Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am 

Hi guys,

I'm ready to move on to a different league of tube amp from my original Prima Luna Prologue One (running Tung Sol 120's) which has treated me very well on a number of different speakers.

From my research and digging through the internet and forums I've made my decision on a Coincident 845SE. I love the dual mono design, massive power reserves, amazing reviews and it's Canadian made. My other choice was a Line Magnetic 518IA but I've ultimately decided on the 845. It's to be taken with a grain of salt but the 6 Moons review stated the 845 bested the 518 in all aspects although it is absolutely massive and heavy but I can accommodate that.

I will be running this amp mainly on a pair of Totem Embers which I'm currently breaking in and so far liking a lot. Sources are generally Tidal Hi Fi streaming, cd and occasionally vinyl. My listening generally consists of modern folk, classic rock/folk, blues and everything else under the sun. I normally listen at medium volumes about 11 feet away from my speakers in a large room. (1500sq feet). Of course I may get a little louder after a few Scotchies. :)

My questions are as follows:

1) Any reliability issues with this girl? I work out of town half the time but when I'm home, the amp will run all day long.

2) Any certain characteristics/quirks with the amp or sound you didn't quite care for?

3) In the $3-5k Canadian range, any other combos that can be recommended?

4) Anyone know why Coincident stopped producing this big integrated?

Thank you! I'd also love to hear any thoughts on this amp in general as there are not many reviews online.

Turntable: Rega RP1 w/ Rega Fono Mini A2D
CD Player: NAD 517
Speakers: Tekton Double Impacts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:04 pm 

No owners to chime in on this beauty? Good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:54 pm 
Premium User

Be patient. This is not a mass produced piece made in the tens of thousands; it is a relatively rare, hand made, Canadian market unit with total production numbers in the low hundreds or even high tens. Someone is bound to notice your post sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
Be patient. This is not a mass produced piece made in the tens of thousands; it is a relatively rare, hand made, Canadian market unit with total production numbers in the low hundreds or even high tens. Someone is bound to notice your post sooner or later.

But... But... It's 2017 and I'm entitled to instant gratification just like everyone else!

Haha all jokes aside, you're right. Someone has to have one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:21 pm 

Yes, there are a few of us 845SE owners out there.

I have had the amp for almost 2 years. I will admit it is a scary beast seeing those 845 bottles light up and which, by the way, throw off a fair amount of heat.

My system is largely Coincident which includes the phono pre-amp and Super Victory II speakers as well as all the cabling.

You asked about reliability. I did have some issues at the onset for whatever reason and frankly can't recall if it was a bad cap or something else. Nevertheless, Israel Blume replaced this promptly. I live in Oakville so the trek to North Toronto was not an issue to have it serviced.

While the amp is quiet I do notice a faint buzz in the speakers - whether this is 60hz related or not, I can't say. The high efficiency speakers may be exaggerating the issue. Nevertheless, on needle drop or soft passsages i can't hear it so it doesn't concern me.

This was my first foray into tube amps and while some have remarked lack of bass from tubes, the 845SE has plenty bottom end to my ears. Deep bass, wide soundstage and dynamic.

I intend to hold on to it for some time.

Hope this helps in your deliberations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm 

Grooveguy wrote:

I have had the amp for almost 2 years. I will admit it is a scary beast seeing those 845 bottles light up and which, by the way, throw off a fair amount of heat.

My system is largely Coincident which includes the phono pre-amp and Super Victory II speakers as well as all the cabling.

You asked about reliability. I did have some issues at the onset for whatever reason and frankly can't recall if it was a bad cap or something else. Nevertheless, Israel Blume replaced this promptly. I live in Oakville so the trek to North Toronto was not an issue to have it serviced.

While the amp is quiet I do notice a faint buzz in the speakers - whether this is 60hz related or not, I can't say. The high efficiency speakers may be exaggerating the issue. Nevertheless, on needle drop or soft passsages i can't hear it so it doesn't concern me.

This was my first foray into tube amps and while some have remarked lack of bass from tubes, the 845SE has plenty bottom end to my ears. Deep bass, wide soundstage and dynamic.

Thanks for your reply and especially as a first post. Also seems to be a great first step into tubes!

Good to hear Israel took care of you. I'm sure your system sounds stellar.

Interesting note on the buzz whether it's power related or not. Acceptable as long as it's not noticeable through your music.

If you don't mind me asking, how far away is your listening chair from your speakers?

From what I've read, the 845 does does very well on the bottom end so that's encouraging.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm 

347strokin wrote:
Grooveguy wrote:

Thanks for your reply and especially as a first post. Also seems to be a great first step into tubes!

Good to hear Israel took care of you. I'm sure your system sounds stellar.

Interesting note on the buzz whether it's power related or not. Acceptable as long as it's not noticeable through your music.

If you don't mind me asking, how far away is your listening chair from your speakers?

From what I've read, the 845 does does very well on the bottom end so that's encouraging.

Thanks again.

I was considering this, probably read the same review..I believe the review alluded to a very slight trafo buzz compared to the LM, beat it in pretty much every other regard.
My speakers are very efficient(103 db) so I did not jump on it..I don't think it will be an issue at all with your Totems at 88 db.
I bet it will sound very good..love the big triodes(211's, 845's).
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 am 

The listening chair is about 2.5m from the speakers measured on the diagonal.

One other thing I should mention that might be of interest to the tube amp owners out there especially those running big triodes. Tube amps like source voltage in the 110-120v range - the lower part of the range the better. When I had the problem on initial start up that I talked about, Israel suggested I measure my voltage coming out of the wall. It turned out to be 126v. Whether this contributed to the issue , I will never know, maybe unlikely since you would think the amp is more resilient to take some fluctuations in current. Nevertheless the existing condition was not optimal.

Israel recommended I purchase a Variac to dial down the AC, one of which I found on eBay and promptly installed. Voltage now is set at 115v and things are working quite fine.

There is another benefit to the Variac:
Without the device, when I turned the amp on, I was never comfortable with the surge and "slam" of big current going into those tubes. What I do now is leave the amp switch on and power up with the Variac. The device gently raises the voltage to its set peak and the tubes nicely reach that warm orange glow. It is my perception that this approach is easier on the tubes and hope that it prolongs their lifespan. Replacing 300B's and 845's reaches deep into the pocket book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 am 

The amp in question (845se) is no longer listed on the Coincident web site.
Is it still being made or is it a special order item?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 am 

MENDEL24 wrote:
The amp in question (845se) is no longer listed on the Coincident web site.
Is it still being made or is it a special order item?

It's a discontinued model. Can still be found on their site under discontinued.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm 

Well guys, thank you so much for the feedback on this amplifier.

To tell the truth I've had more than a few kind gentleman PM me and let me know they have had some reliability issues. Namely blown fuses, caps and they seem to be quite sensitive to power supply. This is not necessarily a knock on Coincident as this is a great product with great reviews. And these issues could be one offs but I'd rather not take the chance with this beast right now.

Really appreciate this site and the feedback.

I did end up pulling the trigger on a new Prima Luna Dialogue Premium HP today through a local dealer. Not exactly what I was after but I've been loving my original PL One for a long time and I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm 

And as far as I'm aware coincident gear is not made in Canada but is made in China. Not necessarily a horrible thing but just good to be aware of this. Between the two I would go for the line magnetic. I've been running 845's for quite some time and do love them. I have a pair of Sophia mono blocks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm 

Only certain components of the products are made in China,final assembly in Ontario.