Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

New Changes: Auctions and Buy It Now!

We're pleased to announce that Canuck Audio Mart has launched its new Auctions system. The Auctions system is currently fully functional, but we're classifying it as a BETA feature due to the complexity and scope of the system.

Auctions are a completely optional, value add feature that has a small upfront listing fee and a 2% closing fee when the auction successfully sells. CAM Auctions have many of the same features you've come to expect from online auctions including Reserve Price, Auto Bidding (through a maximum bid system), Public Questions&Answers, a fully disclosed anonymous bidding history, real time notifications when you are outbid, and a Buy It Now option.

How Auctions Work

When you click a button to create a new ad you can now see a new Auction option. Auctions are created like regular ads except you specify a starting price, the length of the auction (3, 7, or 14 days), an optional Reserve Price, and you must fill in shipping information including the cost of shipping. Auctions are started once you pay the listing fee and will show up in site search, on the homepage, and in a special Auctions page.

Buyers can bid a fixed price on an auction or can have CAM auto bid on their behalf by putting in a max bid value. Anyone can ask a public question which the seller can choose to answer for the public to see.

When the auction ends, the highest bid that is above the Reserve price will automatically win and the winner will be asked to pay directly on CAM and supply their shipping details. Sellers can then print a Shipping Label straight from CAM, print any Customs forms necessary, and then pack and ship the item to the buyer.

Fees?

Auctions have an upfront listing fee starting at $2. The listing fee is variable and increases slightly if you choose for longer auction times of 7 days or 14 days, and increases slightly if you use a Reserve price.

When an auction successfully sells there is a closing fee of 2% on the final auction price.

Buy It Now

We're pretty excited to announce also that there is now a Buy It Now option for both auctions and regular classifieds. To take advantage of this option you must have a Paypal account connected to your CAM account, after which you can check off "Enable Buy It Now" when creating or editing a classified.

The Buy It Now price on a classified is always the asking price, and if anyone successfully completes a Buy It Now purchase funds there is a 2% fee deducted from your payment received.

When a Classified has "Buy It Now" enabled there will be a new button shown to users so they can immediately Buy the item for the listed price. Payment is received right in your Paypal account along with the buyer's information.

This feature is completely optional for those who want to offer it to their buyers and can be turned on per ad or as a profile option so that all future ads you create have the feature enabled.

Auctions are a Beta Feature

Because of the complexity of Auctions, we're launching this as a Beta feature. The Auctions system is fully functional and ready to use, however, we do realize that as a new complex system we will have to keep a close eye on it as it is used.

Additional Notes on Fees

Auctions and Buy It Now are brand new, completely optional fee based features on CAM. Classifieds will always retain their current model of Free listings for casual users and hobbyists.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:31 pm 
Premium User

So, by using the 'Buy It Now' feature we need to calculate what the PayPal fees will be plus the 2% CAM charges and adjust our asking price accordingly.

Also eliminates the ability for someone to pay using EMT.

What happens if a buyer contacts you through the ad without using the 'Buy It Now' feature...and chooses to buy your item and pay EMT.

In other words...is possible to buy it now without choosing the buy it now option...?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Voodoo Funk,

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your question, I think you are asking whether we can make it so that clicking "Buy It Now" will let the user select a different payment type, such as EMT? I think in that scenario the buyer should just Reply To Ad and offer to buy the item with EMT payment.

The only time the seller pays a fee to CAM for Buy It Now is when the user clicks Buy It Now, and pays for the item on CAM.

Right now what "Buy It Now" does is just adds a button to your classified, if a buyer wants to use that they can do it. If they want to reply to the message and make an offer they can do that and you can arrange for payment using any method you wish with no fee.

Turning on "Buy It Now" is not a commitment as a seller to only accept payment through Buy It Now. And ads that have Buy It Now will only charge a fee if Buy It Now is used by your buyer. If they reply to your ad, call you up, or contact you using other methods you specify in your ad you can direct them to pay you in any manner at your discretion.

If sellers prefer, we can change Buy It Now on classifieds to a Buy It Now price so that you can set a different price for Buy It Now. It might change how the button looks. Since this is a new feature and only certain users will use it due to the fees, we will watch closely how useful it is. We decided to create the feature because some sellers have told us they wish the option existed.

What we have found in the past 6 months is that offering to allow a buyer to pay right away on CAM via Paypal creates a higher trust scenario that encourages faster payment, so I think Buy It Now can operate in the same way.

Buy It Now is also very useful/powerful because the ads must have shipping information attached to them. Many sellers find that answering questions about shipping costs is a fairly common and time consuming task. In the near future we will allow sellers to select "Actual shipping cost" as part of Buy It Now (eg instead of standard flat rate shipping within each country, sellers can offer real time calculations on the shipping cost to charge the buyer)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 pm 

I'm personally not too excited about these new features. First, is it so difficult to just contact someone the "old fashioned" way? I mean, sure there have been some squeaky wheels who have complained about losing an item for one reason or another, but how common is this in actual fact? I can however see the benefit of this feature though as it would avoid the haggle aspect that some people are squeamish about. But I would consider this in the category of "if it aint broke...."

As for the auction feature, I'm really confused about this since I recall it has been discussed numerous times in past threads and from my recollection, the consensus was an almost unanimous dislike for this. So why proceed with it? Why not even post a thread asking the CAM community (or did I miss it?). Just seems a bit unilateral in all fairness. That said, it is the prerogative of the site owners to do what they feel is in their/CAM members best interest.

Just my 2 cents and to each his own. I guess some might consider these features as a positive evolution.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm 

THIS SUCKS!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:11 pm 

Not sure these "upgrades " will improve the Canuck experience, only complicate things.
Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:12 pm 
Premium User

alberchas wrote:
THIS SUCKS!

Why? It's optional.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback dwolek, I appreciate reading your perspective on this. There's nothing wrong at all with using Classifieds and I encourage you and others to continue to do so if that's how you wish to list your items.

I don't think there was a universal dislike of the idea of auctions on the site, however, I'm definitely aware some users have no interest in listing auctions and that's OK. I personally find auctions interesting, but have no preference for auctions over classifieds. The nice thing is Auctions can exist and sellers who want to give it a try can do so, and sellers who don't want to give it a try don't have to use it. Where Auctions might be useful is in a scenario where a seller has an item they suspect is of a certain market value but isn't sure, so listing an Auction let's them get the highest sale value in a time limited listing. It won't be for everyone, but I feel it can be of benefit in certain situations. However, sometimes a seller is very confident of the value of an item and doesn't mind waiting to get his asking price, in such situations a Classified is much preferable. The two suit different scenarios or seller temperaments.

"Buy It Now" is a beast of a different nature. You are right the "good old fashioned way" of making offers through replies works very well. We had some users request "Buy It Now" and in my own personal experience I like using "Buy It Now" as a buyer in the right circumstances. Luckily, Buy It Now is completely optional and each seller can choose to use it or not. Please do note that enabling "Buy It Now" does not remove the Reply button. Both will exist.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:15 pm 

Some interesting features but I'm wondering if this might cause some issues having a buy it now option in a reg classified ad. What if there is a potential buyer that is communication with the seller, they agree to a deal & then someone else uses the buy it now option, who gets priority? I can see where this could lead to some issues if I'm understanding correctly. Most serious buyers are typically pretty quick with payments from my experience but there can be some time before agreement & payment. So the seller would need to mark his ad sold right away (to make sure no one else uses buy it now) & hope the buyer comes through, which seems like a pain. Also, if you make a deal & are meeting later in the day, or a following day, again the ad would have to be marked sold right away, to prevent a so called double purchase.

This leads to some other grey area's, what if you are just working out details with a potential buyer & again some else uses the buy it now? Normally a fair person would try to give priority to the order they were contacted/interest expressed but with buy it now they no longer have any control over this. I can see where this will cause some issues on reg ads. Now a buy it now option on an auction, on the other hands makes perfect sense/no issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 pm 
Premium User

Is this to make money CAM?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:24 pm 
Premium User

daren_p wrote:
Some interesting features but I'm wondering if this might cause some issues having a buy it now option in a reg classified ad. What if there is a potential buyer that is communication with the seller, they agree to a deal & then someone else uses the buy it now option, who gets priority? I can see where this could lead to some issues if I'm understanding correctly. Most serious buyers are typically pretty quick with payments from my experience but there can be some time before agreement & payment. So the seller would need to mark his ad sold right away (to make sure no one else uses buy it now) & hope the buyer comes through, which seems like a pain. Also, if you make a deal & are meeting later in the day, or a following day, again the ad would have to be marked sold right away, to prevent a so called double purchase.

This leads to some other grey area's, what if you are just working out details with a potential buyer & again some else uses the buy it now? Normally a fair person would try to give priority to the order they were contacted/interest expressed but with buy it now they no longer have any control over this. I can see where this will cause some issues on reg ads. Now a buy it now option on an auction, on the other hands makes perfect sense/no issues.

First one across the 'finish line' wins...a buyer would need to be aware that while he is inquiring and hasn't decided he might be beat out by somebody who is a little more decisive than he is!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

daren_p - excellent and well thought out points. I'd have to let experienced sellers help shape how this might work out. One thing we might have to allow is for the seller to refund a Buy It Now if a deal has already been established via Replies or other avenues. Certainly Buy It Now on a Classified could lead to some challenges for sellers, I suspect a seller must be very diligent about their listings maintenance if they want to take advantage of the feature.

It also means we probably want to make it easy to turn on and off Buy It Now without completely eliminating the shipping options you have to setup with it. We'll get to work on that right away. This could potentially address the situation where you are negotiating and want to temporarily disable the Buy It Now button. There's certainly a level of extra management needed.

I do think that if an item is prone to getting so much activity its almost better to start a No Reserve 3 day auction.

We also have to reserve the right to disable Buy It Now for sellers who have shown they cannot follow through after someone pays using it. There must be a level of trust and expectation with the feature.

Voodoo Funk also brings up a valid viewpoint. In the past I've participated in auctions where I'm waiting to make a bid, and someone just snatches the item through Buy It Now. I've certainly regretted a few of those. Overall, Buy It Now will not be for everyone, it might only be useful to a smaller subset of users, but I do believe it could be a useful tool and I believe it will evolve to be very convenient for both buyer and seller.

I do encourage anyone considering Buy It Now to include very detailed descriptions and as many photos as possible. That in itself is a net positive for the marketplace.

PS. there appears to be a bug with enabling Buy It Now. We will try to fix this ASAP.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
alberchas wrote:
THIS SUCKS!

Why? It's optional.

If there is something listed in an auction that I would like to purchase, then there is no option for me other than to participate in the auction.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm 
Premium User

alberchas wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
alberchas wrote:
THIS SUCKS!

Why? It's optional.

If there is something listed in an auction that I would like to purchase, then there is no option for me other than to participate in the auction.

Not entirely certain how auctions work but if there was something I wanted to purchase I would decide what is the most I would pay for it and then act accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:43 pm 
Premium User

alberchas wrote:

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Not entirely certain how auctions work but if there was something I wanted to purchase I would decide what is the most I would pay for it and then act accordingly.

The acting accordingly may require you need worry now that someone can "buy it now. The stress level for dealings like waiting for a response to buy may start to pose a real sucky feeling. So will the buy it now be an option while those interested wait for a response for a typical Canuck old school purchase?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next