Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:46 pm 

As I sit in my newly renovated office with my new office hifi setup I am realizing that through nothing more than educated guesses in equipment selection I have hit a home run. I was just wondering what the guys on CAM have done that was an experiment or frankly just a guess that turned out to be a great success?

My office rig

-Intel Nuc >Roon + hard drive and Tidal
-W4S usb-spdif D-D converter
-Nuprime DAC9
-XLR - Two Nuprime STA9 amps in mono configuration
-Nordost purple flare speaker cable
-Kef LS50
-Definative Technology SC8000 sub

I gotta say in this 12' x12' room it sounds fantastic and I literally guessed at the equipment combo based on on the regular web reports of this and that

Tell us what/which success you have stumbled upon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm 
Premium User

Had one recently.

I've been curious about ELAC speakers with coaxial drivers for at least a decade but the situation to try a pair never presented itself. I bought a pair of FS 607 X-Jet recently without hearing them just hoping the technology is as good as it was on paper. To my surprise they surpassed ATC SCM40 and Audio Note AN-E for what I consider a best value in speakers. The average used price is approximately 1/10 the value of my main speakers so I'd consider that a hell of a deal. Now I will wait patiently for FS 509 VX-JET to come up used. I wish they were all successes but it's a roll of the dice buying gear unheard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm 

Alot of educated guesses and just my ears to trust has led me to my current system which for an apartment is very nice.
I have 2 Bryston 2lp bridged in mono through Energy pro 22's on stands.
My current preamp is a winner for me. A PS Audio 5.0 class A model with a world class phono pre built in with adjustable gain and loading.
My TT is a Pro-ject RPM 3 with a Denon dl110 moving coil. I have an Amcron electronic tuner that a Cam member gave away for free and a Tascam CD401 cdp.
It may seem like a mish mash to some but it delivers the goods.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm 

great to hear you are enjoying the Nuprime gear.
I recently took advantage of some hot local dealer buys and changed up most of my main system, going against my plan to simplify.
The surprise was how my speakers responded. I always knew they were a good value and have been thinking I should upgrade to be in line with the value of the rest of the system. Home auditions of others are indicating I will need to spend considerably more to realize a gain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm 

James_W wrote:
Had one recently.

I've been curious about ELAC speakers with coaxial drivers for at least a decade but the situation to try a pair never presented itself. I bought a pair of FS 607 X-Jet recently without hearing them just hoping the technology is as good as it was on paper. To my surprise they surpassed ATC SCM40 and Audio Note AN-E for what I consider a best value in speakers. The average used price is approximately 1/10 the value of my main speakers so I'd consider that a hell of a deal. Now I will wait patiently for FS 509 VX-JET to come up used. I wish they were all successes but it's a roll of the dice buying gear unheard.

It sure is a roll of the dice and it took an awful long time with many less than fortunate decisions to get my main rig sounding as good as the money spent....with my office rig it started with a very well priced set of the Kef LS50's and then a bunch of internet homework from there hoping that what I read was actually the way the Nuprime gears would perform....

Honestly it was about time I got a break with this stuff

-- 20 Apr 2017 23:44 --

mpublicover wrote:
great to hear you are enjoying the Nuprime gear.
I recently took advantage of some hot local dealer buys and changed up most of my main system, going against my plan to simplify.
The surprise was how my speakers responded. I always knew they were a good value and have been thinking I should upgrade to be in line with the value of the rest of the system. Home auditions of others are indicating I will need to spend considerably more to realize a gain.

And yes thanks for the Nuprime gear for the first time in a very long time I feel like I got great value for my money...to be frank I just wanted something that could do dsd and had enough power to light the Kefs up....I really had no idea this stuff would marry together as well as it does....fun stuff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
My current preamp is a winner for me. A PS Audio 5.0 class A model with a world class phono pre built in with adjustable gain and loading.
Cheers

We can't try all gear out there, but one that I used to own and thought was a real sweet piece, was the PS audio 5.0. I nearly bought the one that was recently for sale, but realized...I really don't need it piling up with other stuff. I wanted that feeling of new discovery and musical fun back, but well, we can't truly go back.

If you re-cap it with premium grade caps, it will pick up in quality, yet again.

I only use our own passive preamp these days, and I even put my 3 chassis MFA Venusian prototype preamp away. But I have fond memories of the 5.0 preamp. Watch out for the selector switch getting dirty. That is a good switch used in many pieces of gear by many audio companies, but after about 20+ years, they tend to need a cleaning.

I'd say one of the 'lucky successes' (Ok, the top one), would be the 3-chassis MFA Venusian octal tube preamp (40 pound power supply!).

For $108. From eBay. It will swing approx 160V into a 600 ohm load. (55V rms) Which is utterly ridiculous but not unexpected from an octal tube output 'extreme' preamp. Not shortening up too much in the way of dynamics with that kind of output and little in the way of non-linearity.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Cheers

We can't try all gear out there, but one that I used to own and thought was a real sweet piece, was the PS audio 5.0. I nearly bought the one that was recently for sale, but realized...I really don't need it piling up with other stuff. I wanted that feeling of new discovery and musical fun back, but well, we can't truly go back.

If you re-cap it with premium grade caps, it will pick up in quality, yet again.

I only use our own passive preamp these days, and I even put my 3 chassis MFA Venusian prototype preamp away. But I have fond memories of the 5.0 preamp. Watch out for the selector switch getting dirty. That is a good switch used in many pieces of gear by many audio companies, but after about 20+ years, they tend to need a cleaning.

Thanks alot Ken.
Your vote of confidence really makes me glad i got it.
It was a choice i made after experimenting briefly with an Eric Yam passive pre.
Really nice but the 5.0 really has a sweetness to it and works so well with the Bryston.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

My lucky success of all times is a pair of headphones... My dealer picked up a pair of mint AKG 812 ( I mean really mint - 25 hours at the most ) and I decided to try them as the price was very good. Never heard them before. Home run... i used them with Chord Hugo TT and now with Aurender A10/Woo WA22 combo. Fantastic balance and definition. A real lucky find...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 pm 

Pass Labs Aleph series amplifiers have intrigued me ever since they were introduced in the early 1990s. At about $2300 and up, a new one was out of the question. Even today, the cheapest of the lot still sells for over US$1,000, which my budget will not allow. Several months ago, a CAM member advertised his First Watt F5 clone (a Nelson Pass design), and I took a chance and bought it.

Would 25WPC of Class A mosfet power be enough to juice my Martin Logan electrostatic speakers to a satisfactory volume level? And would a DIY amp built by a hobbyist prove to be a reliable, good sounding purchase? Six months later, I am as happy as the proverbial pig in s**t. Plenty of power for the ML speakers, and the amp has performed flawlessly (thank you, Khalid). And - oh, the sound. Glorious! Wonderful! All the audiophile praises apply, tenfold. Many evenings have been spent lost in the music, without a thought about the equipment playing it. Several audio buddies questioned a low-power SS amp with electrostatic speakers - until they came to visit for a few hours. One of them now has the F5 Turbo version in his system. Total cost of my stereo, including Roon lifetime subscription, Korg DS DAC 100m and Meitner PA6i preamp, is less than $2,000 (the ML speakers were a gift). Several tube amps have left the building (kept one just in case), a borrowed Bryston has gone back whence it came, and a Museatex mosfet amp is doing duty with bookshelf Mission speakers for Netflix only. IMHO, low power class A solid state is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm 

Dynaudio 52SE: Purchased 3x over past 12 years. I will never sell my last pair purchased.

Every audiofool should have a pair....like someone who quit smoking years ago still keeps an ol' pack of cigs in the drawer.