AV receivers for two channel movie watching as well.

Many years ago, I was actually looking for a HK AV receiver. However, the dealer then told me that the HK 3470 two channel receiver sounds a lot better than the HK AV receivers both for music listening and two channel movie watching. So I got the HK 3470 two channel receiver instead.

The HK 3470 is predecessor to HK 3770, so I can only imagine the HK 3770 may sound even better than the HK 3470.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/harman-kardon-hk3770-2-channel-stereo-receiver-network-connectivity-bluetooth/

Last edited by ELOS on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am 

Buy the cheapest receiver that will do what you want and when it breaks get another. Most AVR's don't play music very well. They do sound effects.
Under no circumstances even think of buying a Denon or Onkyo.
Yamaha or Anthem may be the best of the lot but that's not saying much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 am 

Yamaha AV receivers are famous for most convincing surround decoding for movies than the competitors, while on the other hand, the HK AV receivers and NAD AV receivers and Anthem AV receivers trounce Yamaha AV receivers when it comes to two channel music performance.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/anthem-mrx-510-with-music.1938502/
Quote:
'liamgdr' says: >>For what its worth, which may not be a lot, I recently swapped my budget 2 channel amp (Marantz pm6005) for a Anthem MRX 500! The first thing I noticed was how detailed the MRX 500 sounded in comparison to the Marantz two channel amp without loosing any warmth in the soundstage, the bass response was also better on the Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver than the Marantz pm6005 two channel amp! generally everything sounds clean and composed on MRX 500<<

plguy wrote:

I've tried to search for Rotel AV receiver models, and it seems the Rotel RSX-1562 is their only AV receiver model, way above your budget https://www.soundandvision.com/content/rotel-rsx-1562-av-receiver

Anthem's cheapes model from their newest MRX line the MRX 520's retail price is CAD $1700 , above your budget https://www.shopbot.ca/anthem-mrx/price/canada/868002

If you want a receiver with good musical qualities, then there are the previously suggested HK models within your budget.

There is also a NAD T 748V2 http://fillion.ca/en/catalog/product/237656-NAD-T-748V2 , or NAD T 758 https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_745T758/NAD-T-758.html?tp=73415&sync=13072016
Quote:
'Anonymous' says: >>I've owned many top brand A/V receivers, but none compare to the sound i'm getting from the NAD T 758. The overall sound is more detailed and pronounced. Music sounds better and movies are more dynamic.<<

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2058522-nad-receivers-worth-any-comparable.html
Quote:
'tedhontz' says: >>Once I heard the actual SOUND coming out of this "little" NAD T 743 receiver I was blown away. I have owned a Yamaha RX-V3300 and a Harmon/Kardon AVR7000 both flagship models and this NAD was putting them to shame.<<

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27524
Quote:
'lovethesound' says: >>I have just added a perfect addition to my Nad T757. I purchased a Nad C 275BEE two channel power amp and now use it to power my main (front) speakers. The receiver only powers the center and the rear speakers. It has really opened up the soundstage and gives the receiver alot more room to breathe. I just ran some two channel music tests and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. This NAD C275BEE power amp has power to burn. I now feel i have obtained the best of both worlds, two channel and multi-channel.<<

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am 

Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto carry NAD, maybe they have some NAD AV receivers in stock there https://baybloorradio.com/nad

https://trutone.ca/shop/products/searchresults/nad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:38 pm 

Bandy wrote:
Eli47 wrote:
plguy wrote:

Thanks

Extremely valid questions before any suggestions can be made. If it indeed is an office, I would ad, use at least 4 sets of speakers to avoid hot spots, also, Denon has been lacking in quality lately although in the past I would recommend it highly.

I might recommend looking into this brand new model from Onkyo.
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8270&class=Stereo%20Receiver&source=prodClass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am 

I've been out of commission for a while and it's given me time to think.
I'm telling you this because nothing good usually comes from thinking (in my case at least).
I purchased a Vizio 38" sound bar. There is no doubt it improves the TV sound. It sounded even better when I added my sub.
Problem is, I'm not really happy. I miss using an AVR.
I like the"effects" for movies and regular tv.
I started checking out AVR's online and a short visit to a store. In short most of the cheap ones really stink.
The ones I was able to touch and use at the BBS (Big Box Store) were dreadful. Thin cases that actually rang when you changed inputs. Spring loaded speaker connectors. HDMI ports that were loose, barely able to hold a cable. They ran hot (two of them anyway) the AM/FM reception was a joke and the stated output was wildly optimistic.
It gets worse. The sales rep "strongly recommended" an extended warranty because "the lower priced units had to cut a few corners in order to include the features everyone wants".
I asked about Onkyo's HDMI problems and the sales rep said they've gotten better but it's still a major trouble spot. :shock:
I thanked him and got the hell out of there.
Audio equipment was never this bad. Sure there's been a few pieces but the vast majority are miles better.
So for the near future, no new AVR for me. It's somewhat disappointing.
To the OP's question, if I had the money and didn't mind risky purchases, the higher end Yamaha's and Anthem's are about the only two I'd consider.
The Anthem has good build quality (didn't get to hear it) and a logical layout.
The Yamaha's are a beast. They really stood out from the crowd and despite having every feature known to mankind they weren't too difficult to use and they sounded better than average with the B-ray demo disc (something from Frozen).
Although the trip was only about 45 minutes it seemed much, much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm 

+1 for Anthem AVR. I’ve had the 700 & the 710 with good results.