Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Canton
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm 

Any comments on this brand?

They have been around for quite some time but they always seem to be the proverbial bride's maid.

Anyone with first hand experience with their Vento line?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Canton
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

Not all that common in these parts but likely worth a listen. I've heard them briefly years ago now, at a shop when I was browsing, they had a few on display, recall the Ergo's were in the same setup as a pair of Monitor Audio Silvers (which ever model was current at the time, probably 6-7 years back) & to me the Ergo was the superior speaker (though its list was ~$3500 vs ~$2300). Probably what some would describe as typical German house sound, clean, fairly neutral, good detail, etc (don't recall all the specifics now).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 am 

IMHE with some of their products I would stay away. I wanted to recap the speaker crossovers but the e-caps don't have a value printed on them and there's no point in measuring the value of an out of spec part. I contacted the factory a few times and did not receive a reply. I contacted their Canadian distributor and there was the same great customer disservice ... nothing, nada, zip, zero reply. So contacting both left me with nothing more than the orchestral chatter of crickets!

My suggestion is to tread softly at your own risk. There is plenty of competition out there with good products so no need to deal with company's that feel that customer service and customer retention isn't important.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 am 

I have the Ergo 1200DC, similar to the Vento of the day - 2004. I am quite happy with it. Today's Ventos would be quite a bit superior. The sound is very clear, neutral, tight but ample bass, great soundstage. If Canton or a retail distributor are not helping, one might search installers who carry the products.